classic car values.2016

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Michael Richardson

classic car values.2016

Post by Michael Richardson »

When I came on line ,and with the Jensen scene in my head,following my experience in the early seventies as a retail dealer,my interest has remained. I told my family that the best car to buy,as a real classic would be an Interceptor. Why ? because they were dirt cheap,and cost more than a Rolls or a Ferrari,when new. My take on values 2012 was say Int III circa 20-22K,and therefore convertible,around 40-42K. Clarkson,in the Sunday Times (03.03.13) commented that the Jensen was at the bottom of the bargain basement of the classic car market. He went on to say that you could buy a decent example for five thousand pounds,which was,of course journalistic rubbish. ....Where is the market now? Well ,at Goodwood yersteday the Int convertible sold just over base at 46K,Do we assume that there was a price hike for all classics in 2013/14/15,but this bubble has now floated off,and we are back to where we were? Possibly. However,con you explain to me why,in the same auction a black,tatty,but original 300SL sold for more than a silver perfect example ? and yesterday,a AM -DB2,a complete wreck,with some sort of 'team' history,sold for three quarters of a million..Is it like a piece of art,do you keep it untouched,just as you would never play with a Renoir,Cezanne,VG,or any of the French impressionists.....I dont know.
Denis

Re: classic car values.2016

Post by Denis »

I see, that there are "hot" and "not hot" classics. Some prices are stable for decades, and some prices are tripled.
Love classic cars!
interjen

Post by interjen »

But come on folks, is this all about making money or having fun? If you can afford a Ferrari or Aston go for it! I'm as fed up as you with these ridiculous Jensen prices but sometimes you just have to think, what the hell, this is fun!!! some day the other idiots will realise that, and we will be the first to enjoy the price rises having had all the fun beforehand :wink: .
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
1922 Aveling and Porter Steam Roller (Sally)
GPZ900R
Michael Richardson

Post by Michael Richardson »

Interjen. With a garage that you have put together,who cares what happens to the classic car market ? Life is for living ,and enjoying. Values are then irrelevant.All you are required to do is maintain your prized possessions to the best of your ability,in that ,eventually,someone else will continue to do so. OMG,that sounds a bit morbid, ........just let us hope that petrol remains available,and we are allowed to use it,and are not forced to motor around in some sort of electric go-cart. !
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

In a 100 years or so our cars if they still here and will be little better than dinosaurs, petrol will probably be almost non existent and if there is any for our cars it will probably cost a weeks wages to fill it up if even you are allowed to.

Look at Steam engines, I have a friend who has a couple that he takes them to shows and charity events, if it is more than 80 miles away it is cheaper to hire a low loader to take the engine. He goes to Bloxham Steam fair and it is about an 80 mile round trip. it costs him about £300 in coal per engine and he uses 15 gallons of water per mile.

Enjoy our cars and don't worry about there worth, you will spend a long time dead and it is not a competition to be the richest person in the graveyard.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Steve Payne wrote:
Enjoy our cars and don't worry about there worth,
Steve
Hear Hear - I wonder though - other than those who deal in cars professionally, has anyone on this forum bought a car with the primary objective of make money on?
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

Never a Jensen... But I have attempted to revive quite a few classics from a local wrecking yard that were complete and of interest to collectors (and me).. If you are not greedy, and do it for the fun as well as a small profit (small is the key word here) then its possible to keep your hands dirty and your pocket book level. I think the show Wheeler Dealers is a good example of how this works... You can sell with an apparent profit, until you decide to pay yourself for the labor involved. Working for 5 bucks an hour is fine with me if Im having fun and doing what I like... with that said, Im still trying to sell the 66 Tbird, and still need to get the transmission into the 62 Cadillac Coupe Deville... a good storage area is key.
BKB
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
Denis

Post by Denis »

Once we spoke with guys and found, that everything over 40 years old, in good driving condition and at least not too slow or ugly now have price tag over 5000
People just want cheap ticket to Classic Car universe.

Like Rover P6 3.5 for example. Or such cars like Saab 99, Volvo Amazon, Opel Rekord B/C, Peugeot 504, even Lada 1500.

5 years before this cars were cheap as chips.
Love classic cars!
Denis

Post by Denis »

Just good example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-Rover-35 ... 2433348907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love classic cars!
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

Ill take 5000 pounds for any of my non Jensen classics. Tbird is going up on ebay in 2 weeks for 6000USD... Clean California car with no rust, new bucket seat upholstery and a good running 390. We buy them for the scrappage value (about 800USD for a smaller car) and do what we can within a fixed budget for each car. The Tbird exceeded the budget by a bit hence the high price. It will still need some work, but... Then again, the cars don't really "return to the ground" when left alone for long periods... so the pickings are easier here in the high desert of California. While classics like my Tbird are easy to come by, I drive an Interceptor in part due to its Bentley mated with a Barracuda style lineage, not its value, high or low. Image
BKB
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
Denis

Post by Denis »

Bruce, - how many such original old vehicles still exist in US?
Is this different state-by-state?
From what I see on EBAY - prices are going high, and especially second hand parts are becoming more and more valuable.
I have 1955 buick and 1967 caddy, used second hand parts cost more than for Jensen..
Love classic cars!
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

Denis,
There are lots of cheap classics in the high desert of California. Things don't rust up here, they just obtain patina! Interior restorations and paint are the two keys to resuscitating some of these cars as the sun is not kind to either! Weve pulled everything from Mach one mustangs to 1958 Mercedes Pontons out of the yard, but all were rough and require full restoration. Great raw materials. Yes parts can be expensive, but some of the suppliers (Rock auto, Macs etc.) are stepping up with great reproduction parts as well as new parts that were not previously available (disc brake calipers for A body Mopars, etc.) If you chose your target well (mustang, Chevy C10 truck, A body barracuda etc.) most everything you need is available from the aftermarket. As you get into the older cars, parts are more difficult, but again the junk yard comes through (62 caddy jetaway 300 transmission for instance, 250.00USD with warranty). Labor is the killer unless you like doing these things yourself (which I do!) Your Buick is a "hard to get parts for" vehicle, but the caddy should be no problem here in CA... What do you need? :D Im off to the desert right now, back in a few days... :wink:
BKB
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com

Return to “General Discussion”