No politics? Oh dear...

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Blast

Re: No politics? Oh dear...

Post by Blast »

On the forum where I am chief moderator we have relegated political discussion to a child board.... people are warned to avoid it if they have a sensitive nature.
Might work here...
I HATE locking posts.... though it happens....
The rules here could be more specific too.
Ex CV8 104/2013
Ex 541 no 541585633

Time for a JH ??
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

It really says "...if the admin team do not LIKE a thread or post..." in the forum rules???
So the subline of this forum actually means "you may discuss anything we would like you to discuss"?

Oh, I see.

My fault, I should have read the rules more carefully. I would have never even taken part in such a discussion,
if I had known THIS. It was beyond my imagination, sorry.

Under these circumstances there is of course no point in opening a post where a point of view or taste might come into play.

I would have loved to continue sharing and exchanging our thoughts about what's happening to our countries.
But what the hey, let's move on to the oily areas of this in all other respects beautiful forum and play with bits and nuts.

Pity. And maybe also a bit embarrassing?

Good night,
Oliver
Interceptor MKIII
Range Rover Classic
Marcos Mantula
Jaguar XJS V12 Convertible
Jaguar XJS V12 manual (original 4speed)
Blast

Post by Blast »

Anything can fall foul of disapproval... it happened with the fibreglass mould discussion..
Ex CV8 104/2013
Ex 541 no 541585633

Time for a JH ??
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Blast wrote:On the forum where I am chief moderator we have relegated political discussion to a child board.... people are warned to avoid it if they have a sensitive nature.
Might work here...
I HATE locking posts.... though it happens....
The rules here could be more specific too.
Brilliant idea. Complaining to a moderator rather than replying to the person causing "offence" is like asking Teacher to act for you.
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

God this reminds me of the old days with the mailing list and the infamous "Ocker"
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

JHV8 wrote:God this reminds me of the old days with the mailing list and the infamous "Ocker"
Interesting (if that's the right word) discussion between Ocker and Stephen Wintle there at the moment.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I've said this before, and I will say it again, locking posts does more damage than not. Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote in her biography of Voltaire "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" and describes the principle of freedom of speech.
Threads should not be locked just because someone doesn't like the discussion.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Chris_R wrote:I've said this before, and I will say it again, locking posts does more damage than not. Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote in her biography of Voltaire "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" and describes the principle of freedom of speech.
Threads should not be locked just because someone doesn't like the discussion.
Thank you.
Interceptor MKIII
Range Rover Classic
Marcos Mantula
Jaguar XJS V12 Convertible
Jaguar XJS V12 manual (original 4speed)
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

There's no reason why we shouldn't discuss politics here.
We are all people with a common interest in cars and it's quite normal that the conversation should wander from time-to-time.
BUT........ Let's keep it polite and reasonable.

We wouldn't walk up to a newly restored car in an unfortunate colour and say "Oi mate, your car looks awful, you've completley wasted the last two years!

The subject of immigration is a complete side-show as far as I'm concerned. My complaint against our association with Europe is that it's transformed from being a trade club into the possibility of the United States of Europe. Like most people in 1975 I was happy to vote to remain as a member of the EEC (European Economic Community or 'common market')
To quote: "The 1974 general election promised that the people would decide through the ballot box whether to remain in the EEC. The electorate expressed significant support for EEC membership, with 67% in favour on a 65% turnout." I'm extremely unhappy that our politicians have allowed this to become the EU (European Union) with all the talk of 'every closer union among the peoples of Europe'. I know here is an opt-out clause for the UK but do not believe that it would be sustainable under pressure.
Having said all that I'm really sad that we are leaving and feel we must now concentrate our efforts on doing whatever we do best - trading.

Exciting news coming up soon about my CV-8!
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
Keith

Post by Keith »

JHV8 wrote:God this reminds me of the old days with the mailing list and the infamous "Ocker"
Everything Ocker said was "in the best possible taste", so not really sure what you're referring to?
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Barrie wrote:Exciting news coming up soon about my CV-8!
You have a C-V8??! :shock: :roll:
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Barrie wrote: We wouldn't walk up to a newly restored car in an unfortunate colour and say "Oi mate, your car looks awful, you've completley wasted the last two years!
Why not? :twisted:
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Post by Barrie »

Chris_R wrote:
Barrie wrote: We wouldn't walk up to a newly restored car in an unfortunate colour and say "Oi mate, your car looks awful, you've completley wasted the last two years!
Why not? :twisted:
Because it might offend you :twisted: :twisted:
(Why bother with politics when there is repartee)
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Shall we try a little practical experiment? I'll go first.
"Oi Barrie, your C-V8 engine rebuild is awful, you've completely wasted the last six years!"

Your turn. I believe Anglo-Saxon does not count as repartee.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Christian

Post by Christian »

Forget all your political problems, let's talk about football Image

(irony, no offence intended) :wink:
1968 Interceptor MK1 115/2950 (See full restoration-story: http://www.interceptor-mk1.de)
1967 Interceptor MK1 117/2609 R.I.P †
BMW 550iAT (lpg)
BMW 120d
JOC-Member 9838

Return to “General Discussion”