electric cars

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

electric cars

Post by kenny38 »

Keith old man can you please assist. a little while back a post was on general issues re when countries were going on electric only. I read all the posts but as I am needing to plagerise like mad for local car mag i need to read again. The local classic car club members will be in awe at my knowledge and increase my stipend. Do you want a nice ginger pussy? Kenny38 :)
Keith

Re: electric cars

Post by Keith »

Have you been on the Swan Draught mate? Or are you more into these modern "craft" beers like Narrow Neck.

Whatever, I wish I knew what question you are asking me?
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi Keith. Sorry but yes a little more of the craft than neccessary. Wot i was asking was a few weeks ago there was a post or three concerning the rate of electric car sales only take up. I seem to remember one about Norway having no petrol car sold after 024 and there were other countries going the same way. I think the post was headed should we be concerned. The pussy is still available. You have a formidable nature . kenny38
Keith

Post by Keith »

kenny38 wrote: Wot i was asking was a few weeks ago there was a post or three concerning the rate of electric car sales only take up.
You're correct; there was such a post.
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

But Keith I need your skill set. Can you direcet me to it :) ?Kenny38
Keith

Post by Keith »

kenny38 wrote:But Keith I need your skill set. Can you direcet me to it :) ?Kenny38
I'll happily direcet (hic!) you to a couple of threads:

https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi Keith. many thanks for your assistance. Where the hell did you get a picture of my wifes pussy? Kenny38 :shock:
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

I just do not believe the demise of the Internal Combustion engine is imminent.
Sure, for large cities, (where the objective is to minimize local air pollution, even if that means shifting the pollution generated by electrical power production to a distant, low-population-density area,) it may be that electric cars and hybrids make sense.
But electric-only HGVs are unlikely to be practical unless they can collect their power from an overhead catenary, such as happens with a Manchester tram, or an East Coast Main Line Locomotive.
As large cities become ever more expensive and crowded, people will avoid entering them unless they absolutely have to.
And petrol-engined cars will still be used extensively in 40 years' time, but banned from large city-centres.

A thing of beauty - A Derby Trolleybus.
Trolleybus.jpg
Trolleybus.jpg (83.53 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

AH1951 wrote:I just do not believe the demise of the Internal Combustion engine is imminent.
Sure, for large cities, (where the objective is to minimize local air pollution, even if that means shifting the pollution generated by electrical power production to a distant, low-population-density area,) it may be that electric cars and hybrids make sense.
But electric-only HGVs are unlikely to be practical unless they can collect their power from an overhead catenary, such as happens with a Manchester tram, or an East Coast Main Line Locomotive.
As large cities become ever more expensive and crowded, people will avoid entering them unless they absolutely have to.
And petrol-engined cars will still be used extensively in 40 years' time, but banned from large city-centres.
I agree, the majority of car journeys are short and would probably suit electric but speaking to a Teslar owner recently made me smile. He was telling me he loved it and pointed out all its good points but said the flowing. '' I have a proper car for longer journeys''

As you say Electric HGV wont work and even delivery vans. TNT recently did a trial with an Electric truck for deliveries around Oxford, The trial lasted less than 2 months due to the fact it kept running out of power through the day and having to be towed back to base. How will electric work in places like America and Australia where the distances are far bigger.

Maybe we will have a situation where we rent petrol powered cars in the future for longer journeys? Interchangeable battery packs or 10 minute recharge would be the answer I suppose but even then how long do batteries last compared with an internal combustion engine?

I suppose there will always be fuel about for the classic cars even if it is alcohol based but maybe in a hundred years time it will be like coal is today? I know of an owner of a steam engine and he has to order his coal as nobody keeps it in stock. It costs him £300 to take his engine from Witney to Banbury and there is talk about the government taxing it soon.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Isn't this a bit contradictory...

"As large cities become ever more expensive and crowded, people will avoid entering them..."

Surely if people are avoiding them, cities will become less crowded?
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

We live in a smaller city. Nobody I know commutes to work by car within the city, too much traffic, too much aggravation, too expensive (two parking spaces required). Many people living in the city don't own cars, when they need one they use a car share service. The electrician we work with regularily is thinking about getting an E-bike with a big cargo box, because he is sick of the traffic and the parking. When I ride my bicycle to work I pass along the commuters in their cars standing in kilometer long traffic, 95% of them with one person per car. The speed limit in much of the city will apparently be reduced from 50 to 30kmh because of noise emission, which I don't fully understand. Most of the noise is from the tires nowadays, no? And the odd Harley ( or C-V8 :oops: ) is as loud at any speed. The traffic on the weekend has become as congested as during the weekdays, because everybody seems to need to drive somewhere. And what is it with all these SUVs- including the one by Tesla... When I look at who's driving, there seem to be a lot of young drivers on the road, did that segment increase dramatically since when we were young? Costs for commuting to work is tax deductible here, why? I don't think pollution (smog) is much of an issue any more, here at least. Apart from a few days per year when it rises above a certain level, which even then to me is not perceivable (as opposed to following an old car :D ). How much of any of this will be solved by electrically run cars?
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Steve Payne wrote:As you say Electric HGV wont work and even delivery vans. TNT recently did a trial with an Electric truck for deliveries around Oxford, The trial lasted less than 2 months due to the fact it kept running out of power through the day and having to be towed back to base. Steve
Notwithstanding the TNT trial, Harrods introduced electric delivery vans as far back as 1919 using American Walker electric vans and 60 were made for them by 1939. They had two large batteries, one either side, a 3.5hp motor and a maximum speed of 19mph, quite adequate for most uses in London especially as more and more roads are now restricted to 20mph (where you can find one traffic free enough to go that fast). One particular van, now in the Science Museum, and that was made in 1932 was only withdrawn from service in 1967 after covering more than 320,000 miles. They have recently reintroduced an electric delivery van that has a range of 106 miles, it averages 150 miles a week doing grocery deliveries.
It can be done, it needs a different mind set and different planning and organisation to make it work. Perhaps even some different infratructure or a more imaginative use of existing infrastructure. Why not, for example in London, use the underground network to transport goods into the centre between say 2am and 5am to a few key stations and when few people would want to use it? Almost everywhere is within a short distance of a station and goods can be brought to the surface and then distributed by electric vans!
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Richie wrote:Isn't this a bit contradictory...

"As large cities become ever more expensive and crowded, people will avoid entering them..."

Surely if people are avoiding them, cities will become less crowded?
It depends on where you define the city limits: the inner city, the city as a political entity, or do you include the surrounding suburbs or microcenters, or even the surrounding smaller cities.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Ah, I see.
I live near Cardiff and the population of all parts has increased recently. The centre has, by far, seen the biggest increase. The number of apartments built over the last decade is remarkable.
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Richie wrote:Ah, I see.
I live near Cardiff and the population of all parts has increased recently. The centre has, by far, seen the biggest increase. The number of apartments built over the last decade is remarkable.
But I‘m not sure which Adrian meant...
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Return to “General Discussion”