Tour De France Yorkshire 2014

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Mark Maniatt
Lord of the Pies
Lord of the Pies

Tour De France Yorkshire 2014

Post by Mark Maniatt »

Just got back from 2 days following the Worlds greatest sporting spectacular,the magical Tour De France in God's own County!.As an ex racing cyclist,I knew it would be big, but no one expected what has just happened over two days of incredible love and support and a great Yorkshire determination to make this an enormous success.The crowds in Leeds City centre were 10 deep and I have never seen this level of support in 45 years of watching this event.The good folk of Yorkshire seemed to have made up their collective minds to show the World that they can do everything the Continental fans can but on a whole different level.The population of Yorkshire is around 6 million.Its hard to imagine that estimates of 4 million people turned out over the 2 days !!!.
The film of this great county showed it for the beautiful and historic place we all know it is.Now one and a half billion people around the World have been let into our little secret.

A great weekend to be a proud Yorkshire man/woman (or adopted one in my case).
A once in a lifetime experience and one I will treasure for a long time,

Mark
Jazz and Jensens.There is a God
JOC Yorkshire Area Rep
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: Tour De France Yorkshire 2014

Post by VFK44 »

Coming past the end of my road in Epping tomorrow. I'll see if it is a great Monday to be a proud Essex man.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
SKW 4084

Post by SKW 4084 »

Let's hope it doesn't go the same way the Giro Ditalia went with clowns running next to racers up slow sections barracking the riders etc. But the way the first day went it didn't look promissing. Almost a single space for a rider on the hill climbs . Never been a racing cyclist but did BUPA round the bay 250km in 13hrs last year with 2hrs lost waiting for ferry and 45 mins on a ferry
Mark Maniatt
Lord of the Pies
Lord of the Pies

Post by Mark Maniatt »

Crowds on the hill's and mountain stages are all part of the grand T de F tradition as these are where the riders are going their slowest.That said,it does get a bit too crowded on occasion.The rider's don't generally mind provided they don't get blocked.You had to be there to understand the fascination!
JOC Yorkshire Area Rep
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Stood at the end of my road for 2 hours and the peloton (all but the 2 riders out front) passed in just 17 seconds! I was told that they were "taking it easy" as well. Great carnival atmosphere and interesting to see the advertising "caravan" vehicles pass by. Half the promotional vehicles were for French products I'd never heard of (Fromage Pissoir, Jambon Grand Derriere or so it appeared at first glance) and half from the other great 'foreign' region, Yorkshire! A wildly aimed promotional Yorkshire Tea tea-bag hurled from one vehicle ended up on the roof of the Ford garage opposite - if it starts leaking brown stains down the wall I'm holding you responsible for that one, Pieman!
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Mark Maniatt
Lord of the Pies
Lord of the Pies

Post by Mark Maniatt »

It only stains when brewed with other than good pure Yorkshire Watter:-))
JOC Yorkshire Area Rep

Return to “General Discussion”