I am a new member

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
fasteddie

I am a new member

Post by fasteddie »

Hi all I am a new member and on Saturday I purchased an Interceptor MK3 Reg Rev 2M Chassis number found just by the Battery 2240.9457 DATE 2 . 74 ENGINE NO ====
3693830. 440.8 So the numbers are not the same. is this ok ? I will take it for what it is. I am applying for the Log book next week so will see how that pans out.

I am worried though as a front valence has been welded on. Didt notice this when I took a look underneath. The car had been in a garage for 34 years so he told me. It was his fathers and he is not well so has had to sell the car on his behalf. I have tried to do a check on the car but nothing comes up as for Cat C D of finance. As is also the same on Auto Trader as they do the same check. You guys are amazing and the experts. If there is any way I can get more info on the car I would love that. He did give me old Manuals and parts book. But anyone can get them. If the car was recorded as cat C D it would of been on the records. The welding of the work is good. I will get it all back to bare metal and asses how to go from here.
The car does not run at the moment but does turn by hand with ease. The engine oil looks fairly clean. I will take out the plugs and oil the ports. Turn by hand leave and do that for a few days.
There is no ignition when tried. The electrics are all over the place. OMG the starter motor on these are hidden away. I will try to upload some pics.
All Iam after is a straight car but at the moment it aint looking good. But then again cars of 44yrs young may have some ex damage.
The interior is not to bad. Will need cleaning and new carpet
Only recorded as 59000 miles.
The car is solid underneath and has a new stainless steel exhaust. The AC wiring has been cut as has the front hoses.

I will need to get hold of an auto electrician. If anyone knows one.
I will do a part restoration and get the car running with an MOT and then probably sell as an ongoing project. But I do love these cars and will put a lot of care to get this ol girl running.

Wish me luck.
Attachments
DSC00231.JPG
DSC00231.JPG (155.65 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
DSC00213.JPG
DSC00213.JPG (92.85 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
DSC00206.JPG
DSC00206.JPG (152.39 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
DSC00217.JPG
DSC00217.JPG (145.41 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
Last edited by fasteddie on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Re: I am a new member

Post by KaranMK2 »

I found that the file held by Martin Robey was very useful In terms of early history of my car. Give them a phone call and see if they have a file on your car. I recall paying £20 or so for a photocopy of the record they had and remarkably I was able to speak to first owner of my 1970 Mark 2 who was full of more useful information when I contacted him. Good luck. Karan
Keith

Post by Keith »

fasteddie wrote:I am worried though as a front valence has been welded on.
Welcome to the forum Eddie.

I'd be more worried if the front valence was not welded on!

That fantastic registration number was on the car from new, so make sure it stays with the car.

You'll get plenty of advice on here when you have specific problems.

And good luck!
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I will also add my welcome to that of Keith's and wish you success in 2018 on your project. According to the DVLA your car was last taxed in July 1985 so the story of being in the garage since then is probably right. You won't find anything on any of those computerised databases, none of them existed way back then. I don't think they even had the old insurance category write offs back then so you won't find anything on that either.
Chassis number 2240/9457 was indeed REV 2M from new as Keith said. Engine number should be 4C12383 which you should find on a flat pad by the distributor. Original colour was "Red" and marked as "Special Paint". That probably means it is not a standard Jensen red colour. Interior was Beige and also of note it was fitted with a Phillips RN712 Radio Cassette player with a Microphone option. It left the factory on 7th February 1974.
Sounds like you've found a gem and a very worthwhile project. Just a small note: if you have just bought the car and are transferring it to your name then you will need to declare SORN for the car even though it hasn't been taxed in 32 years.
Your local JOC area is the Thames Valley group. We meet at the Novello pub on the Bath Road, Littlewick Green, SL6 3RX on the 1st Thursday of the month from about 7.30pm onwards, you will be more than welcome to join us. Next meeting is on 4th January 2018.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

Chris Thank you so much for the information it helps me so much. Funny I would of painted it red if I had a choice..
fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

fasteddie wrote:Chris Thank you so much for the information it helps me so much. Funny I would of painted it red if I had a choice..

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... onsored&ad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the car I purchased.
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Hi Fasteddie

Just in case you were thinking of going to the meeting at the Novello it has been cancelled this week and will take place on Thursday 11th instead.

Regards
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Welcome to the club Eddie. Good luck with what sounds like the basis for a fine car. The auto trader link doesbt work for me though... so c'mon, don't be shy, let's see some pics.
fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

Richie wrote:Welcome to the club Eddie. Good luck with what sounds like the basis for a fine car. The auto trader link doesbt work for me though... so c'mon, don't be shy, let's see some pics.

Added some pics scary got so much to do and all my mates have gone shy of me!!
fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

fasteddie wrote:
Richie wrote:Welcome to the club Eddie. Good luck with what sounds like the basis for a fine car. The auto trader link doesbt work for me though... so c'mon, don't be shy, let's see some pics.

Added some pics scary got so much to do and all my mates have gone shy of me!!

Wow Iam scared now of all the work. Not. Loving the challenge though I v a tight space to work in. I will get there. Have all the breaks out now and cleaning the callipers. Iv also got the pistons out using an oil gun filled with break fluid.

On and forwards. Tank out this week for a clean.
rolando38

Post by rolando38 »

well done for the car and the pistons out
I'm familiar with a grease gun but not oil gun; is it the same ? if you can post a pic, as this is an onngoing problems on classic cars
thanks
Last edited by rolando38 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

Sorry I meant grease gun. Put in break fluid got it all over the place. What a mess.
shaun

Post by shaun »

Brake not break please. Standards to maintain on this Forum please.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

shaun wrote:Brake not break please. Standards to maintain on this Forum please.
Give us a break Shaun! :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
rolando38

Post by rolando38 »

shaun wrote:Brake not break please. Standards to maintain on this Forum please.
Yes, it's the reason why I was surprised a grease gun was "waterproof" enough for brake/break liquid
at the end it did the job but you wouldn't recommend it ?
air pressure is also popular to remove pistons but I couldn't find a proper connector for the bleeding nipple, plus it's a violent process, you can get injured if you're not really cautious

Return to “General Discussion”