How Will This Impact on Classic Cars

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
jglarkin

Re: How Will This Impact on Classic Cars

Post by jglarkin »

Mark Maniatt wrote:LPG will still be produced for the foreseeable so conversions will become much neater in appearance as they become the sole option for classics and you can still use your V8.Simples!
I thought LPG was a by product of petrol and diesel production, without one you won't get the other.
I'd better use more of it while I still can! :D

Jon
Jon
C-V8 112-2355
541rr 3624319

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62752698@N06/albums
"The renovation story" (a large collection of rubbish pictures of a rotten car).
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

One side-effect may be the disappearance of manual cars. I believe it is much easier for hybrids to blend the power supplies if there is no gear-change, and full electric cars just don't use manual boxes.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Martin K

Post by Martin K »

Batteries are improving at great speed but are set to make very rapid advancement in the coming years. The car manufacturers are now starting to drive the process forward as the see the future as electric and want to protect their brands as best possible. The problem will be if all cars are electric powered there would have to be enormous investment in power stations and the grid which have VERY long time lines in planning. My bet is that solar - even local solar in your back garden will have to be the break through. If it is down to expanding grid capacity it will be too slow. Solar needs to get better and less expensive but Tesla are on the case - charge a battery pack all day from light (not even sun) from solar on your roof and transfer the charge to your car when parked overnight. New power stations will not be built in the required numbers because solar is coming at a rate too and the power stations will not be required for long enough to justify the build cost. It is great to see it play out as the impact on daily life will be so significant. Driverless cars, dial up a car rather than own it and solar supplied power all likely to arrive. When local solar generated power is commonplace and less expensive then the pressure on petrol availability will begin to kick in but it will be a slow process. My tuppence worth anyway :)
Martin Kennedy

1969 FF Mk1 119/098 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWEc85hC6Q
1970 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
JOC Member 10029
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

What about trucks and buses?
Does anyone really believe they will be going electric?
I don't take this 2040 date seriously, it's just a fantasy target to appease the complainers.
Martin K

Post by Martin K »

AH1951 wrote:What about trucks and buses?
I don't take this 2040 date seriously, it's just a fantasy target to appease the complainers.
I think trucks might. If a 40 tonne truck has to have a 3 tonne battery (and so 37 tonne load) the economics would still be very good with no driver to pay and no tachograph to limit hours. Also might mean trucks could be at night only?? All sorts of potential change. Currently estimated 3.5 million truck drivers in the USA.
Martin Kennedy

1969 FF Mk1 119/098 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWEc85hC6Q
1970 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
JOC Member 10029
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

"Charge a battery pack...from solar on your roof and transfer the charge to your car when parked overnight"

Or simply have solar panels on the roof of the car ... ? That would avoid the issue of lack of infrastructure about charging points.

Jon Pym is our man. C'mom Pymmie, can we have solar powered Jensens?
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

No driver to pay?
That's all we need - millions of unemployed ex-drivers looking to sabotage those driverless trucks after losing their homes when they were no longer able to pay their mortgage.
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

They could retrain as solar panel installers...
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

What about motor cycles? Yes I know there are electric motorcycles but they can not carry a big battery and a hybrid motorbike wont work. A touring holiday on a motorbike will be very difficult especially if you are planning on camping.

As far as commercial vehicles Oxford were going to try and start a scheme where all the deliveries for the town were delivered to a central delivery point and the distributed within the town with electric vehicles, personally I don't see it ever working. Stolen/damaged goods let alone the extended lead time for a busy city centre shop.

When you see the mileages some of these HGV's do on a daily basis they will need one very large battery and some vehicles are used with several drivers so have little or no down time.

As much as I agree things must change and indeed will have too as Oil wont last forever I think by 2040 we will still have a lot of Hydrocarbon powered vehicles on our roads. What ever happened to fuel cells and hydrogen? Sorry to say this but I think the Oil companies will influence the length we have hydrocarbon powered vehicles not the governments.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Dion

Post by Dion »

AH1951 wrote:What about trucks and buses?
In the Netherlands most buses will be electric in the foreseeable future. In the press two months ago:
Of the 5000 buses in the Netherlands, 100 are electric. In two years time it will be 300. In the Eindhoven area most of the buses are electric, and new buses will be electric only. End of this year the Schiphol area will have 100 electric buses.
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Richie wrote:"Charge a battery pack...from solar on your roof and transfer the charge to your car when parked overnight"

Or simply have solar panels on the roof of the car ... ? That would avoid the issue of lack of infrastructure about charging points.

Jon Pym is our man. C'mom Pymmie, can we have solar powered Jensens?
Can a solar panel (or panels) really generate a 70amp supply? (The current requirement for many cars)
Can people in multiple occupancy flats have enough roof area to generate enough power for dozens of 70amp supplies?
How big would your car roof have to be to supply enough current?
How would people in terraced houses manage to get the electricity from their roof to their car?
What about those people who have a garage remotely located from their home manage?

There's one heck of a lot of problems to be addressed and a long way to go before this can possibly become a reality.

I'd quite like my V8 Jensen's to be able to be plugged in and charged for a few pennies at night and still sound like a V8 :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

would be a bit tricky to mount a panel on the roof of a convertible too :D :D
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

If all the cars currently on the street would run on electricity, 20% more electricity would be required. If fully self driving cars ever become reality, one study shows that there will be an increase in traffic of 20%. Last time I used my Tomtom it continuously thought I was driving on the opposite lane of the highway and the app was going crazy so I had to turn it off. It will be a while before I trust any computer to do the steering.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

The only way I could see electric vehicles working as a majority on the roads would be to take some F1 thinking in that vehicle manufacturers would agree on a standard battery pack. Depending on the vehicle size and performance this would be done in multiples.

You would lease your battery. You pull into a "petrol" station that has a "robot" battery changer similar to driving into a car wash which would change your battery(s) for ones pre-charged in stackable charge and conditioning racks, your used battery(s) would go into rack to be charged, and checked for condition. You'd pay a fee to the Station for the service.

You'd be on your way with a full charge in about 5 - 10 minutes.

Petroleum companies would switch to battery manufacture, lease and "robot" change and install facilities, so their revenue stream continues.

Everyones a winner. (except the government who would have to look at another way of screwing the motorist)
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Steve Payne wrote: As far as commercial vehicles Oxford were going to try and start a scheme where all the deliveries for the town were delivered to a central delivery point and the distributed within the town with electric vehicles, personally I don't see it ever working. Stolen/damaged goods let alone the extended lead time for a busy city centre shop. Steve
In theory, this will work but, it reality it will get a lot more traffic on the road. How? A artic lorry will carry upto 28 UK pallets. 48x48 and 36 Euro pallets, and eight wheeler will carry just over half this and a ridge will carry just over quarter,, each one of these vehicle are loaded to make muti drops therefore each vehicle can go to many different places..

If you send all these vehicles to one place, a distribution depot, then put them on another vehicle, if that vehicle can not carry the weight of the larger vehicle, you will need more vehicles to distribute the same amount of pallets.. If these Electric Vehicles are over 7.5 tonnes gross then the drive will need a Class 3 licence to drive. Great you might think, get more people off the dole queue, not really there is a national drivers shortage now, even with the help of the Europeans that have come to live here.

At the moment, many vehicles deliver to Tesco and Sainsbury's, ASDA and Morrison's Distribution centres for this same reason, to take the traffic away from the town, but how many of these lorries with the supermarkets names on the side do you see delivering to their shops in town.
Martin K wrote: Also might mean trucks could be at night only?? .
So how many people at shops off all sizes will want to open at nightime to take delivery, then you have people complaining about noise

I have seen solar panels on camper vans when In New Zealand, one large panel, I was readily informed 'It's enough to charge the battery to run the electric in the van when parked at nightime, when we sleep it will just about run the fridge with what's left'

Solar panels only have a 30 year life span as well, good news for the solar panel manufacture, so our panels will see me OK as when they need replacing I'll be too old to worry about.

Just my thoughts
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion”