Rostyle riveting.

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Denis

Rostyle riveting.

Post by Denis »

Finally got my rostyles from chromework. Now it should be reveted together. Previously I have been told, that there some particular know how which should be used, and if you not follow it, tires will run flat, balance will be wrong etc.

One thing which I discovered from our conversations that riverts should be same as original, not bigger, otherwise it will hit brakes. Any other underwater rocks?

Best regards,

Denis
Love classic cars!
stevej
V8 Lover

Re: Rostyle riveting.

Post by stevej »

Hi Dennis,

Having spent half a lifetime building and installing power presses for customers , including several companies that supply wheels
to lorry ,car ,trailer and caravan manufacturers, I would not use wheels that are only riveted together after having being split to refurbish !

During manufacture, the two halves of a steel wheel are pressed together, as they are an interference fit using between 20 - 150 tons on a hydraulic press dependant on size.

This gives the wheel its structural strength before the riveting and or welding process takes place to provide the finished article.

This structural integrity is missing from wheels that have been split as the interference fit no longer or barely exists.

I think a few wheel refurb people have stopped doing this work recently as the quality of the finished product cannot be guaranteed.

Ive seen them with silicone sealant plugging the gaps and a few rivets between them and total disaster !

Cheers
Steve
Interceptor 1 115/3111
Interceptor 3 136/8617
Convertible 2340/9501
FF Mk 2 127/247
Rock

Re: Rostyle riveting.

Post by Rock »

Check out my old thread entitled ROSTYLE REFURBISHMENT Steve is spot on and I doubt whether anyone is refurbing properly unless the 2 halves are not separated in which case the re chroming will not be perfect.
Keith Hudson

Return to “General Discussion”