Oh dear ...

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Mickris

Re: Oh dear ...

Post by Mickris »

zacmarshall wrote:I just feel sorry for the 16 and 17 year olds that didn't have a vote but will have to live with the consequences.

Why feel sorry for them, who said what was done is wrong ???

Yes a lot of the voters were older but at the heart of it they were thinking of the future generation to pass on their experience and wisdom to help build a better future for the younger generation.

What needs to be done now is that people of all ages work together, to help build that strong future.
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Mickris wrote:
Why feel sorry for them, who said what was done is wrong ???

Yes a lot of the voters were older but at the heart of it they were thinking of the future generation to pass on their experience and wisdom to help build a better future for the younger generation.

What needs to be done now is that people of all ages work together, to help build that strong future.
I'm not saying it was right or wrong, it just seems to me that the 16 and 17 years olds are old enough to die for their country in the Army but aren't considered old enough to be given a vote in something that could affect them for the rest of the long lives in front of them.

As you say we have been dealt a hand and need to get on with trying to make it work.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
taximan

Post by taximan »

Unfortunately the 60% of youngsters who didn't bother to vote only have themselves to blame if they wanted to stay in the EU, I think voting should be made compulsory as in some other countries, it's not as if it was made difficult for any one person to cast their vote, there were after all many ways to do so and plenty of time to organise it.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
Keith

Post by Keith »

Is that they way it happened in 1942 Denis? They must teach a different version in your schools.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Keith

Post by Keith »

The only real response we can have now, I think.
Attachments
pooh.jpg
pooh.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Arne

Post by Arne »

Anton, if you think the EU is a good thing, you clearly have no idea what it's really all about.
It's about total political control, destroying national cultures, and removing your freedoms and prosperity.
I hope it collapses entirely before this year is out.
AH1951, living in the middle of Europe, inside the EU and deeply interested in political things I have a clear view to the EU and its acting.
What you say about the EU is nonsense. For me it´s a distorted view caused by prejudices and shows that you never understood what EU is for.
(By the way, Greece is not in that sitiuation because of the Euro, it´s because they spend to much money over decades.
The fault of the EU is not have been more strict earlier. )

But it doesn´t make sense to exchange arguments, you have your opinion and I have mine and I have to respect the result.

Thank you for your postings. They made it easier to understand what happend yesterday: An outdated mayoity of older people defraud the UK youth of their future in Europe.

Arne
Denis

Post by Denis »

But generally, what was EU-scepticism driven force in UK?

I really dont see any.
UK still not in Schengen, it does not have EURO, it does not had such refugees flood like some other members.

UK did not participated in EURO stability mechanism, due own currency, doesnt it?

Is this immigration issues? Or anything else?
Love classic cars!
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I can fully understand the British concerns, but not their reaction.
Being in the import and wholesale business I have to suffer from
new legal regulations and restrictions on a nearly weekly basis.
What was once meant to become a strong economical community
as a counterweight against China and the USA ended up in a playground
for overpaid and obsolete officials in Bruxelles.

Rather than putting up emotional debates and polls for/against leaving the EU
it would have been far more sensible to concentrate these endeavours on a public discussion
about how this could be changed.

We Germans do hate exactly the same things on the EU as you British do, believe me.
In a perfect world, we as the two big players should have collaborated to do away with
idiots making rules about the shape of bananas and the like. Yes, that's naive, I know.

I am pretty sure, there will come a time when the current youth gains political influence,
they will make an attempt to re-enter the EU. As a small England, probably.
In my eyes, GB achieved the best-possible position in the EU and it won't turn out to be a wise decision leaving it now.

Anyway, for the time being I can only hope, that the upcoming negotiations won't become too emotional.
I don't want to be thrown back in medieval times with tolls on my spare parts.
Interceptor MKIII
Range Rover Classic
Marcos Mantula
Jaguar XJS V12 Convertible
Jaguar XJS V12 manual (original 4speed)
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

It was more of a vote of no confidence in the establishment than an EU referendum really. The austerity measures the government has heaped on us to pay for the banking crisis has really hit the poor, vulnerable and disabled. Even the right-wing quiet man IDS resigned rather than punish the disabled as directed by Osborne. The threat that leaving the EU would cost the average family £5000 pa.or whatever was an insult to someone living on less, being taken from their life long family homes if they are deemed to have many rooms. Praying the working tax credits for the poor would remain whilst going through the food banks. Flood victims still living in hotels because their houses are unfit. The English poor feeling like 2nd class citizens in their own country, afraid to complain because the sanctimonious well educated middle classes would call them racist. The bankers apparently got off scot free (pardon the expression). The politicians in their ivory towers did not care our injured soldiers relied on charity, often homeless and mentally scarred .Coupled with the EU open door policy a storm was coming. If we waited till the 2020 general election I am sure real extremists would get in. Although it is bad I am sure its the lesser of the evils. Fingers crossed .....

The Chinese curse says "may you live in interesting times".....
Last edited by Frankoid on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Merkels premature "...wir schaffen das! (...we"ll cope with thar!) may eventually prove the root of much evil.
She may have chosen the right direction but ran off too fast and way too far.
Interceptor MKIII
Range Rover Classic
Marcos Mantula
Jaguar XJS V12 Convertible
Jaguar XJS V12 manual (original 4speed)
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Well gents (and any ladies reading), it's been interesting reading your contributions but to save the moderators being over-run with complaints and upset members I think it best if we get back to being a car club at this point. Thank you and good night. Post locked.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “General Discussion”