Tyres - same old topic but help needed

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Stef

Re: Tyres - same old topic but help needed

Post by Stef »

kees wrote:In the past I have seen quite a lot of Vredestein Sprint (on Austin Healey/TR6) which could not be balanced. Appearantly some have/had small defects in the tyre wall causing small bulges/uneveness.
Kees Oudesluijs
With all do respect Kees, I disagree with you on this one.
The tyres can be balanced very wel, from the 50+ Vredesteins I've mounted I have never had any problems.
What I do see is that the wire wheels from TR6 and Austin Healey most of the times are balanced wrongly. Many companies balance them with a cone and wire wheels need to be balanced on the splines.

Best regards,
Stef.
Proud owner of a:
- Jensen Healey MK2
- Jensen GT Saturn gold.
- Jensen GT Pine green.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I have also seen Vredesteins with "defects" in the walls - even from new, bulges etc. so it isn't unheard of.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Just for information, there is a well-known (non-)issue with the Vredesteins, whereby the sidewall distorts with radial grooving after a short period of use. This can be unsightly, but is apparently perfectly safe and due to the way the plies of the tyre behave.

Picture via PistonHeads:
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

At least if I have an issue with the Blockley tyres I can drive up the Fosse Way and shout at someone...
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

zacmarshall wrote:At least if I have an issue with the Blockley tyres I can drive up the Fosse Way and shout at someone...
or catch a bus :)
taximan

Post by taximan »

Not checked if these are available but listed so???

http://www.cheaponlinetyres.com/index.p ... ct_id=1339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
toonkojak
JOC Eastern Europe Rep

Post by toonkojak »

Mickris wrote:I get all my tyres from these lads free 48hr delivery to your door. Most brands are catered for here's the Vredestein's £138 a corner.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/vr ... #100632424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
k

oponeo is a Polish company, the largest online tire store in Poland. I've had no idea they also sell in the UK.
125/5021
133/5793
Mickris

Post by Mickris »

oponeo is a Polish company, the largest online tire store in Poland. I've had no idea they also sell in the UK.
The tyres are sent from a depot in Belgium and are delivered to your door within 48hrs of ordering.

They also trade in Ireland.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Anton001 wrote:With Falken (german make) you do not comprimese at all. I also want to drive with good and reliable tyres. With the power of a Jensen it is stupid to go for "bad" tyres.
Falken is a german word (=falcon), but no german tyre. They are japanese made by Sumitomo Rubber Industries, the name probably chosen for enhancing the product image.

If you don't want to waste a lot of money then have a look for the Federal SS-657 in the Int' Size 215/70 R15 98T. It's an all-season tyre with a "T" Speed rating (=190 kmh/118 mph). Should make a sensible choice for classic car driving. Price is 50.10 £ at mytyres.co.uk
kees

Post by kees »

Hardy wrote:
Anton001 wrote:With Falken (german make) you do not comprimese at all. I also want to drive with good and reliable tyres. With the power of a Jensen it is stupid to go for "bad" tyres.
Falken is a german word (=falcon), but no german tyre. They are japanese made by Sumitomo Rubber Industries, the name probably chosen for enhancing the product image.

If you don't want to waste a lot of money then have a look for the Federal SS-657 in the Int' Size 215/70 R15 98T. It's an all-season tyre with a "T" Speed rating (=190 kmh/118 mph). Should make a sensible choice for classic car driving. Price is 50.10 £ at mytyres.co.uk
I presume that in most EU countries the T speed rating for tyres on an Interceptor are not legal. The Interceptor will easily surpass 190km/h.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
kees

Post by kees »

Stef wrote:
kees wrote:In the past I have seen quite a lot of Vredestein Sprint (on Austin Healey/TR6) which could not be balanced. Appearantly some have/had small defects in the tyre wall causing small bulges/uneveness.
Kees Oudesluijs
With all do respect Kees, I disagree with you on this one.
The tyres can be balanced very wel, from the 50+ Vredesteins I've mounted I have never had any problems.
What I do see is that the wire wheels from TR6 and Austin Healey most of the times are balanced wrongly. Many companies balance them with a cone and wire wheels need to be balanced on the splines.

Best regards,
Stef.
Stef,

These Vredestein Sprint tires were fitted on steel or aluminium wheels, not wire wheels with which one can have all sorts of problems.
These tires did balance OK when fitted but it did not take long before the cars started shaking and one or more of the tires needed balancing again which only helped for a while. One friend with a TR6 was very patient with Vredestein, who did replace several tires under warranty which solved the problem for a few months. In the end however he changed to other tires, probably Michelin, which solved the problem permanently.

Cheers,
Kees
J-H MkII, 1974
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

"I presume that in most EU countries the T speed rating for tyres on an Interceptor are not legal. The Interceptor will easily surpass 190km/h."
Kees Oudesluijs

Good advice but just check with your insurer. I think that the Interceptor should have "V" (150mph) rated tyres (rare as hens teeth and very expensive) but my insurers were quite happy with the "H" rated (130mph) (a world of choice at sensible prices) I have fitted.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Blockley tyres do a V rated tyre.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
kees

Post by kees »

It is not only your insurer. In some countries it is illigal to drive such a car and once involved in a shunt you may be held responsible for the accident whatever the cause, also for foreign visitors.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Well right, but the Federals are all-weather tyres with M+S ("slush and snow") marking, which qualifies them as winter tyres. So just add a sticker with "max. 190 km/h" on the dashboard and it's perfectly legal and you are safe insurancewise all year round, as long as you don't exceed the indicated speed. This may be different in other european countries but it seems to be common practice to use winter or all-season tyres with lower speed codes.

Return to “General Discussion”