Tyres (yet again)

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Re: Tyres (yet again)

Post by Tim SP »

P4000, D sp sport, M XWX, all garbage- that a real concern here.
the former are SP FACTORY standard, also were factory on 365 family & DBSV8/AMV8 family- so I'd think that teck was fine when driving this Quality new, maybe people driving such quality had no idea of the excrement rubber, despite the car costing a small london counsil estate- maybe AM,Jensen, Ferarri, Monteverdi, ISO, Monica,Maserati, lambo,Gordon-keeble, Allard,Lotus,Facel,Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Bristol, Lagonda, De-Tomatoe!, AC (yup you risked your life on those covers apparently) Basicly everyone that made serious road/track autos.
My Daytona is without being rude is 100,000$, and to think the factory tyres are garbage, I will look into this seriously.

Avon are crap likley too, so I take more than a 'roger' chance when racing the DBR1/2- wow, its a worry.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hahhahahhahaa :lol: Brilliant post there Tim ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ...... We're alive Still... Praise the Lord :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
===========
On a set of MK3 Alloy Rims I put a set of P6000 .. they awere 235/60 as o'spposed to the original correct size that 205/70's ... But I am not correct in saying that a 235/60 on 6.5J width Rim with give you the same rolling radius as a 205/70 on the same 6.5J Rim?... if not exactly the same the difference is so minimal, those tyres never rubbed at all anywhere .. I got the 235/60's as the 205/70's were not available at the time ... I think they are a much nicer tyre size aswell ... not for the purist though.
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

I feel the Jensen needs a 70 series tyre to make the car look correct, Although the 205 -70 just does not cut it looks puny, 215 is getting there, 225 perfect as the king SP, :wink: Was fitted as standard, i have a set of wheels here with 235-70-15, they look the nuts fitted on the car but probably to much tyre for the wheel width,,
i just took my sp for an mot it has the pirreli 205,s fitted until i get my original wheels refurbed, it wanted to snake the arse end on a mild 1-2 shift road was damp but what garbage tires they are,

225-70-15 every time for me,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
ajc9415

Post by ajc9415 »

Grant wrote: On a set of MK3 Alloy Rims I put a set of P6000 .. they awere 235/60 as o'spposed to the original correct size that 205/70's ... But I am not correct in saying that a 235/60 on 6.5J width Rim with give you the same rolling radius as a 205/70 on the same 6.5J Rim?... if not exactly the same the difference is so minimal, those tyres never rubbed at all anywhere .. I got the 235/60's as the 205/70's were not available at the time ... I think they are a much nicer tyre size aswell ... not for the purist though.
Grant, you're correct. A 205/70 will have a tyre wall height of 144mm (70% of 205) and a 235/60 will have a wall height of 141mm (60% of 235) . So 3mm different on each side which is close enough in my opinion.

Regards

Adrian
Adrian
1974 Interceptor Mk III 2240-9415
JOC Member 9648
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Tim SP wrote:P4000, D sp sport, M XWX, all garbage- that a real concern here.
the former are SP FACTORY standard, also were factory on 365 family & DBSV8/AMV8 family- so I'd think that teck was fine when driving this Quality new, maybe people driving such quality had no idea of the excrement rubber, despite the car costing a small london counsil estate- maybe AM,Jensen, Ferarri, Monteverdi, ISO, Monica,Maserati, lambo,Gordon-keeble, Allard,Lotus,Facel,Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Bristol, Lagonda, De-Tomatoe!, AC (yup you risked your life on those covers apparently) Basicly everyone that made serious road/track autos.
My Daytona is without being rude is 100,000$, and to think the factory tyres are garbage, I will look into this seriously.

Avon are crap likley too, so I take more than a 'roger' chance when racing the DBR1/2- wow, its a worry.

All probably true Tim, but look what your 3 litre gt capri was wearing or austin cambridge inferior cars at the time so were there tyres techo has moved on, still cant beat the orig pirrs that were fitted to KING sp,S Thats what mine is getting,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I have an idea the maximum tyre width you can (should) put on a 6 1/2 J rim is a 225. Any wider and you will go outside the construction and use regulations which could invalidate your insurance. Be cautious.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
dougal

Post by dougal »

Hi

when it comes to what tyres to fit, this is an interesting article on a back to back test of classic tyres https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer ... rticle.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your choice of tyres are on here http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/jensen-interceptor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with some information. if you would like to add to it please let us know. we just want it to be right.

the Pirelli's are on here http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/pi ... urato-cn12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and for the FF you may well find a real bargain.

This was a good advert i cam accross
Chain Gang for ever
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Not Interceptor tyres but tyres for the XJ220

This video tells the story of the lack of tyres for the XJ220, and how they have manufactured a modern equivalent.

In my opinion a must for viewing.

http://www.evo.co.uk/jaguar/18727/bridg ... ntary-film
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
Blue-SP

Post by Blue-SP »

I would not say that Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop are garbage, they are perfectly good tyres, but they are old design and dated and if you wish to pay for authenticity then that is each persons choice. You have to remember that in the 60's and 70's we produced ( Great Britain) the majority of products that went into making a car, Dunlop were at Fort Dunlop in Birmingham and Goodyear were in Wolverhampton, today neither of these companies make car tyres in the UK. Both now are just licenced names and make tyres in Korea, South Africa, Japan and China. The Dunlop plant (Fort Dunlop)is now offices and housing and the Vintage moulds were moved to a plant in Portugal where the Camac budget tyres are made. The Dunlop and Pirelli brands are sold for vintage applications and therefore do not have to show ECE tyre labelling showing how good or bad they are. Jensen Interceptor may be a classic but they definitely do not hang around and can certainly be a little feisty on the rear end. A modern tyre will always outperform a vintage tread design
Previously there was mention of different vehicles and in amongst this was Rolls Royce which when the first Silver Shadow (1965) came out had 815V15 Dunlop Crossply as O/E, within 3 years these were replaced with a 205VR15 Avon radial and when the Shadow 2 (1977)came out it was replaced with 235/70R15, the very last Bentley Turbo using the body shell used a 255/65x15 so it shows that manufacturers do keep up with the times, it was just that 70 series were new in the 70's and the 60 series that various members are using were introduced in the eighties.
Lastly the argument that you get what you pay for is nonsense, all tyres are ECE approved and modern tyres have performance labelling.It is common knowledge that the major names own the less known brands so they sell tyres in every level of consumer purchase, why a tyre needs to be a price it is, because we will pay it. 255/50x16 as example is fitted to my Aston Martin also fits Ferrari , price for Michelin on websites £446.50ea, I have B.F.Goodrich fitted for £192.00, less than half the price. When you know that BFG is actually owned by Michelin you appreciate that manufacturers price to suit their market. A case where the USA get a better deal on tyres than the UK.
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

have had my tyres for 25 years and they are admittedly a bit slippery in the wet but they have only let me down 6-7 times over that time. Kenny38 :shock:
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

I have 225/70x15's on my car and I think they look just right. Don't rub anywhere. Too bad they have been on it since 1987 and are getting a little worn out!
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
kees

Post by kees »

ECE approval and obligatory performance labelling do say precious little about the quality and performance of the tires. At best they insure a minimum level and they are are highly unreliable. Better watch the results in consumer organisation tests like Which and perhaps AA in the UK, Stiftung Warentest and ADAC in Germany, Consumentenbond and ANWB in the Netherlands.
Also be aware that there are hardly any follow up inspections/tests after the approval. Not in any country! The tests are usually performed by the manufacturer itself!!!.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Slotcarone. You couldn't help yourself could you. Upstaging an old feller. Well i put a second hand tyre on my wheel barrow nearly 40 years ago and there is still a bit of rubber but a lot of canvas. Was an Avon and expensive but I always say buy the best. Kenny38 :shock:
ascotts1

Post by ascotts1 »

I read earlier about various tyres including Michelin XWX's being garbage. Well, all I can say is that the comment is not only uncalled for but also unfounded. Perhaps I should rename this thread, 'Get a Grip'!!

Besides the fact that the Michelin XWX's were exceptional tyres at the time ( Did Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc, etc, all get it SO wrong??), with a constant-run 168mph speed rating, you will find that these days most manufacturers of old style tyres use up to date modern compounds and overall tyre construction technology whilst using the original style tread pattern. I'm not sure how many Jensen owners have driven their cars at a 'true' 168mph or more, or in fact have ever driven their cars in a race or true unrestricted speed tarmac rally but as an ex proffessional racer and having driven a Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 ( similar weight and power as an Interceptor) in closed road & unrestricted speed events on XWX's, I can tell you they are nothing short of excellent, along with the fact that they look just so right and worth every penny. Bare in mind, proper closed section tarmac rallies, such as the Targa Tasmania in Australia are driven at speeds for the conditions that I assure you, cannot EVER be achieved in normal driving. I have always said, "imagine the fastest you have ever driven on a normal open road, mountain pass etc, then double it"! That is what it is like to drive in these events and the subsequent strains on car and driver are probably quadrupled compared to normal fast driving.

Personally, I chose the 215/70/15 size for my Interceptor 111 as I feel the 205's just look a touch undertyred these days and I used to think the 225/70's' looked a touch ballooned on an Interceptor but this does vary of-course from one brand of tyre to another as some are of distinctly different size, even tough they have the same marking eg. 205 or 215, etc.. I would however, like to see a car fitted withy the original spec Pirelli 225/70/15 though, ( as per the SP's and US spec series 111's) to see the look these days as I may update my opinion but only if they are the same tread pattern as original...

To add food for thought, my FF has 225/65/15's on it, (as that is the way I bought it and as yet I haven't got to doing any detail work on the car) and as much as I am pretty fussy with this kind of thing, it actually looks quite good but longer term they have to go in place of some original spec Dunlop SP Sport (or Aquajets as they were known in some markets) on the original rims. As for the second set of wheels and tyres that I want to get for it, we'll see..... :wink:

'74 Series 111 with 215/70/15 Michelin WXW's
fullsizeoutput_1473.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1473.jpeg (581.98 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
'70 FF II with 225/65/15 ( I can't remember what brand...)
IMG_3610.JPG
IMG_3610.JPG (155.42 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
1974 Mk III 2240/9345, 1970 FF 127/227
Mark Ell

Post by Mark Ell »

I have p4000 on mine, in the dry they are great, in the wet they are very slippy
128-4562 G Series III interceptor

Return to “General Discussion”