A Jensen GT project - what to do?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
nem

A Jensen GT project - what to do?

Post by nem »

Dear JOC Forum,
I am the happy new owner of a Jensen GT project (1620/30145), but I am also in a kind of predicament, because what to do? First a short description: The car is one of two originally sold in Sweden. It crashed around 1978 (non-fatally) and was written of. Bought as scrap by the Swedish wholesaler, who in 1986 shipped it to Jensen Parts & Services Ltd. for stripping and rebuilding of the body. It went back to Sweden finished in etch primer and has since been stored dry. Sold in 1991 and bought by me in 2016 ‘as is’ over the phone – I am living in Denmark. Due to storage issues I have just recently picked it up. Despite a straight body, restored front frame and rear axel, incl. brakes and new wheels, many parts and details are damaged: engine (as camshaft wheel broke of during impact), all light details, most SS ’bright work’, windows, coolers (oil and water), fan, brake servo, bumpers, steering wheel and a lot more.
The options I see is as follows:
1) Sell the project on to someone with a complete but rusty car (the body wears no chassis # due to the rebuild).
2) Sell it as spares on E-bay.
3) Start the restoration myself and buy spares or a donor car when possible.
4) Ship it back to the U.K. or else and let a qualified company do the rebuild.
Personally, I would love to see the car back on the road again after so many years – it is after all a rare sight - so option 2) is the one I prefer the least. Option 3) and particularly 4) will, I am sure, become far more expensive than the value of the car when finished, albeit of less importance as long as one is not forced to sell.
I would welcome any views, comments and suggestions on the matter. Thank you all. Cheers, Niels-Erik
Jensen-Healey II 1974 and Jensen GT 1976 project - both from Sweden
colin7673
now normal...

Re: A Jensen GT project - what to do?

Post by colin7673 »

nem wrote: 3) Start the restoration myself and buy spares or a donor car when possible.
This is really up to you, but I think If I had the know how I would restore myself..

You have a lot of know how in Denmark as there are a few Jensens' there and they are a real friendly bunch who have a lot of knowledge so may be willing to help you out. You can find them here http://www.jensenownersclub.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will also PM you
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Helen

Post by Helen »

It is definitely worth restoring this car. The values have risen and one recently sold at auction for about £15,000.00. Out of the original 500 built we only know of about 50 in the UK and a few more in Europe. As Colin said there are some very good Jensens in Denmark so ask the Danish club for details of local restorers.
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

Just asking the question means you really want to restore it and are seeking reassurance that it's the right thing to do ! :D

So I would restore it:
1. If you sell it/break it up for parts you'll always be wondering what could have been; and
2. It's only money.
(And if you are married - a third point - I have found that it's easier to apologise afterwards than to ask for permission beforehand).

If you have the cash, pay someone else to do it. Otherwise collect as many parts as you can as time/money allows, do what you can and then get someone else to do what you can't. It's quite surprising how readily available a lot of GT and J-H parts actually are, and you will have a hobby other than walking dogs and raising kids.

Good luck with the restoration, it will be worth the time and effort and you will have a very rare car at the end.
Chris L
J-H Mk1 11327
GT 30305
Perth, Australia
nem

Post by nem »

Hi again,
Thanks to Colin, Helen and ChrisL for your comments.
Yes, I would really love to restore the GT to former glory, as it - given its history - should have a second chance :D
After finally seeing the car for the first time two weeks ago, I was just a bit surprised to realise how many spare parts actually needs to be found and bought. Actually, I have still not yet a complete list, but it is already long.
Anyway, I am still interested to have your thoughts and comments and perhaps good references.
Thanks and all the best,
nem
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

Hi Nem

I'm also glad you're heading in the direction of restoration, rather than sale or breaking for parts. I reckon you'll be able to get all the parts you mention in your first post from Rejen here in the UK, who probably have the largest stock of used GT parts (the original steering wheel could be a problem, but some people hate it anyway). Other parts you can buy new or NOS from Martin Robey or Appleyards. It's also worth bearing in mind that the GT shares a lot of parts with other British cars of the era, including the Vauxhall Viva HC and the Triumph TR7. That said, there isn't a good Viva parts supplier out there for some reason, the TR7 is much better supported. If you can post a list of the parts you need, we'll all chip in with our ideas. Everyone on here is happy to help and keen to see another GT back on the road!

Something else you might want to think about, given the state of restoration of your GT, is upgrading the drivetrain. In my view, the GT in factory spec is not even remotely a grand tourer. It lacks an overdrive 5th gear and the engine too noisy for relaxed cruising. When I asked Tony Marshall last year what the thinking was behind the GT at the time, he said it was designed as a "boulevard cruiser"' which I think means a car to show off on short drives up and down American main streets. Not very useful here in the UK! I have partly resolved these issues by upgrading the engine to provide more low down torque and by installing a different gearbox. My GT is now more comfortable on the motorway, but it's most fun to drive on A roads with sweeping bends.

As a result of these drivetrain upgrades (and various other works which I've recounted in other posts) I have spent way more on my GT than I'll ever get back. If I decided to sell. But as ChrisL says, making a financial return on these cars is not the point. It's the enjoyment we get from tinkering and driving our cars, before handing them over to someone else to enjoy. And you can't put a price on that.

I'd be more than happy to discuss the choices I took with my GT over the phone or by email. PM me and I'll send you my contact details.

Best wishes,
Nigel
Last edited by NigelK on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel Kieser
Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
Interceptor 115/3484
clivey

Post by clivey »

Hi Niels-Erik
Just to add a bit more re-assurance in case you need it, as others have commented we're a friendly group, always happy to help other members where we can and don't be put off by what you think is a long list of parts you need, especially if you're concerned about how much it will cost, once you have a list, put it out to the group, you might be surprised by what help comes forward, I know I have a few GT spares from a car I no longer own but have never got around to sorting out, I would be happy to do a deal for a fellow member, and others in the club may also be able to help. These cars can be maintained and fixed on a budget with a bit of time and patience if you need to, although as pointed out, its not necessarily about the money, but I know I don't have bottomless pockets to maintain my two JHs. One trip to the UK in a van and you could end up with most of the parts you need and you'll definitely never be short of helpful advice. If you're new to the club it may be a new experience about how much fellow members are happy to help where they can.
All the best
Clive
Clive Messenger
1974 Jensen Healey
1975 Jensen Healey JH5
ajm541s

Post by ajm541s »

Hello Nem,
Depending on how much the car 'stand you in at', recent price increases for Jensens, as Helen says, means that the gap between restoration costs and current values makes the restoration more viable, even for J-Hs.
Looking in my garage I see around 50 small boxes of 'bits' left over from the restoration of HEA 4K; pair of original horns, one requiring repair, bumper brackets, small trailing arms, a steering rack serviceable but best overhauled etc. There will be many of us in the same position in the club, so as soon as you can produce a list of 'wants' the better.
Whatever, restore it or pass it on to someone who wants to do so, please keep it alive!
Best of luck,
Tony
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
kees

Post by kees »

Although mainly J-H, I have a lot of small parts and several engines for parts, gearboxes, rubber bumpers, windscreens, etc. Even some GT chrome trim and switches for the heated rear screen. Most parts are used but some are NOS. All located in the Netherlands at about 6,5hrs driving from the Danish/German border.
So if you have a list what is needed I can start a search of what there is.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
nem

Post by nem »

Dear all,
I appreciate all your kind support and offers to help with spares. I will hasten to prepare as complete a list of necessary parts as I can. Any suggestion on how I best can make the parts description? What reference should I use? The only access I have to terms/OE nos. is via the online information at Martin Robey webpage.
Is there a spare parts catalogue for GT's somewhere?
Thanks again :D
Cheers, nem
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

Hi Nem
Is there a spare parts catalogue for GT's somewhere?
Yes - you can buy one from the Jensen Owners Club at https://joc.org.uk/regalia/index.php?cP ... n6eaf2ml06

It's a very useful resource to have, a lot of exploded diagrams and each part is listed with a number.

I would also buy a Jensen-Healey workshop manual at the same time; mechanically there's very little difference between the later J-Hs and the GT.

Good luck with the project. You will have already found from this forum that advice (good or bad!) is readily at hand.
Chris L
J-H Mk1 11327
GT 30305
Perth, Australia
NigelK

Post by NigelK »

Hi Nem

I would also buy a Haynes manual for the Vauxhall Magnum / Viva HC. A few pounds on eBay. Much better descriptions and pictures compared to the J-H WSM for jobs on the brakes and suspension.

Best wishes,
Nigel
Nigel Kieser
Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
Interceptor 115/3484
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

Not quite a manual but I found these PDF files that show the parts in exploded views almost like a Haynes manual and it lists the part numbers. These are for a Jensen-Healey but 95% is the same.
You can access and download them from my website.
Here https://www.design-well.co.uk/deca/page18.htm
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

kees

Post by kees »

These are taken from the much more extensive J-H parts catalogue. There is also a specific parts manual for the GT. It is in a blue 3-ring binder, so possibly only published in the USA.
I have an original so if you need specific information I can always send you a PDF of the page(s) you want.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
nem

Post by nem »

Hi all,
I really appreciate all the good advices, links etc. you provide me - I listen and learn :D
Today, I´ve ordered amongst other things the GT spare parts catalogue from JOC. When this arrives I can start make a prober missing parts list.
One of my considerations is whether or not to install a sliding sunroof from Tudor Webasto. This because the heat in the cabin during summer surely will be high as it is in my Jag-E and because of the enjoy of seeing the sky, sense the smells etc. To my surprise they have stopped the manufacture, but luckily I rang up Steve Camp, The Trimming Centre, http://www.thetrimmingcentre.co.uk/tudo ... t-sunroofs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...who told me that they intend to take over this manufacture within a year or so. This just as service information.
Thanks again and I´ll be back 8)
Cheers,
nem - alias Niels-Erik

Return to “General Discussion”