International 2017

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Grant

Re: International 2017

Post by Grant »

Chris_R wrote:I am very pleased that Mark posted this picture because there is a very nice story behind it.
Int3-GXI1111#2.jpg
The gentleman in the picture is Geoffrey Griffiths. Unashamedly he admits to being 84. He's owned his Interceptor for over 35 years and in all that time of his ownership this was the first ever Jensen event that he'd attended. The car has done just over 49,000 original miles. He had just had a lot of work done on the engine and wasn't entirely happy that he had been fairly treated by the person who'd done it and he wanted someone to give him a general assessment of his car and Brian Raper and Steve Johnson agreed to look it over.
Saturday morning Brian and Steve looked over the car. The carburetor was badly adjusted with the idling speed too low with the result that it often cut out at traffic lights. The fans didn't work automatically and he had to remember to use his manual override switch admitting that he didn't always remember. Both of those were fixed, we found that a simple poor connection on the otter switch was the problem with the fans.
That done Steve took him out for a short drive, very little wrong with the car. A bit rough changing gear that perhaps a transmission oil and filter change and brake band adjustment would fix. It needs new tyres, the ones on it were ancient Dunlop ER70V15 SP Sports and had flat spots from where the car stands for long periods. Apart from that, tracking and a proper tune up as I recall was all that Steve could find.
Overall it was a very nicely presented and very smart original car.
Geoffrey told us that he'd spoken with many people and had been amazed at how friendly and helpful everyone had been. He came out with Vivienne and I for the afternoon run and thoroughly enjoyed his day. We stopped off at Haddon Hall for an hour which he also enjoyed. Unfortunately the events of the whole day must been very exhausting for him as he went to his room for 40 winks and woke up at 5am Sunday having completely missed the dinner and slept through the band!
He left early on Sunday morning to avoid driving during the heat of the day.
Oh bless him Chris :shock: :shock: .. What a chap :D ... and you too for taking the Ole Fella Geoffrey out with you :wink: .. Good Man Chris :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

He was a interesting bloke and the car was like a time capsule of the 1970s.
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
kees

Post by kees »

Just got home this morning after a splendid and very hot week in the UK.
The International was one of the best if not the best we ever attended. Gill and Stuart did a marvellous job organising the weekend. The hotel was perfect for the purpose: simple, clean, good food, very helpful staff and the price was very reasonable. Also the hotel management whom we spoke on Monday were very enthusiastic about the event. Quite an improvement on some earlier hotels. The weather was another bonus as was the surrounding Derbyshire area and all the nice people/members around.
It was a great surprise to find our car the best J-H outside the concourse. Keith is really trying to force me into the concourse, as he has been doing for many, many years, with this price consisting of all the nice care/valeting products.
The price I got for guessing the duration of the new chairman's speech was quickly spent in the bar. I have known him for many years to appreciate he is not a man of many words. I am sure the club will do well under his leadership.

When leaving on Sunday afternoon I must have pulled the hose from the fuel pump when loading up the luggage as it was quickly flooding the boot when starting up. Luckily the luggage itself did not get soaked but the carpet and the pad under the tank were, thankfully there were enough orifices to dump the petrol onto the pavement. We had to unpack everything, take out the carpet and dry it out in the hot sun. It took a few hours to get a reasonable level of petrol smell. We decided to stay in the hotel, in fact we stayed until Wednesday and visited some National trust mansions and gardens in the area.
Looking forward to next years event.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Grant

Post by Grant »

kees wrote:Just got home this morning after a splendid and very hot week in the UK.
The International was one of the best if not the best we ever attended. Gill and Stuart did a marvellous job organising the weekend. The hotel was perfect for the purpose: simple, clean, good food, very helpful staff and the price was very reasonable. Also the hotel management whom we spoke on Monday were very enthusiastic about the event. Quite an improvement on some earlier hotels. The weather was another bonus as was the surrounding Derbyshire area and all the nice people/members around.
It was a great surprise to find our car the best J-H outside the concourse. Keith is really trying to force me into the concourse, as he has been doing for many, many years, with this price consisting of all the nice care/valeting products.
The price I got for guessing the duration of the new chairman's speech was quickly spent in the bar. I have known him for many years to appreciate he is not a man of many words. I am sure the club will do well under his leadership.

When leaving on Sunday afternoon I must have pulled the hose from the fuel pump when loading up the luggage as it was quickly flooding the boot when starting up. Luckily the luggage itself did not get soaked but the carpet and the pad under the tank were, thankfully there were enough orifices to dump the petrol onto the pavement. We had to unpack everything, take out the carpet and dry it out in the hot sun. It took a few hours to get a reasonable level of petrol smell. We decided to stay in the hotel, in fact we stayed until Wednesday and visited some National trust mansions and gardens in the area.
Looking forward to next years event.
Kees Oudesluijs
Sorry I couldn't make it Kees :cry: .. I am in Ibiza at the moment.... I really wanted that beer with you :P .. but maybe next year aye :wink: XXX
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Grant wrote: Sorry I couldn't make it Kees :cry: .. I am in Ibiza at the moment....
Bad planning that....
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Grant

Post by Grant »

Chris_R wrote:
Grant wrote: Sorry I couldn't make it Kees :cry: .. I am in Ibiza at the moment....
Bad planning that....
:oops: :oops: :oops: I know ... :P Ibiza always gets in the way of the fun Chris :oops: :lol:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
kees

Post by kees »

Sorting the ignition and carburettors on David Booth's beautiful early MkI by Martin Shirley on the International in Derby.
Kees Oudesluijs
Attachments
IMG_6333.JPG
IMG_6333.JPG (177.38 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977

Return to “General Discussion”