Introduction

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
ernie100

Introduction

Post by ernie100 »

001.jpg
001.jpg (142.15 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
Hi
I would like to say hallo as being new to the forum (aside form a couple of posts) and potentially new to the club.
I have just purchased my first Interceptor Mark 111 1973. (You may have seen that I posted a couple of questions about the HC status of the engine).
Well I havent got it yet, it is at the PO until the transport is arranged.
I am not sure if the car is known to the club (although I think a PO may have ben a member). The car is chassis no 1288123 sold to a Mr Carvell via Guy Salmon Teddington. I have a copy of the original production card order no 100444.
The car has been off the road for the last 30 years. The former PO started a complete bodywork refurbish with new and second hand panels, replacing the bonnet, inner and outer wings and inner and outer sills. Both he and the PO contiued the mechanical refurbishment to a certain degree, with lost of parts replaced.
The engine is reputed to have low oil pressure ok compression and runs like a pig.
The welding and bodywork seem good with the car in primer (except where taken off to bare metal to check metal). Panel gaps are good.
The interior is very good , with some additional work needed on the front seats. The floors are fine with two 2 patched neatly done.
My plans for the car are to have a thorough end to end mechanical recommission(rebuild where necessary) and then get the car painted after bare metal check.
I look forward to meeting you all, maybe at the International meeting thsi weekend. I have already met one of your local memebers who has been very helpful. I have always liked the Interceptor, and my mind was made up after talking to a couple of your members at Biscester recently. I love clasic cars, currently owning an E type OTS and Land Rover series 1. Both are quite differant from the Interceptor....so will be good to get it back on the road over the next 12 months or so.
Finaly a photo of how the car is at the momment
Thanks
David

Warwickshire.....
Mark 111...being restored...(An Interceptor newbie)
E Type Series 2
1957 Land Rover Series 1
Mazda MX5 Rocketeer (V6 Jaguar 3 litre )
Keith

Re: Introduction

Post by Keith »

Welcome David, and it looks like a terrific project.

When you're playing with the engine to get it running, pay attention to the advice on the other thread about oil pressure. There may be no problem at all. And then fit new spark plugs before you do anything else. Make sure they're not Champions! The design of the plug means that they are very difficult to clean successfully, so the "running like a pig" may simply be down to spark plugs.

I would also advise posting your technical questions in the correct area. You've got Interceptor Tech and V-8 Engine Tech which are both areas applicable to your Interceptor.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
ernie100

Post by ernie100 »

Hi Keith
Thanks for that. Yep will be careful re engine. Mechanical separate oil pressure test confirms low oil pressure. Oil and filter changed.I will get one of the acknowledged Jensen experts to look at it before commit to any major work...I am not sure if one can even drop the sump with the engine in situ..havent crawled under it yet...so lots to check.
Thanks
David

Warwickshire.....
E Type Series 2
1957 Land Rover Series 1
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

I've split these posts from the original topic about the owner of a C-V8 introducing themselves.

If you want to join the club (no obligation to :-) ) the rates have just reduced for the remainder of the year, you can join on-line here:
https://www.joc.org.uk/club/join

Don't forget you can buy manuals / handbooks from club regalia, considerably less than the prices on ebay when they come up
http://www.joc.org.uk/regalia
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

ernie100 wrote:Mechanical separate oil pressure test confirms low oil pressure.
How low is "low"?
ernie100 wrote:I am not sure if one can even drop the sump with the engine in situ..havent crawled under it yet...so lots to check.
You can. Just about. The front set screws above the cross member are a bit tricky to get at but it can be done.
The oil pump can also be replaced with the engine in situ but it does need the bolt for the left side engine mount removed and the engine jacked up a bit on that side. If you replace the oil pump you need to replace the cover plate with the one from your old pump. That part is unique to Jensen so don't lose it.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
ernie100

Post by ernie100 »

Chris_R wrote:
ernie100 wrote:Mechanical separate oil pressure test confirms low oil pressure.
How low is "low"?

I have ben told that is less than 5 on idle and doesnt increase very much on revs
ernie100 wrote:I am not sure if one can even drop the sump with the engine in situ..havent crawled under it yet...so lots to check.
You can. Just about. The front set screws above the cross member are a bit tricky to get at but it can be done.
The oil pump can also be replaced with the engine in situ but it does need the bolt for the left side engine mount removed and the engine jacked up a bit on that side. If you replace the oil pump you need to replace the cover plate with the one from your old pump. That part is unique to Jensen so don't lose it.
Thanks....I will look at it. Coming to conclusion that just get the engine out and at same time look at transmission and drive train...can also tidy up engine compartment when engine out
Thanks
David

Warwickshire.....
E Type Series 2
1957 Land Rover Series 1
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

30 odd years with Jensen- ALL my cars inc SP's run RJ12YC & always have (champion) when everything is in good shape they are fine.
Not sure why people are so neg about them- I have serviced about a million (slightly less!) Jensen's over time- my boss traded more than anyone else, so we saw many, apart from usual warped nackered SP carbs that kill plugs- any plugs, never an issue.
I have 48 sets in stock, or I'm a nutter that has no idea!!

Bosche & NGK I find are not liked by any Jensen, but the Astons like NGK's strangely- poss a heat thing- rover v8 seems also to prefer them.

Great looking project- all the best with it.
ernie100

Post by ernie100 »

zacmarshall wrote:I've split these posts from the original topic about the owner of a C-V8 introducing themselves.

If you want to join the club (no obligation to :-) ) the rates have just reduced for the remainder of the year, you can join on-line here:
Hi I will be joining and hope to meet you all at Derby on Sunday...just trying to sort out diary
Thanks
David

Warwickshire.....
E Type Series 2
1957 Land Rover Series 1
kenny38

poverty stricken owner

Post by kenny38 »

Hi Zac. Is there any way a pensioner living on Foxtel and baked beans can get a nicer joining rate? O/S (actually Australia) Recently to make ends meet I have taken guests. The first of whom was Richard Calver who tried selling me a chassis book in hard cover. I told him my financial state and he left with "urgent business" to do. What about 20 quid? I can just about manage that.
Hope your new job is going well. Kenny38 :cry:

Return to “General Discussion”