Name that car

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Name that car

Post by Chris_R »

Keith wrote:
VFK44 wrote: As I have never seen it before I'm guessing it's one of those odd models that originated in a special market like South America.

You're going to wear out that Google key Stephen!
Using the aforementioned Google key reveals that Parobe, as written on the number plate, is a municipality in the state of Rio Grande do Sul, way down in the south of Brazil.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

My money was actually on Argentina, but at least the right continent! It was not a hard guess as it was not a mainstream European, US, or Japanese car, and there are few pats of the world that are as good at making "specials" that look like they are factory designed as South America. You get these wonderful mixups that were designed by Simca, marketed by Ford abut now have a Renault badge (or is it the other way around?). As for googling Parobe, that would assume my eyesight is up to reading the word - I thought it said RS Panobe, which sounds like a Restaurant Ship, not a place.

Se me another that can't be googled (not a one-off model)...
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

AH1951 wrote:Pedestrian Slicer.
x.jpg
a.jpg
That's the Leyat (or another propeller car).
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Leyat - Yes.
DKW - Yes.

http://www.focus.de/auto/news/ingolstad ... 54642.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

zx.jpg
zx.jpg (255.83 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
NormanP

Post by NormanP »

Well unless this is a trick question and it's a replica based on a Hindustan Amabassador or something... it's the famous and wonderful Checker cab of course (Checker Marathon, and they certainly did marathon miles). I am old enough to have been in one many times in NY when they were the standard issue cab... :D
Norman
Oxford
C-V8 MkIII #112/2393 8) undergoing restoration
541R #367 4319
JOC 10074
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Yes, and now defunct.
"The last of the Checker taxicabs went out of service in New York in 1999 - a New York City taxicab ordinance was passed in 1996 where livery vehicles must be replaced after 6 years of service."
Dion

Post by Dion »

AH1951 wrote:a New York City taxicab ordinance was passed in 1996 where livery vehicles must be replaced after 6 years of service."
I can never understand these stupid age-rules. If a car has had good maintenance, why is it not allowed after a few years?
Probably the true reason would be that there are environmental reasons - exhaust gases etc. If so, that should be the measure. If you can upgrade your old vehicle to comply to the rules, it should be allowed regardless of the age.

We have the same here in the Netherlands. Plans, or maybe it is already a rule in some of our big cities, are to allow only cars which are less than 15 years old. Why? I know of a fully electric MGBGT, why should that not be allowed?
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
wspohn4

Post by wspohn4 »

Duplicate
Last edited by wspohn4 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wspohn4

Post by wspohn4 »

On the Jamaican, I wanted the car to look like a real car rather than a kit car, so I chose to use wire wheels rather than mags and I had a friend scan the cam cover on one of my MGA Twin Cam engines to get the correct emblem, and then machine it on the GM upper plenum.

There were a lot of ill chosen things added to this car although it was basically sound. I tossed out everything except the chassis and body and started fresh.

Just for fun I parked it at an Italian car day (the members were familiar with me as I owned a Lamborghini Islero S) and they all thought it was Italian and were debating what sort of Abarth it might be.

https://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rho ... p48305.jpg
Keith

Post by Keith »

wspohn4 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:32 pm On the Jamaican, I wanted the car to look like a real car rather than a kit car,

Pretty car, Bill.

Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Not a 541R
Attachments
9FF2F804-92F5-449F-83FD-80D5D261BC9E.jpeg
9FF2F804-92F5-449F-83FD-80D5D261BC9E.jpeg (160.81 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
kees

Post by kees »

Riley RMA/E on a SJS (Smiths Jacking System) jack?
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

No. But indeed British.
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
Dion

Post by Dion »

Fact that the seat back it is hinged would lean towards a 2 door car. The door opening is pretty wide extending far behind the seat. The seat seems fairly simple/thin/narrow which would point to a cheap car. But that clashes with the extra carpet over the sill. My guess would be a Limousine with extra foldable seats in the rear. Something like a Daimler DS420 but maybe older. Armstrong Siddeley Limousine? Or a 50s Daimler Limousine?
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD

Return to “General Discussion”