JOC Facebook page

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Re: JOC Facebook page

Post by John Staddon »

I have never liked Facebook very much and in the early days of Jensen groups I actually removed myself from one group, only to be added straight back on again! Ironically about the only Jensen group I have had to send a request to join is the C-V8 group. But I stay on Facebook because it can be a useful way of communicating with people. As you probably realise I am researching the first owners of the C-V8s and I once posted a request to a whole community to ask if anyone remembered V L Parry who lived in Shaldon in Devon, a village which has a Facebook page, and I got a number of responses and can now say that he smoked cigars and tell you which pub he liked to drink in, as it's more than 50 years since he bought the car I thought that was quite amazing.

Regards

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
Van833

Post by Van833 »

Grant wrote:
Van833 wrote:Can I ask who posts as the JOC on the club FB page? Also I wonder why it is so relatively quiet compared to other Jensen pages, is there something that appeals to Jensen owners more on those pages than the official club page?

Van
Nottingham
I don't ever and never have ever been on facebook,(<<<<<terrible grammar there I would have thought!! :oops: ).
I should imagine people wouldn't go the Joc FB page if they were not in the club, but what other Jensen pages are on facebook then Van please, I may go and have a look :shock: :P
Hi, I think your question has already been answered re Jensen groups. People got there quicker than me! Personally I prefer forums (fora?) for tech help, but FB is way better for chat and social stuff. As I have said elsewhere on this forum some of the area sections of the JOC forum have scarcely any activity for years on end. FB may be a good way of promoting social stuff. It is late in the second decade of the 21st century and I think the club needs to look at using all the available platforms to promote itself.
Van
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

The JOC facebook page was set up by a young lad called David Newby. No relation to the late great David Newby. He thought quite correctly that it was about time the club had a presence on Facebook. I understand Keith Anderson suggested the club have a FB page before I became a committee member, I do remember Colin Mayes suggesting it when he was on the committee, the sticking point at the time was finding the people to moderate it. Someone else setting the page up forced our hand and John Pym came forward to run it. As has been said it was a shame one wasn't set up earlier.

When I was doing the events diary (Paul McElhinney should have been doing it as area co-ordinator but didn't as he wasn't very IT literate), I also used FB and Twitter to promote events and report on events after the event. John Pym took on that role when he took on the area co-ordinator role, although he doesn't do twitter.

Before anyone else asks, no you can't set up facebook to post to Twitter, if you think about it tweets were limited to 140 characters (now 280) so not enough characters for most posts.

John asked for additional volunteers a few weeks back, from his post below he could always do with more.

At least we now have someone to take our Instagram presence forward (thanks Lawrence :-) )

Both John Pym and myself have suggested to Lewi and now Shaun that we need to improve our use of social media, I will mention it again in the committee meeting in a couple of weeks time.

As far as forum use goes the number of people using the forum has dropped with more people using facebook, as was shown by the effort / expense the club went to in order to preserve the photographic history of the forum when Photobucket ransomed the images, there are no plans to let the forum wither and die, there is too much technical information and history to let that happen.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Keith

Post by Keith »

zacmarshall wrote: there are no plans to let the forum wither and die, there is too much technical information and history to let that happen.
Thankfully, that's not up to you Zac, the forum members will not let "the forum wither and die", so you can relax.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Keith wrote:
zacmarshall wrote: there are no plans to let the forum wither and die, there is too much technical information and history to let that happen.
Thankfully, that's not up to you Zac, the forum members will not let "the forum wither and die", so you can relax.
Keith, not sure why you are making this personal. You said that the Humber club had actually closed and removed their forum, I was just making the point that the club has no plans to follow in the Humber club's footsteps.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Keith

Post by Keith »

Nothing "personal" about it Zac! :D I was "just making the point" that the forum members will ensure the forum's continued success and longevity!
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

I have always taken any media that promotes the Jensen and the JOC to be a good thing. I regularly trawl FB pages for leads on Mk1s. In fact I am currently investigating 2 possible new survivors found via FB. However, I don't join every page that has been opened, and I don't respond to many friends requests, nothing personal, but only because it stops me reading about everyone's life. I originally joined FB to keep in contact with my daughter when she lived in Australa. However when I make a new contact I always direct them to the Forum and the JOC. Those being the main Jensen ports of call. Finally I dont twit or what's up, or whatever they are.

So for me FB and the forum are enough belt and braces, but you youngsters do what you can do to spread the word but there is only one Forum and many FB pages so let's keep the Forum as the primary point of contact.
Keith

Post by Keith »

RAP72 wrote: there is only one Forum and many FB pages so let's keep the Forum as the primary point of contact.
Fully agree on that one Steve.
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

RAP72 wrote:let's keep the Forum as the primary point of contact.
I agree. The Swiss club has a page, not a group. We use FB to promote the marque and the club. We have 300 following us, which isn't bad for a club with 80 members. There isn't much chatting going on there, then again most of our members aren't very active on the forum either.

I can understand why Zac took the comment personally- thank you Zac and all the rest (and the JOC) for effort you put in the forum.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Everyone stop being so precious. Have just joined the club. What's FB? Felixx you are soooo Swiss. kenny38 :P
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

kenny38 wrote:Felixx you are soooo Swiss. kenny38 :P
I try not to be. But I'll take that as a compliment anyway. :D
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
BBD2K

Post by BBD2K »

I rarely use FB so please accept my apologies if this already happens...

A good use of the official JOC FB page/group could be to post links to useful/interesting/hot topics being discussed here on the forum on teh FB page - that way we might get some of those 300 that follow on FB joining in with the discussions and potentially increase forum membership..?
Matt H
JH1 - 1140/10349
BBD2K
Keith

Post by Keith »

Keith wrote:although I agree a Facebook "presence" is required, it maybe put to better use by pointing to this forum. The daily posts could maybe point to interesting new threads on this here forum.
BBD2K wrote:A good use of the official JOC FB page/group could be to post links to useful/interesting/hot topics being discussed here on the forum on teh FB page

Great minds think alike!

Return to “General Discussion”