Wire wheels and Tubes, WARNING.

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Alan Smith1

Wire wheels and Tubes, WARNING.

Post by Alan Smith1 »

I am posting this warning on behalf of member Bob Williams (Alan).

I thought I should share the problems I have had with wire wheels on my CV8. I should point out that my comments are about wire wheels in general, note anything to do with fitting them to Jensen’s.
Wire wheels were fitted to my CV8 in 1992, a couple of years prior to my purchase of the car. When fitted some errors were made that have caused punctures over the last couple of years.
The tyres fitted were suitable for tubeless wheels, understandable as these are more readily available. Tyres for tube wheels are smooth on the inside; tubeless tyres have ridges on the inside and can also have maker’s labels inside. A label was the cause of my first puncture. Although the label felt very smooth and had no raised edges it had left a mirror image of the label on the inner tube words and all. The puncture in the tube corresponded to the edge of the label. Lesson learnt is when you have tyre fitted to a tube wheel make sure the tyre fitter grinds out any labels.
The ridges in the tyres, although leave an impression on the tube, have never caused me any problems.
The other mistake made when the tyres were originally fitted was for the fitter to use what looked like electrical tape over the spoke nipples on the inside of the wheel. This tape was put over both the inner and outer nipples and over time hardened, split into knife like edges and punctured the inner tube.
The correct elastic tape is easy enough to obtain so there is no need to use anything else. However, I was only able to obtain the correct tape for the inner spoke nipples, when I asked about a tape for the outer set I was told there was no need to fit as the tyre itself protects the tube from these.
One more point about fitting tubes, it is a good idea to take some French chalk with you (Baby talcum powder will do) just in case the tyre fitters have non as the tubes must be lubricated when fitted if this is not done, it can also result in premature failure of the tube.
Balancing Centre Lock Wheels.
I have wires fitted to my Morgan as well as my CV8, one of the biggest problems I have had is finding a tyre fitter that has the correct cones to balance the wheels. The cones required are a 60 degree male and 20 degree female to mimic the fitting of the wheel onto the hub. Be very careful about the fitter who states that he can fit them xxx€œno troubleâ€
Keith

Post by Keith »

Good post Alan.

I've had wire wheels fitted to Jaguars both here and in Australia, and no matter how careful and aware of the problems you are, they ae still prone to punctures. It is not always possible to get tyres of the correct type (ie, suitable for tubes), so you may have to fit tubes to tubeless tyres. I did find that the inner ribs would chafe on the tube but the lubricating talcum is a must.

The last puncture I had (due to wires) was fifteen years ago on March 30. Why do I remember so clearly?

I came out of the Horton Maternity ward (in Banbury), and walked over to the car park; Ross was about two hours old. It was 3.30 in the morning. I had a bloody puncture!

Keith
Paul Boulton

Post by Paul Boulton »

When fitting new tyres to wire wheels it is important to make sure there are no labels or stickers inside the tyre because when the tyre heats up in use, the adhesive leaks out and grabs the tube and you have instant deflation-- and possibly brown trousers!
When I first put the 541 on the road this happened to me (but fortunately not the brown trousers). I made the tyre fitters remove all the tyres and they all had small stickers in them. Personally I have not had any further trouble with punctures on the 541, but I would not have a new tyre fitted unless I had checked the inside first.
In my experience most tyre firms will say they can balance wire wheels and then proceed to mount them incorrectly because they do not have the right adaptors. Try telling some of these young men that they are not doing it correctly and they are not amused. :evil:
What? Is it working?

Return to “General Discussion”