Name That Car

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
mojo

Re: Name That Car

Post by mojo »

The front end does certainly look similar in style and proportions to a Sabre. It must have been quite difficult to accommodate a tall driver, because the top of the windscreen is really quite low - possibly something to do with the gullwing door mechanism, I guess.
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Looks a bit Fairthorpe to me? I don't see a bonnet line, so either the bonnet is narrow or does the whole front lift up - i.e. Herald based?

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
kees

Post by kees »

Way to sophisticated to be a Fairthorpe. It looks British late '50's/early '60's to me. At first I though the windscreen might be from a Cresta/Victor of the late 50's but the height is quite different.
Because of the "panorama" windscreen I very much doubt if it is Triumph Herald/Vitesse/Spitfire based.
It looks to be fairly well engineered although the styling of the headlights and rear fins is way of, even considering the period. Otherwise it is a very elegant design.
I wonder if we will ever know what car it is or who made it.
Kees Oudesluijs
Last edited by kees on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

Whilst I do not have the skills is it not possible to take the people out of the picture - the wrap round screen could be Vauxhall and would call for an inverted 1/4 light. Any way of getting Year or wheelbase as the front hinged bonnet definatly surgests Herald/Spitfire underpinings?

Regards

John
mojo

Post by mojo »

I doubt there would be much point - It's been debated for years, so if nobody has come up with a definitive answer in that time it probably means that it was a one-off prototype, possibly airbrushed to show a different tail end, that has not survived.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Someone somewhere, probably does know what it is. They just don't know it's being discussed on Internet Forums. If that person (or people) were aware, I'm sure someone would be able to identify it.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
mojo

Post by mojo »

Certainly, someone did know, but bearing in mind that photo was taken maybe 60 years ago, it's possible that all of those involved have shuffled off their mortal coils (if that's the correct version of the expression) and are no longer around to respond.
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

When this car was first discussed in November 2016 it was Barrie who introduced the topic and posted a photo without the people so someone has already photoshopped the image to show what they think the whole car looked like.
Mystery.jpeg
Mystery.jpeg (52.28 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
garyc

Post by garyc »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
it looked better with the people in front of it

GaryC
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

I am more inclined to think the verticle panel gap is the back of the one piece bonnet. Over 50 pages on ph about it and still no ldea. The perspective of the two ladies in front of it looks odd - was it taken by someone standing on a box?
I have a few of the observer book of cars from that time that I will flick through. The headlamp cowels keep on nagging me.
Rgds
John
mojo

Post by mojo »

Agreed - it seems unlikely that the gullwing door would be brought quite that far forward at the lower leading edge. The reference to a Sabre seems more relevant if you look at the back of the roof panel - it appears to still have a raised roof vent, exactly as some (or all, I don't know) Sabres did - though if it has gullwing doors it seems unlikely that the vent could actually still function - which is maybe why vents have been let into the roof side panels?.
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Sabre car
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (248.1 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

John Staddon wrote:When this car was first discussed in November 2016 it was Barrie who introduced the topic and posted a photo without the people so someone has already photoshopped the image to show what they think the whole car looked like.

John
Now if someone could photoshop the front so we could see the numberplate (like in absurd spy movies).
Any photoshop attempts are just conjecture
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Mystery Car#1.jpeg
Mystery Car#1.jpeg (98.04 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
The picture was taken sometime between 1/4/62 and 16/1/64.
Although the book it was printed in was published in January 1967 the caption on the image states "Buses in Oxford Street 1962" then from the clothing being worn by the people in the street we can probably date the picture to between April and say beginning of October of 1962. That completely rules out any make or model made after Autumn 1962.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
kees

Post by kees »

The wheels seem fairly large for the period and the bonnet is very low, vents at the rear: UK GRP body on VW-platform?
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977

Return to “General Discussion”