Worlds Fastest Jensen Help Wanted

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
cannonball

Re: Worlds Fastest Jensen Help Wanted

Post by cannonball »

Ian Northeast wrote:Cannonball, driving on wet, rutted and bumpy sand is a hell of a lot harder than it looks.
There is a fair amount of drag from the surface and I couldn't put my foot down too quickly as the back wheels were spinning up in top.
The best description of the sensation would be to drive your car with loose track rod ends.
The weekend was simply my only training run before we head out to America. I was deliberately looking for the worse bits of surface to try and get used to the feeling.
If it was easy everyone would do it.

Sorry to miss you Tim, it was a good evening and the IMPS lot were very interested.

Martin I made it to Wales thanks to the generosity of people like you and am eternally grateful.

Ian
Well that explains it thank you,,good luck with it,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

just curious but to be the worlds fastest jensen
what speed must you reach?
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

More than the 164 mph that I did on the Autobahn ( no official time keeping :D )
Frightening speed in a CV8, needed two lanes and wind from the rear 8)
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
DaveT
JOC 541 Registrar

Post by DaveT »

Hi, I believe that when owned and driven by Malcolm Verey, the 541R race car (DS5 engine!) was getting well above 140mph on the track.
Dave Turnage
Colchester

JOC 8674
JOC 541 Registrar
541S, 100/1061
541R, 6002/387 (now in lots of pieces!)
Alvis speed 25 DHC
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I once did 147mph on a German Autobahn, as Joerg said two lanes and the the thing that surprised me it seemed to go on tip toes if that makes sense? I presume the going under the front valance caused this.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

The front is lifted so much that there is no further movement in the front suspension. The shock absorbers are looked in the upper position - I think that’s the reason for Ian’s front spoiler.
Ian Northeast

Post by Ian Northeast »

Finally got the videos uploaded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDkd0x1F11M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVia5MzNXf0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian
Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Very cool 8)
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

Ian (and Joerg)
Work has been grinding me here in Cardiff by the Sea CA, but I am finally thinking about my vacation to England and Germany coming up in a few weeks. I believe we arrive at Heathrow on the 23rd and head to the Cotswolds for a few days of relaxation/touring, then to Beachy Head for a few days of the same, then off to Germany. Im excited as Ive never been to England before. I am/was hoping to meet you (Ian and Joerg) on my travels if possible (Joerg in Herten?). I am bound and determined to head to the salt flats to see Ian run and help in any way that I can to support the effort stateside as soon as we get back home. Weve been working hard on my support vehicle (75 GMC motorhome) to get ready for the drive to Utah, its going to be close, but thats another long story. The AC is working great, at least for now.
My brain says lift when 9272 gets to about 160mph... The hood starts to bulge upwards and the back end starts to feel really loose. A front air dam would help the aero out a lot. Not sure if thats going to be legal in a stock class as only the last few Interceptors had them. Ive had this discussion with the SCTA guys and we feel we may be able to cheat a bit there, at least at Elmirage.
Bruce
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
Ian Northeast

Post by Ian Northeast »

Hello all,
Whilst I seem to be having more than my fair share of last minute headaches, the car will be ready for Bonneville.
The shipping is nearly confirmed and the finishing touches are going on as we speak.
It's really happening!!

On a lighter note I have a fantastic feature and the cover of this months (July) Practical Performance Car. Well worth a look!

Ian

Bruce really looking forward to meeting you in Utah!
Ian Northeast

Post by Ian Northeast »

Hi all,
Just a quick update to anyone that hasn't been keeping an eye on our website. http://www.worldsfastestjensen.co.uk
We made it!
car on the salt small.png
car on the salt small.png (1015.79 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
Ian
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Well done. I followed your postings and I´m glad that you enjoyed to som much - Bonneville it is a unique place that once you´ve been there never let you go.
I hope you spend some hours with a good powerful steam cleaner - otherwise there will be not much left of your car when it comes out of the container :-)

In two years (2020) you should go for another run - it could be done with the help of good friends 8)

Joerg
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

Joerg,
Bonneville is a wild place indeed! While Ians car did not demonstrate its true potential (The motor is very stout and a joy to tune) We did prove that the Jaguar spec'd 5 speed transmission is NOT capable of the power output of the 496 cu in Mopar. With a new transmission and smaller (non turbo specd injectors) I can see Ian's car in the 175+mph lane. 7 days of grueling 12 hour prep sessions in the extreme heat was quite a challenge! I am still recovering from the event. I am now fully hooked and will be building a Jensen based car to race at ElMirage, the dry lake bed about 15min away from my shop... I guess I can thank Ian for that :wink: It was a real pleasure to meet and work with Ians team: Andy, Harry and Peter and Teddy as well as Ian's wife Janine and Harry's wife Penny. I had the time of my life! Thank You for the good times!
Bruce
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
shaun

Post by shaun »

I feel it is apt, that as the Chairman of the JOC, I ought to respond and doff my cap to all of you who were out there giving it your best.
No doubt you have all learnt a lot about going for speed records, how the vehicle behaves and above all about each of you to become a special band of Jensen brothers and sisters.
If you dont push the envelope you will never know how far you can go.
So Ian and Andy, you are booked in at the International next June around 21.30 to tell us all the story.

Thanks to everyone involved with this extremely unique event.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

A great effort and one that was clearly challenging and full of problems and I too take my hat off to you guys for a valiant effort.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905

Return to “General Discussion”