What Next? A Electric Jensen?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Robinson D

What Next? A Electric Jensen?

Post by Robinson D »

May be a California thing:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/19/motorspo ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Restoring a MKII, 125/5052
Richie
V8 Lover

Re: What Next? A Electric Jensen?

Post by Richie »

Very Possibly, who knows - perhaps JIA are working on one now...

here's the Electric E Type I posted pics of a while back - there are plenty of companies doing similar conversions...

Electric 1972 911:

Perhaps the perfect city classic:

Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

That box thing with XK 330-4 on top is the battery pack and the electric motor sits in the space previously occupied by the gearbox. Apparently that new setup is 46kg lighter than the original XK engine and 4-speed gearbox. The Jaguar is reported to have a 150mph top speed and a 170 mile "real world" range.
All we need to do is get a V8 shaped battery pack so at least it kind of looks similar, a 300hp electric motor to replace the Torqueflite and a some small loudspeakers to replicate the unique Chrysler V8 sound and Bob's your uncle, we'd be well away. Into the future. No more problems with city centre driving in the new ULEZ's. No more overheating problems. No more petrol needed. Perhaps with an extra battery in the space vacated by the fuel tank we could get the range up to 240 - 250 miles, not very much less than the current range on petrol.
Bring it on! Although you won't find me in the queue to have it done
:D :D
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Sounds good.
I don't know a great deal about electric cars but I'm surprised to see a radiator at the front of the E type there. Do batteries need cooling?
If so, in the event of an electric Interceptor, this cooling could be deliberately compromised to carry on with our overheating worries, thereby maintaining and preserving some of the classic interceptor experience...
Michael Richardson

Post by Michael Richardson »

Ritchie. I suspect that the radiator is part of an aircon system for the passengers,but it does look as if it may also provide cooling within the battery box.
hemi

Post by hemi »

But why, Why, WHY ????

Matt
Interceptor II, 123/3936
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

hemi wrote:But why, Why, WHY ????

Matt
Pourquoi pas?
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
hemi

Post by hemi »

That's no answer to why...

We don't put gas turbine engines into a Spitfire or Messerschmitt to make it efficient, more environmentally friendly, or make warm and fuzzy about the environment - we don't do it because that's the way they were meant to be - noisy, hot, inefficient, high maintenance and expensive.... but loads of fun!

If they were electric, there would be little need for a forum like this and what would be tinker with on the weekend??

:)

Matt.
Last edited by hemi on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interceptor II, 123/3936
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

I guess in the longer term if market forces dictate that petrol availability goes the same way as leaded petrol, we may have little choice...
hemi

Post by hemi »

That's just being practical :D

I must say the E type was very nicely done..

Matt
Interceptor II, 123/3936
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

In answer to why, whether we like it or not electric vehicles are coming with all the accompanying adjustments in the way we go about travelling and moving goods about. Whether there is enough raw materials for batteries for over 1 billion electric cars around the world I have no idea but electric seems to be the way that authorities around the world have decided we should go in the future.
We already know that from 2040 cars with only an internal combustion engine will not be sold in this country and by 2050 all cars on the road need to have zero emissions, in Holland the same applies from 2025, in Germany also from 2040 and I think France from 2030. In Norway all news cars and vans sold from 2025 must be zero emissions.
In reality the move to hydrid and all electric cars will happen long in advance of those dates and I predict that in less than 10 years there will be no more new cars with only an internal combustion engine. They will all be hybrid (still requiring petrol for now) or all electric. More and more electrical infrastructure will be installed to support an increasing electric vehicle population and as it does the infrastructure for petrol will decrease. Somewhere in this development will be a tipping point where petrol becomes uneconomic to refine and distribute.
When the majority of cars on the road are electric will it still be socially acceptable to drive your petrol guzzling, CO2 emitting Jensen even to shows? Who knows? Sales of diesel cars have fallen off a cliff since the scandal over emissions as the public respond to concerns over those emissions. Already many cities have ultra low emission zones, some do allow exemptions for classic cars, others don't. Those restrictions will only increase in the future and much as the classic car movement might lobby for exemptions it will not always succeed. At the moment I live within the London Low Emission Zone. The Ultra Low Emission Zone is only for central London but if that was extended to the same area as the LEZ and classics were not exempted then I would not be able to drive my Jensen without paying a surcharge each time I went out. That is assuming they would allow for the paying of a surcharge in the future.
Like it or not classic cars represent less than 1% of cars on the road and while they contribute richly to the heritage of the industry and of the country the authorities are more concerned about the other 99%. The reality is that we are too small a minority. Am I being pessimistic? I don't think so, I think this is being realistic.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

It’s not only about cars. Maybe most cars will be hybrid or electric. But what about trucks, buses, tractors. Not sure if purely electric taxis would be able to function for 2x4hrs or however long they work. Police cars, ambulances, firetrucks? Delivery vans, garbage trucks?
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

True, it's not only about cars. As I said, there will be adjustments in how we travel and move goods about. Things will be done differently. Operations for delivery vans will require a rethink. However, there are already 100% battery operated buses in London. They get charged overnight and run the entire day on a single charge, with capacity to spare. Harrods already run 100% battery operated delivery vans in London that get recharged once or twice per week. Ambulances and Fire trucks spend 90% of their time waiting. Beijing already operates all electric taxis. It's not about the number of hours, it's about how far they get driven in those hours. Long distance trucks can only drive for 11 hours in 14 hours before taking a mandatory 10 hour break. Plenty of time to recharge. You can't think the same when you are relying on battery power, it will be thought and operated differently. We will have to adapt. You won't be able to drive 300 miles/480km, fill up in 5 minutes and drive another 200 miles on electricity so you will have to do it differently, it might take longer. That will be the penalty but it's how it will be. Perhaps for such long distances we will see a resurgance of Motorrail services. Who knows.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
Michael Richardson

Post by Michael Richardson »

Chris. You obviously have got your head around how electric will evolve,and I agree that this may be sooner than planed,or predicted...By the way,that E type ?? well,what a fab machine, However,my question to you is,how much is it going to cost to (a) recharge at home or (b) McDonalds carpark/Tesco/city centre,when they have you as a captive customer ? You will have to pay their price,or you will not be going anywhere.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Michael Richardson wrote:Chris. You obviously have got your head around how electric will evolve,and I agree that this may be sooner than planed,or predicted...By the way,that E type ?? well,what a fab machine, However,my question to you is,how much is it going to cost to (a) recharge at home or (b) McDonalds carpark/Tesco/city centre,when they have you as a captive customer ? You will have to pay their price,or you will not be going anywhere.
No idea but I imagine a combination of market forces, competition and if necessary government regulation will sort that out. If you don't like the price you can charge up somewhere else. You won't be a captive customer unless you've run out of electricity completely which is not much different to running out of petrol today. If you run out of petrol today on the motorway I could charge you £20/litre because unless you pay you won't be going anywhere! Nothing to stop you erecting some solar panels at home and charging up the car from those when you can!
Chris
JOC Member 6116

Return to “General Discussion”