Engine heat evacuation syste

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
73nrceptor

Re: Engine heat evacuation syste

Post by 73nrceptor »

Joe, I did not detect any heat in the hottest weather from the floor or floor vents but maybe because the AC was on. A noticeable reduction from the floor was from the underbody heat shields above the exhaust, after the flooring insulation was already in and was helping. The Sanden holds up well in 93 degreesF with fan on high, and even with a nearly black roof, the temperature inside is acceptably non-hot, but not chilled. I did put a higher speed AC fan in years ago. I have not measured the temperature and don't consider it a problem. Will give you a call.
Tim Waller
73 Interceptor III 140/8836
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Just a bit of info that may help someone. My stock 1972 system works well and the car has never been apart inside so it still has the original insulation. I don't recall the floor getting hot and I rarely use the AC with the blower on anything but the lowest speed. Of course on those 95 degree days it does get marginal! And I have converted the system to 134A refrigerant.
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Slotcarone. Good information. Do you use your car in a warm or hot part of the country? I am in the final part of finishing up my restoration (extensive) and am looking forward to enjoying driving it with my wife and friends and comfort is important.
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Joe--I am in Dutchess County NY which is about an hour north of Manhattan. Of course it gets brutally hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. I have also driven it in cold weather and has great heat too!
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Talked to Tim W yesterday he brought up a heat problem with his Alt. Frank Schwartz has also brought this topic up. I worked on restorations of two Mira's. They had a a hard insulation piece of material on the firewall that I replaced. It came in small sheets of different thickness. I believe a small sheet of this material can be installed between the alt and the exhaust manifold or headers to reduce the heat problem causing the Alta to fail because of high heat. I will go through my records for the name of the material and possible source. Jaguar used a similar shield on their XKE's for heat shield protection. Racer Joe
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

The sheet insulation is nomex. Used in racing to deflect heat. I bought some two days ago to deflect the high heat of the altonator a result of the Rt exhaust manifold radiating unbelievable radiant heat. Almost 275 degrees while I Was ideling manifold Next to the exhaust the alt which is heat sensitive needs heat protection. I will use sheet nomex to try to deflect the high heat and possibly an air tube from the grill area Grant will put up a post in a few days
Lee Grover

Post by Lee Grover »

P1010048.JPG
P1010048.JPG (220.31 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
Regarding alternator overheating,I installed a cooling tube to mine awhile back. Had some leftover VW Type 1 heater hose lying about and used that. Ran it forwards to the grill,same as I did for the cold air intake tubes. No overheating issues with my alternator,just wanted to try it. Seems to work OK,placed a big box fan in front of the grill and I could feel the cool air flowing over the alternator. I got the idea from the '88 928 S4. Porsche has a dedicated cooling tube to their alternator. If it works for them it seemed like a good idea to me :)

Lee
125/5124.....my ol' blue Mark Two
....and some other makes swimming in the motor pool.
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

You did exactly what I thought to do so good info thanks RacerJoe
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

I had the car out in high 80's. No heat problems nothing hot out of the heat vents. Need to shoot air to the Altonater. Running about 300 degrees from exhaust manifold. Will use sheet nomex to block heat plus crake ducting from the side of the Radiator. I did use my 1" hood riser latch conversion. RacerJoe
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

I placed a small sheet of nomex between the Autonator back side and the head and curved it around the long exhaust manifold bolt to deflect any heat radiating toward the altonator. Hope to get the temps well below 200, possibly 180 or less. Much faster than installing duct work. I am in the process of replacing my front wheel studs with longer studs. I needed more space for my 4 Pod XJS front Calipers. So the work goes on sorting 18 years of restoration plus other stuff
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Just came back from an hour drive on a mild day. The evacuation fans were pumping out 150 degree air and the temp outside is in the high 60's. Hot air also pumping out of rear of the hood. I have the 1" hood risers installed. The heat evacuation system does release a lot of built up engine heat. The alt deflector nomex shield works like a charm. I have GM 105 Amp alt bolted in the original Chrysler mount and the Alt is within 1/8" of the Rt head with the exhaust very close to the alt. I placed the sheet nomex just behind the alt and it works deflecting any heat buildup to the altè
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Drove my car about 80 miles yesterday in high 80 degrees weather. I noticed slight heat coming in from one of the A/C blower vents the far right one. Not excessive. Is there anyone out there with there firewall heater box removed that can tell me if engine heat can get in the heat AC air induction system through the engine compartment or is it isolated only possible through the fresh air intake outside on the cowl area. My experience with engine heat was minimal but would affect the a/c drop in temp. The overall temperature in the car was very pleasant. I feel the heat evacuation definitely is affecting the lack of heat build up. I have my hood slightly raised for greater evacuation of engine heat however that may be the source of engine heat coming the cowl vent. I can block off the vent which I will do to see if that cures the slight heat coming one of the AC vents. No heat coming in from the heat vents. More info the next time I go for a long drive. RacerJoe
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Joe Schiavone wrote: I have my hood slightly raised for greater evacuation of engine heat however that may be the source of engine heat coming the cowl vent. I can block off the vent which I will do to see if that cures the slight heat coming one of the AC vents. No heat coming in from the heat vents. More info the next time I go for a long drive. RacerJoe
If you have the bonnet ( hood) raised the hot air could be being drawn into the cool air vents
(diagram is from mk 1 workshop manual - no Aircon so might be slightly different to your car.)
Attachments
From the workshop manual
From the workshop manual
image.jpeg (208.76 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Is there not a similar drawing for the MK2/3 Steve, This drawing is for a MK1 Steve isn't it, but I don't think there was a lot of difference between the two variants :?
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

As Joe lives in a tropical climate, it might be wise to blank off the heater inlet and outlet connections at the engine, throw away the Rancid Valve, discard the two miles of heater hose, block off the water connections to the heater box, and get the air conditioning working.
Oh, and ditch those clips that hold the bonnet ajar.
It completely ruins the beautiful lines of the car.
:)

Return to “General Discussion”