JOC Facebook page

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Van833

JOC Facebook page

Post by Van833 »

Can I ask who posts as the JOC on the club FB page? Also I wonder why it is so relatively quiet compared to other Jensen pages, is there something that appeals to Jensen owners more on those pages than the official club page?

Van
Nottingham
Grant

Re: JOC Facebook page

Post by Grant »

Van833 wrote:Can I ask who posts as the JOC on the club FB page? Also I wonder why it is so relatively quiet compared to other Jensen pages, is there something that appeals to Jensen owners more on those pages than the official club page?

Van
Nottingham
I don't ever and never have ever been on facebook,(<<<<<terrible grammar there I would have thought!! :oops: ).
I should imagine people wouldn't go the Joc FB page if they were not in the club, but what other Jensen pages are on facebook then Van please, I may go and have a look :shock: :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Facebook in my opinion is the devils highway.

There was an article in one of the classic cars mags recently that if we all start using Facebook it will be the end of forums.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Arcnewal

Post by Arcnewal »

Steve Payne wrote:Facebook in my opinion is the devils highway.
What makes you say that Steve? I think it’s great the JOC is on Facebook as it encourages the younger generation (people like me) to keep in touch, see the latest news and events.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Maybe if you ''do'' Facebook it is. There are a lot of the older generation who don't.

The great part of forums is there is a database of past topics so if you need some information it always there.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Grant

Post by Grant »

Steve.. I have a thing about not wanting to go on facebook, there is a stigma n my head about it and I don't really want to be associated with it, but I think FB has already as you say ruined many of the forum message boards... so I think I will stay away from it and hope others will too to keep the forums alive.. Smart phoned and FB are a real epidemic you know :cry: :cry:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

TOP TIP
If you wonder what's going on with Facebook, but don't want your employer, or anyone else to see what you are up to, create a totally fake Facebook account, fake name, including someone else's photo.
Then you can spy on lots of people, create havoc, and get people at each other's throats.
Last edited by AH1951 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Top tip Vladimir :lol:
Keith

Post by Keith »

Van833 wrote:Can I ask who posts as the JOC on the club FB page? Also I wonder why it is so relatively quiet compared to other Jensen pages, is there something that appeals to Jensen owners more on those pages than the official club page?
A great question Van, and maybe it's about time it was discussed.

I don't know who has set up (and administers) the JOC Facebook page.

But for some reason it has been set up as a "charity" page rather than the more usual "group". For people that don't use Facebook, this is all meaningless, of course.

That (perhaps) is one reason it is quiet, because it may not show up when a Facebook user is looking for a "group".

"Groups" have members, and they get updated news as soon as the group page gets updated. With this JOC charity page you have to "like" it and then you will get these updates. A small distinction perhaps, but obviously an important one.

There are now numerous "groups" devoted to the Jensen marque, and I have to say, they are lively and successful.

The problem with that of course, is that the same people post the same messages on all the groups, which can be rather tiresome.

But we are fortunate that we have this forum to return to, after a difficult day at work, or a difficult day working on your Jensen! That's the reason I set up this forum, and it remains one of the most successful classic car club forums. And no one can argue with that!

I'm also interested in the old Rootes Group vehicles, particularly Humbers, which I owned a few as a boy in Oz. The UK club forum was set up after ours a number of years ago. It initially was very successful with a lively, friendly and technically informative input (much like here), but it slowly died a death. It's easy for me to blame the forum's administrator for this, because I felt that he only visited occasionally to see if any "moderation" was required, and didn't actually contribute other than that. But, whatever the reason, the Humber club forum slowed down and died, and the Humber club forum administrator decided it was better to close and remove the forum altogether.

However, they (the Humber club) started a Facebook "group" and it's gone from strength to strength! Absolutely rip-roaring! Vindicating the "club forum" or "Facebook presence" argument. So who can argue? It works very well for the Humber club.

But then (and I would say this), we have the best classic car club forum on the 'net, and although I agree a Facebook "presence" is required, it maybe put to better use by pointing to this forum. The daily posts could maybe point to interesting new threads on this here forum.

As pointed out earlier, the club were late to the Facebook thing. (I suggested it at a committee meeting seven or eight years ago and was scoffed at, with "What's Facebook?" remarks...)

The current Facebook "groups" have got everything covered, the JOC Facebook presence needs a rethink. In my humble opinion, of course!
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Keith wrote:That's the reason I set up this forum, and it remains one of the most successful classic car club forums. And no one can argue with that!
Mr Keith :P .. I was unaware that you set up this forum, I remember recently I was praising others for the forum :oops: Strange how nobody else corrected the thread :?
Thank you Keith.. I belong to a few different make car forums (that seem to be dwindling) and this is by far my favorite 8) and so I doff my hat to you :wink:
Yes back to the Facebook thing.. can't somebody ie you maybe Keith point them over here then?.. I don't really want to be part of FB, but maybe in the end we all "have to be" :(
====
Adrian.. you scamster :D ... You got to love that Ole Fella :P ... as long as he's not on "your" PAYE roll system!! :evil:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Keith makes a series of very good points.
There are probably more, but I am aware of 7 Facebook groups in addition to the Owners Club page.
These are: The Jensen FF Register (241 members), Jensen Car Parts Wanted or For Sale (319 members), Jensen Restoration Projects (428 members), Jensen Interceptor (1,999 members), Jensen C-V8 Group (149 members), Jensen 541 (74 members) and Show and Share Our Jensen Cars (276 members).
There was also the Jensen Meeting Germany 2017 Facebook page.
I'm not sure I would describe them all as successful, for example, the Jensen 541 Facebook Group page received 10 contributions in October and thus far in November, just 1. The most active is the Jensen Interceptor group, most of the activity is what I would describe as chit chat. Mostly pictures of cars, of something Jensen related in the news either current or historical news or of events that are happening. Sometimes there are technical questions raised and if I ever respond to those I generally direct the enquirer to the JOC Forum where they will find the answer.
Some groups that I have been in have had problems with abusive contributors which have got quite nasty. Fortunately there are none like that so far in any of the Jensen related groups.
Facebook is an active environment and gives notifications to you when something gets posted. If you respond, then Facebook will tell you when someone else has responded in effect prompting you to go and look immediately at their response and possibly respond back again. It's designed to keep you hooked, to keep you looking at your Facebook page all day so that you will see all the adverts that keep coming in. It's very easy to stay on it for ages as it's human nature to not want to miss anything! You can turn off notifications and you can reduce the number of annoying adverts but's it's a bit of a pain to do so.
You do get repeat postings which is annoying.
One of the things I don't really like about Facebook is that all the postings are in a continuous single stream and it's not very searchable. Some pages show the latest posting at the top, others don't. Some postings place all the comments in chronological sequence, others show "most relevant comments" or "top comments" which is Facebook deciding for you what comments you will see and which ones it won't show you. If you click on something and then hit the back button on your browser, you don't go back to where you were, Facebook seems to decide for you what it wants to display to you. That can be annoying too.
I agree that a Facebook presence is needed, the problem then is that a page like the Club one needs someone or more than one person to contribute to it and continue to put information on it. That takes time.
I still prefer the forum.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Grant

Post by Grant »

Good God :shock: ... that sounds like a right load of grief that would drive me bonkers Chris.. the thing with me is this ... I don't have a smart phone, I don't want one either.. when I am not at my laptop in my office I am not answering emails re: work etc.. when I go outside to my Barn or on the land doing whatever I don't want to be connected to the internet or feeling I should answer emails, I want to concentrate on what I am doing .. I guess it is my only escape from the cyber world not having a smart phone in my pocket! :evil: ... and that is how I want it to stay.. so .. it's not for me :nod:, It is an epidemic though.. everyone walking down the road, sitting at bus stops, having meals with the wife and family, walking along the promenade on holiday.. all heads down glued to their phones .. not talking to each other... worldwide epidemic... It annoys me so much.. terrible :roll: ... and I'll lay my wages (which is very little"!! :shock: ) that they are all on FB!!.. But...well I wish I thought of it before the founders did!! :mrgreen:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

The Jensen Owners Club Facebook page was I believe started by a young enthusiast and not a club member.

A few years ago I was added as an admin to help add regular posts.

I agree that the JOC Forum is the best place to find the info you need on the cars and hope that the Facebook page

can direct users to the forum.

I admit there are too many Jensen based groups but you can unfollow the ones you dont wish to see.

As a group I think we need to look at ALL aspects of our presence on the net, and if anyone would like to asisst

with posts then please step forward...

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Grant wrote:Good God :shock: ... that sounds like a right load of grief that would drive me bonkers Chris..
It's not all bad, there are good things. Slightly off topic of the JOC Facebook page, but still on the subject of Facebook, through another group I came across Amira Willighagen, winner of the 2013 Hollands got Talent at the age of 9. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWpLfncliwU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and 3 years later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te6LGAOTjdk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; having a bit of fun in an encore!
Last edited by Chris_R on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Grant

Post by Grant »

Chris_R wrote:
Grant wrote:Good God :shock: ... that sounds like a right load of grief that would drive me bonkers Chris..
It's not all bad, there are good things. Slightly off topic of the JOC Facebook page, but still on the subject of Facebook, through another group I came across Amira Willighagen, winner of the 2013 Hollands got Talent at the age of 9. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWpLfncliwU&t=344s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and 3 years later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te6LGAOTjdk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; having a bit of fun in an encore!
But you didn't mention Pudsey Chris :cry: :cry: ... sadly he's passed over :cry: :cry:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage

Return to “General Discussion”