Christmas Present - update to 541 website

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: Christmas Present - update to 541 website

Post by VFK44 »

Fantastic detective work, Mick. The good news is that 889 ANN survives - the bad news is that it is a basket case, with its glamorous Continental cruising days long gone.

Maybe the current owner can give us an update of the restoration progress? It is a DS7 engined car; I'm surprised you didn't spot that with your jeweller's loupe, Mick!
889 ANN rescued from collapsed garage.
889 ANN rescued from collapsed garage.
20150130-02-06-75-UWLP.jpg (34.69 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
Incoming Editor designate
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Mickris

Post by Mickris »

If it is ANN she seems to have lost her wire wheels as well.
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

A DS7???? that makes it a 541R for sure .... I cant see the bonnet bulges in the post card.... or can I! I suppose the overriders could have been taken off..
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

The red one most certainly is an "R", rear fender strikes, chrome strips extending to the door and indeed the exhaust is on the driver's side, indicating the DS7 engine. Boot hinges at the top.
The bonnet probably is a replacement as this looks like a smooth 541 bonnet.
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

I do remember seeing this car. It is pictured outside Andrew Cassars Brixton workshop. I wish I paid closer inspection now!
RogerBrotton

Post by RogerBrotton »

889 ANN is now in my ownership.......any unknown early history would be appreciated.

It isn't on wire wheels, and I don't think it ever was....but black was the original colour.
Can't read Spanish...so I don't get the inference of the postcard ??

Restoration will commence soon..............but I guess this one is as bad as it gets......and some !
Friends are of the opinion that I should be certified first....that's what friends are for ?
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

RogerBrotton wrote:889 ANN is now in my ownership.......any unknown early history would be appreciated.

It isn't on wire wheels, and I don't think it ever was....but black was the original colour.
Can't read Spanish...so I don't get the inference of the postcard ??

Restoration will commence soon..............but I guess this one is as bad as it gets......and some !
Friends are of the opinion that I should be certified first....that's what friends are for ?
The car could have been fitted with wire wheels sometime in its life as these were fitted to bolt-on adapters. No modifications whatsoever to the brake drums were required, so easy to remove and to put steel wheels back on.
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

The handwriting on the card seems to be in Dutch! Something like Dear Greetings from Stiges.

Nothing to do with the car, of course.

Thrilled to hear it was originally black as I was beginning to doubt it could be the same car. Black was not a common 541 colour, so the odds are swinging back in its favour. Have you any old photos showing it without over-riders?

Stephen
Stephen, Epping, Essex
RogerBrotton

Post by RogerBrotton »

I will check my file on my car when I get back into the workshop. The car originally came off the road due to a frontal impact. The owner bought a bonnet (541..thus flat) and I seem to recall a note somewhere of a quote to do the work.....it didn't happen.......poor storage has reduced it to a bit of a ''challenge'' to say the least. It is far worse than the photo depicts.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Roger, the white bonnet seems to be off an R, and the bonnet underneath is matching red, so I assume this is an R bonnet? So do you have a third flat bonnet?

The original flat bonnets are now very rare, so I suggest finding a grateful buyer for this and getting a proper R bonnet. Like so many other early 541s, I have a replacement R bonnet on mine.
Stephen, Epping, Essex
RogerBrotton

Post by RogerBrotton »

Thanks for the info......I will check everything when back to my workshop........the bonnet is in safe dry storage in another building.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

I am what you might call a blinkered jensen man, my love for the cars is limited to the interceptor and at that it has to be a 111 or an SP all other variants models etc never raised a glance from me, Till now i look at that postcard and that 541 looks stunning but honestly to anyone remotly of grid would not have a clue what on earth the car is,, but imagine Bond had used one in the early films boy would it be a different matter,,, it would have a super star apeal like the Aston,,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

cannonball wrote:I am what you might call a blinkered jensen man, my love for the cars is limited to the interceptor and at that it has to be a 111 or an SP all other variants models etc never raised a glance from me, Till now i look at that postcard and that 541 looks stunning but honestly to anyone remotly of grid would not have a clue what on earth the car is,, but imagine Bond had used one in the early films boy would it be a different matter,,, it would have a super star apeal like the Aston,,
That, ladies and gentleman, has to be the ultimate compliment for the 541!
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

I, like Duncan, started off being seen only with the Jensen Interceptor MkIII, admiring the SP. Then I slipped into FF's and finally started getting into the heavy stuff, 541's. The Interceptor MkIII is a fine gateway car into the finer, more refined purer class "A" Jensens...
RogerBrotton

Post by RogerBrotton »

VKF 44........Just checked, the bonnet for 889 ANN is a 541R.
I also have the receipt from the club spares dept for it........in 1980. £175.00...Cheap at twice the price.
I believe the second owner bought this car in 1977, and it came with the ANN registration, but was re-painted red by then. His wifes name was Felicity Ann, but I think that was just a nice co-incidence, but it might just have influenced the purchase !

I will do more research through the DVLA.
Now, back to writing up the 'wish list' for parts..........it could take a while.

Return to “General Discussion”