The Healey Jensen Connection

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Nick Maltby

The Healey Jensen Connection

Post by Nick Maltby »

I am a new member to the forum and as an introduction I will re print the piece that I submitted with my application to join: -

"I had two spells as a Jensen Motors employee in 1959 - 1961 and 1964 - 1967. In the first period I was a junior draughtsman at the Carter's Green factory under the tutelage of Eric Neale and in the second period I was a chassis design draughtsman working under Kevin Beattie, at the Kelvin Way factory.

My greatest claim to fame is designing the front subframe and alloy front diff. carrier for the FF model.

Most (33 years) of my working life was spent with Peugeot U.K (Chrysler U.K. when I joined) and ended up as a marketing manager responsible for customer communications and sales promotion. In that capacity I instigated the 205GTi Owners Club, whose successor, the Peugeot Sport Club, still exists today.

Three years ago I started publishing an automotive based blog -
You might be particularly interested in these two posts -

http://twincam-serendipity.blogspot.co. ... s-and.html
This article was re produced in the Austin Healey Club of America's magazine, 'Marque', in April of last year.

http://twincam-serendipity.blogspot.co. ... -show.html

The reason for me deciding to join the Jensen forum is this -
Last year (2013) I unexpectedly found myself blogging about Jensen's involvement with the building and development of the Healey 100>.
It would not surprise me at all to find that this subject has been touched on before on this forum. It is a very interesting and sometimes controversial subject but one that is at the very heart of the Jensen Motors story. It could be argued that if it wasn't for the 'Healey contract' many of the Jensen models would not have been built. The story of the Healey/Jensen relationship (I write it this way so as not to confuse the Healey 100 story with the Jensen - Healey story which is totally different) has come into prominent focus, as far as I am concerned, with the establishment of an excellent Museum in the Netherlands dedicated to Donald Healey and the products which he created, mainly cars and boats.
I was struck by the fact that Jensen was not referred to in the Museum's portrayal of the Healey 100 and I started an, on going, discussion with a senior member of the Museum's staff. He and the owner have been most courteous in all their responses to me and it will be interesting to see what transpires from this contact.

All this Healey centric activity made me realise that I was giving a great deal of time to a car, the Austin Healey 100 to 3000, that was not on my list of 'favourites', all because I wanted the work that Jensen did on this car to be properly recognised. So, I thought that I should see what was happening on the 'pure' Jensen scene, that explains my presence on this forum, I hope :).
Jensen Motors draughtsman 1959 - 1961 and 1964 - 1967.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: The Healey Jensen Connection

Post by VFK44 »

Here's a couple of pictures Nick sent me, separated by around 50 years. (The current one is at the bottom...)
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Per

Post by Per »

Nick, thanks for taking the time to add to our knowledge. It is always interesting to get the first hand narratives. As you worked on the FF front subframe I have a couple of questions that have nagged me for many years.
1) The FF was designed with the front diff making it very difficult to build a LHD version without major redesign. was it an oversight or did a simple experimental layout develop into the production version due ti time or cost constraints knowing full well that LHD would be a challenge?
2) The dimensions of the FF chassis are very close to those of the 541S. Did you start with the 541S drawings or was it pure coincidence?

Per
Per
Not only English cars these days, an Italian is part of the stable again 8)
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

Hello Nick, your post was very interesting to read.

We, the Dutch Jensen club held our AGM 2013 in the austin healey museum and were also surprised to find that Jensen was mentioned nowhere. Only when discussing the 3000 prototype which was being restored the Jensen name was mentioned. However, on a positive note they were looking for a good Jensen Healey to add to the museum.
As chairman of our club I decided the AH people needed some éducation :roll: so I offered to write an article about the Jensen Healey for the Dutch Austin Healey club magazine . They accepted and the 5 page article with photo's was printed in their March 2013 issue. I did the Same for the Lotus club, who were indeed very keen to know more about the Lotus/ jensen connection.

Some time ago I suggested the AH club to do another article, this time about JML's involvement in the production and development of the AH, including the development of the AH4000 which sadly never was produced.
But now they seem to be very reluctant.... Somehow AH enthousiasts donot know anything about the bodies being produced by Jensen, let alone the fact that Jensen did a lot of development work on the cars. Odd, as Volvo P1800 people do seem to see this differently..

I look forward to more inside information of your time in JML. Thanks, Han
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

hi nick

very interesting reading, thank you! how great to have you on this forum.

do you have any recollection of the 541 model with V8 engines? that would have been late '58 early '59 on a 541 de luxe/R model (SEA770) and later on with various 541S (including of course healey's own car).

best regards, felix
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
kees

Post by kees »

Het Jensen Genootschap Holland had its annual meeting at the Healey Museum some time ago. It is only a small museum and not overly exiting.
They were at the time looking for a mint Jensen Healey for their exhibition. They did not realize that this is barely possible, there are no mint JH's around in the Netherlands. Also the JH's that are fit for the road are being driven by their owners, they would certainly not leave their car at an exhibition in a museum.
The Healey people are not really interested in the JH, although it is the by far better, but agreed not so nice looking, car.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Nick Maltby

Post by Nick Maltby »

Thank you all for your response to my first post.
I fully understand the thirst for knowledge about the early Jensens. I regret that I may not be able to satisfy that thirst in the detail that is required.
The reasons are because I was quite young when I worked for Jensen; when you are young you tend to concentrate on the 'job in hand', you are trying to be competent in what you are doing at the same time as being on a steep learning curve. That is why working at Jensen, in retrospect, was such a rewarding experience.
During my Carters Green stint I worked mainly on the Volvo P1800 and Tempo van/bus projects. Of course I was aware of the 541 being built, in fact I can still remember the pungent smell of the resin used to make the fibreglass bodies, it pervaded throughout the factory. But for me regarding the 541 was analogous to the proverbial small boy whose nose is pressed against the window of a sweet shop, peering in at the unattainable delights.
As you get older you find yourself saying "I wished I had asked this or that question at the time", not just about motor cars!

Regarding the FF - As most of you will know the first Jensen FF was based upon the CV-8. The FF's chassis frame was the same as the CV-8's up to the bulkhead. Nothing significant changed in this regard when the Touring/Vignale Interceptor body was adopted. I don't know but I am convinced that many JOC members do but it would not surprise me if it was the case that the CV-8 chassis frame could be traced back to the 541s especially the 541S.

Re a LHD FF - I do not know whether or not a LHD FF was ever contemplated, such a decision was way beyond my pay grade. The positioning of the front differential was dictated by the transfer box supplied by Harry Ferguson Research Ltd. It goes without saying that there would not have been a Jensen FF without the work done by Harry Ferguson, Tony Rolt and the team at HFR Ltd.
It would have been possible to build a LHD version and I would not be surprised to find that someone in the USA had actually made a conversion.

To the two gentlemen from The Netherlands, a special thank you for writing about the main thrust of my post, the Healey - Jensen relationship. I will email Han privately.
Regards,
Nick
Jensen Motors draughtsman 1959 - 1961 and 1964 - 1967.
ajm541s

Post by ajm541s »

LHD FF.
I believe there was a mock-up made but I was not aware of this when I was at the factory. Dick Graves told me that the idea had to be abandoned because the Ferguson unit would not rung upside down; as an asymmetrical unit this would mean a new unit and new chassis for an LHD car, the development costs of which were beyond company resources
I remember a rather 'heavy' evening in Crans Montana with some of the Swiss dealers during which many pencil drawings were made on a variety of serviettes proving that a chain link from the steering column across the engine bay bulkhead to a modified steering rack mounting would be a simple thing and, 'Voila!, we 'ave the problem solved!' .
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
kees

Post by kees »

Somewhere in the back of my fading memory I seem to have registered that this set up with a chain was actually built (who, where?).
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

The chain idea is mentioned in one of the old Jensen books, I think it was done within the factory, but can't remember if it's the John Tipler book or Keith Anderson.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jensen-Keith-An ... h+anderson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

The FF chassis is, in fact similar to the 541S from the bulkhead back. I will attach the original blueprints with the dimensions. The CV8's centre tube layout is too narrow for the transfer box. These are the job card numbers, production vehicle chassis numbers and experimental chassis numbers for Jensen Chrysler V8 powered vehicles from Jensen Motors archives obtained in the late 1980's

Factory Floor Job card numbers for Jensen prototype vehicles and dates. Jensen
production vehicle chassis number , Jensen Motors Experimental chassis number & UK Registration Number

=======================================================================================================
INT36 3464 Interceptor V8 FCP 770 LHD prototype fitted with Chrysler V8 and Manual Austin box
=======================================================================================================
INT49 Interceptor V8 prototype fitted with Chrysler V8 and Manual Austin box

541/220 Kept as spare
541/221 Kept as spare
541/222 3849 541R Chrysler V8 prototype, (Later fitted with an Austin engine and moss box)
SEA 770 Tested by Richard Jensen.

31/12/59, Job N0 6015 541 MK11 Production Prototype with Chrysler V8 . (Later amended to cover fitting Austin engine and moss box)
JM/EXP/100 541S 925 AEA

01/01/60Kevin Beattie hired by Jensen Motors as Deputy Chief Engineer
18/05/60 Job N0 6017 , 541 MK11 Production Prototype with Chrysler V8 Automatic (Later fitted with Austin engine and Rolls-Royce hydramatic box)
JM/EXP/101 541S Automatic 750 CEA
15/03/60 Job N0 6016 , 541 MK11 LHD Production Prototype with Chrysler V8 (Later amended to cover fitting Austin engine and moss box)
JM/EXP/102 541S LHD 979 COV
18/05/60 Job N0 6018, 541 MK11 Production Prototype with Chrysler V8 Automatic.
100/1122 541S Automatic Chassis kept as spare. (Possibly a test jig for the FF project....???)
========================================================================================================
01/08/60 ,541 CT Production Prototype with Chrysler V8 Automatic.
JM/EXP/103 CV8 Automatic 261 FEA (amended to FF specifications,various parts may have been re-built as JM/EXP/113)
========================================================================================================
01/08/60 , 541 CT Production Prototype with Chrysler V8 Automatic.
JM/EXP/104 CV8 LHD Automatic (106/2108) 558 LOB

COL CHRYSLER N0 61
100/1083 541S 862 EUY Has Chrysler plate but fitted with Austin engine and Rolls-Royce hydramatic box
100/1121 541S Automatic. 605 KUE Delivered engineless to Donald Healey who fitted a Chevrolet 327 V8.

JM/EXP/105 CV8 Mk 11 Manual (105/2147) 405 TEA
JM/EXP/106 CV8 Mk11 Automatic 789 HEA

JM/EXP/107 CV8 Mk11 LHD Automatic 701 KEA
JM/EXP/108 CV8 Convertible Automatic XYU 7

JM/EXP/109 CV8 Mk111 Manual CEA 381C
JM/EXP/110 CV8 FF Automatic EEA 72C
JM/EXP/111 Interceptor (P-66) Convertible Automatic
JM/EXP/112 Interceptor (P-66) hardtop Manual

104/2142 CV8 Mk 11 rebodied into Interceptor by Vignale BEA 693C
JM/EXP/113 FF Vignale Automatic (119/001) HEA 4D
JM/EXP/114 FF Vignale Automatic(119/002) JEA 4D & JM/EXP/109 engine
JM/EXP/115 Interceptor Vignale Automatic (115/2495) HEA 1D
JM/EXP/116 Interceptor Vignale Automatic (115/2496) JOV 402E

JM/EXP/117 Nova LHD Manual

JM/EXP/118 FF Mk11 Automatic VEA 484G
JM/EXP/119 Interceptor Mk11 Automatic VEA 483G
JM/EXP/120 Interceptor Mk11 LHD Automatic WEA 896H

JM/EXP/121 Interceptor 111 LHD Automatic (133/5551)
Last edited by Frankoid on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 70 times in total.
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

Wow, that is a very interesting list!

Which of these vehicles do still survive?
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

JM/EXP/107 CV8 Mk11 LHD survives and lives down the road from me!

Was converted back to RHD by Jensen Motors after Geneva Motor Show

(All my photos seem to have John Mk1 looking under the bonnet!)
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Drawing of the 541CT. This was to become the CV8

The Jensen 541S and Jensen FF maintenance charts showing respective almost identical chassis frames.
My datum pencil lines can be seen linking the same scale drawings.......I highlighted the Chassis frame green and the drivetrain pink. The peripheral tubes are the same length. The extra 4" of the FF wheelbase is gained by moving the sub frame, which the CV8 does not have, forward.

Jensen CV8 FF with 541S style peripheral chassis frame highlighted green

I think a lot of confusion lies in the fact that a Jensen Motors draughtsman erroneously marked the FF blueprint as "Interceptor Chassis Frame" and vise-versa!

The Interceptors centre tube layout is too narrow for the FF transfer box and front driveshaft

Last edited by Frankoid on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Donald Healeys log book for Jensen 541S 100/1121 605 KUE, fitted with a 360bhp 327ci Chevrolet V8 and Powerglide transmission

100/1121 outside Healeys Warwick Works,

Return to “General Discussion”