Classic car tax

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Yorkie

Classic car tax

Post by Yorkie »

It seems that the historic tax exemption has been rolled forward 2 years. All cars manufactured before Jan. 1st 1976 now qualify. All you have to do is take your V5 to a motor tax post office, marked Historic Vehicle in the change section and signed. Then fill in aV10 tax application form and any remaining tax for full months is refunded.
All sounds very simple, I will see in the next few days!!
Yorkie

Re: Classic car tax

Post by Yorkie »

Surprise surprise not is all as at first seemed, when I went to the post office yesterday they knew nothing about it. This is the reply from Swansea:
The taxation class Historic Vehicle applies to any vehicle constructed before 1st January 1974.

In addition, legislation was also introduced to exempt vehicles manufactured prior to 1 Jan 1975 from the payment of VED. This will come into force on 1 April 2015.

From 1 April 2015, the vehicle can be taxed in person at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

The following documentation will need to be submitted:

• V5C Registration Certificate or
• valid MOT Certificate

If you do not have a V5C Registration Certificate, you will still be able to obtain vehicle tax in person at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

The following documentation will need to be submitted:

• V62 Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate*
• V10 Application for vehicle tax
• valid MOT Certificate

*Please note that there is a £25 charge.

The keeper will need to write ‘Historic’ in the change to taxation class field in section 7 of the V5C and sign section 8.

An updated V5C will be returned within 4 weeks. If a V62 form is submitted a V5C will be returned within 6 weeks.

More information on the historic vehicles taxation class can be found on information leaflet INF34 Taxing Historic Vehicles.

Form V62 can be downloaded from http://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration- ... c-log-book" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or obtained from a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

Form V10 can be downloaded from https://www.gov.uk/car-tax-disc-vehicle ... g-form-v10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or obtained from a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

So the exemption has only rolled forward one year and nothing can be done till April 1st.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

This is the statement from this month's budget
Vehicle Excise Duty classic vehicle exemption –
As announced at Budget 2014, from 1 April 2016 a vehicle manufactured before 1 January 1976 will be exempt from paying VED. (Finance Bill 2015)
The rolling 40 year exemption was introduced in last year's budget. Each year on 1st April car manufactured before 1st January 40 years earlier become exempt.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
schumijoe
BIG RED CARD & 2 YELLOWS
BIG RED CARD & 2 YELLOWS

Post by schumijoe »

mne won' be tax free until 2017!!
Joe : :cry:
INTERCEPTOR 111 2240/1**4(the last 1976 saloon)
richard 541s

Post by richard 541s »

Just checked my v5 reg documents and my car was first registed on the 1st January 1976 and therefore built before,so does this make me tax free this year?
regards
richard
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Yes.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

richard 541s wrote:Just checked my v5 reg documents and my car was first registed on the 1st January 1976 and therefore built before,so does this make me tax free this year?
regards
richard
No.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

In the past, the agreement has been that what counted was when the car was built, not when it was registered (within reason). If conclusive proof (factory records) showed it was finished the year before, it was tax free. I understand that as New Year's Day is/was a public holiday, it was automatically assumed that it must have been built before this registration date. I think you have to apply after the start of April this year though. This is all open to interpretation.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Stephen is quite correct. But on April 1st this year the tax free status that will only apply to cars made before 1st January 1975, not 1976.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
taximan

Post by taximan »

They won't argue up to 7th January, beyond that you need to prove it.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Ah. So busy arguing the small details I missed the big one. :oops:
Stephen, Epping, Essex
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Taxed and changed my JH to historic today. Gave them the log book & the reminder and that was all they needed, the log book will be returned within four weeks they said. Had to be a main Post Office though.

Dave
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

a good feeling eh Dave!
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Hi Richie certainly is I felt robbed when fifteen years ago they cancelled the 25 year rolling tax exemption just as I was due it. Out to party now on my road tax money :lol:
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Success today at the third attempt, for some strange reason the post office couldn't do it before today.
I shall spend the money saved on petrol, approx. 500 smiles!

Return to “General Discussion”