Current value of SP

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
cannonball

Re: Current value of SP

Post by cannonball »

ajc9415 wrote:Hi Kenny,
Your point may be correct with regards to general engine swaps / upgrades in our kind of cars but I think the point here is that if it no longer has it's SP engine it's value will be lower as it's no longer really an SP.
Regards?
Adrian
This has been debated many times, If the vin/chassis numbers log book, v5c,title what ever denotes the car as a 131 or 138 that car is a SP No matter what engine is fitted, matching numbers will always make the car worth more money than one that does not have the correct engine,many are fitted with 4 barrel carbs that should hurt the resale price also,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

A SP is not just a badge - without matching numbers the car will be worth less - full stop.

As the cars increase in value buyers become more discerning and will demand matching numbers and sixpacks.

They want to experience the car as it was intended to be, not a version that has been cobbled togeather over the years to keep it on the road. I have nothing against such cars, far better that, than them been scrapped but they will not rank with the best examples.

The current value of a full fat SP has to be around £90k - and at that it is still a great buy - if it had an Aston badge it would cost treble that.
John
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

Thats great advice.

I can only offer similar advice, so without issue nor measure.

I was told at Excel, this is.... what a bell end, I owned the car having rescued it-
Six-pack.
many lost when very new, most that remained road worthy with miles.
Attachments
bromley,Aston, Greenwich, Tang SP 030.jpg
bromley,Aston, Greenwich, Tang SP 030.jpg (578.06 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Ah, but Adrian I have been told years ago by the factory that only the VIN defines the build/model.Calver R. confirmed this........I think......can't really remember, may have been discussing weather at the time. It's all so hard nowadays.......what's this all about anyway? I'm going for a nap. Where's Grant when you need him. Regards Kenny38 :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have been to have a first hand look at the car and it is very nice.
As expected it is for sale and I have listed it on the for sale page.
Interceptor Mk 11 123 3553
Interceptor MK 11 123 3787
Interceptor MK 111 2241 9460 Donor car
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi jcvcarrier. Now I see your point about AM's and Etypes getting 3 times the money. Well.....the point is they ARE getting that money. I have yet to be convinced that our good cars are going for 60-95K. Lotsa talk not much action. There is currently on Ebay a very nice SP for 83.50K. Will some one follow and see whether it sells or quietly goes away? I am beginning to think that these prices are a bit of a mirage and the stuff of wet dreams by dealers and chancers ramping up the prices til we actually believe the PR. Mind you it's always nice to think your car must be worth "that amount" IF you ever decided to sell that is and it was in great condition. Stop for a while and ask why not much, if any, evidence is there. Blow away the stage smoke. I still am looking for a home fpr a nice ginger cat and will swap for a train set. Kenny38 :)
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Are you a member of the JOC Kenny?
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Mark1Stu wrote:Are you a member of the JOC Kenny?

He is, but like a lot of Jensen folk likes to talk Jensen prices down,its the only marque club that i know that does this, somehow people on this Jensen forum feel the Interceptor etc is a car for peasants and that they should stay that way, ie stupid cheap for an italian styled v8 luxury grand tourer, whilst, E types, Aston martin, facel vega, de tomaso,iso etc etc all escalate in value, crikey most Jensen,s are not bringing as much money as some fast fords thats a crime, big them up dont drag em down, so what if now the average person can not afford one thats there hard luck for not buying one a few yrs ago when they were worth a lot less, but hey hang on those so called wanna be Jensen owners thought even yrs ago they were to expensive when a minter could be had for 15k so razzberry to em buy one at proper money or not at all,

BIG EM UP DONT RUN EM DOWN,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

You'll find that this goes on everywhere, indeed talking prices up to the extent it stalls the market is worse in my view- when the market rises slowly its sustainable, when forced, then with outside factors taken into account ie polatics/global finace etc it can go stale.

How many cars on the market at huge money have been foe ages??
How many DB5's sell at 800,000 I wonder.

I'm constantly told what Astons are worth, well there is a huge difference in asking & getting- notice at market peak that all the old tat gets dragged out the gloom- likely bought at daft money last boon & kept in the hope the market recovered

There is another big factor.
A really exceptional example of anything will always be the exception of the rule, high quality will always sell & premium paid (I have) the average car asking the same inflated price as the mint original wont.
How many toshed over cars have flooded the market, esp DBS's I note, most recently off the back of the bullshit story of the Excel car.
So no I dont think ours is 100k.

SP
Well, I likley had the best offer ever recorded- it was utterly genuine & was in front of serious Jensen men- it wont ever be repeated & was offered in order to pry it from me, rather than the price being the market norm.
I would not use that offer to bench mark all others unless it was an offer repeated or hear to it as thats not realistic.
Nor is placing an advert for it for £250,000- I have been into the marque since birth (it annoys me dad didn't insist on jensen as name!) and like many others have championed the greatness of it forever, also we have in our combined efforts raised the profile & seen it grow, the days of breaking up an FF are happily over for ever, or any of them.
Jensen esp the Interceptor were many in greater numbers also worth considering, so comparing to other Hybrid's made in handfulls that have never been cheap run abouts is not realistic.
The good thing this boom is many a car has been lucky to see a proper re-build, not some trade flop over (loads of them still) resulting in some poor cars being rescued & saved for future generations, this is the best thing about any boom to my mind- obviously if you were tading & were to treble your money on each flip that would no doubt be nice, the downside is the real meat & veg enthusiast- us folk, who get priced out, or worse buy some terrible mess at daft money in order to get a finger nail on the market before it doubles next year- why is it only the trade keep saying that????? " buy this E-type (despite there are millions of them) at 200k, next year double your investment" hmmm- also greed maybe playing part?
At the end of the day, you can ask what you want- If asked I say the market is an inexact science at mo & you can always come down in price but never up-
I was asked many times this weekend at our jOC kent seaside weekender & show, what is the S4 worth, must be loads as unique, my reply is always, no idea there is no benchmark!
90k anyone.....................
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi Cannonball. I was genuinely surprised and a wee bit upset that you would feel I was "talking" the market down. I certainly don't mean to. To me seeing a fine Jensen side on is exhillerating. They would have to be at least on a par with the dreaded Etype design wise and in my book always more appealing. I just want SOME %$&^* evidence that a genuine base line price can be established for our lovely cars not, an imaginary one. Well, i suppose eventually a price for all models in all conditions will eventuate.
Don't think anyone driving a fine Interceptor would be even remotely classed as a peasant. The reverse I would think. The cat is still available........Kenny38 :)
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Oh! and just in. Hold the front.......Have just received a call from a local member. (Melbourne) He has restored two S3's to very good standard in his own workshop using local quality retrimmers and engine builders. Cond 2 I thought on inspection. One beautiful blue paint and the other AM red. He was trained to be a spray painter by Mulliner Ward when apprentice ships were 7 years and exacting. Anyhow he has sold the blue car (the widow's car as it was part of estate) for $100K. (60K pounds?) and has enquiry ongoing for red one at increased price of $120K....you do the math. So there it is, perhaps a colonial benchmark is established. I have been banging the drum about prices for nigh on 20 years. Telling members to examine their insurance cover "as prices will go up" etc.So I am definitly a big PR man.So if 60K pounds for a very good S3 was achieved a very good SP will sell for 80-100K. Cannonball, what an old heartbreak you are. When i am next in the UK I shall stay with you for a few months. Have tried Martin Richie but he has not responded.
Love your work. Kenny38 8)
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

kenny38 wrote:Oh! and just in. Hold the front.......Have just received a call from a local member. (Melbourne) He has restored two S3's to very good standard in his own workshop using local quality retrimmers and engine builders. Cond 2 I thought on inspection. One beautiful blue paint and the other AM red. He was trained to be a spray painter by Mulliner Ward when apprentice ships were 7 years and exacting. Anyhow he has sold the blue car (the widow's car as it was part of estate) for $100K. (60K pounds?) and has enquiry ongoing for red one at increased price of $120K....you do the math. So there it is, perhaps a colonial benchmark is established. I have been banging the drum about prices for nigh on 20 years. Telling members to examine their insurance cover "as prices will go up" etc.So I am definitly a big PR man.So if 60K pounds for a very good S3 was achieved a very good SP will sell for 80-100K. Cannonball, what an old heartbreak you are. When i am next in the UK I shall stay with you for a few months. Have tried Martin Richie but he has not responded.
Love your work. Kenny38 8)
Hello Kenny, and very welcome you would be made,

real prices i do not know,,, but i know what they should be, i am in no rush to sell mine so have put a price on it as a starting point but i wont be giving it away, as i know i really could not replace it for similar money, for me its a storage issue i have all sorts of weird cars here and all must be kept garaged it takes me a few hrs moving cars around if i feel like getting to something as lots are racers and have to be pushed to move em round not easy with locked rear axles wheel bars etc, cheers Dunc,,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION

Return to “General Discussion”