Jensen - Invicta connection

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Jensen - Invicta connection

Post by Chris_R »

In the "Lost and Found" Section of one of the February 2014 issue classic car magazines is a small item about an Invicta Black Prince drophead Coupe by Jensen. Very few Black Prince were made (my A - Z of Classic Cars states 25), the one mentioned was chassis 114 from 1949.
I hadn't heard mention of this connection before. Does anyone else know anything about it?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
AH1951

Re: Jensen - Invicta connection

Post by AH1951 »

I know nothing.
But I found this.
http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/INVICTA%201948.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Some nice Jensen pics too)
http://www.motorstown.com/news/1091-invicta-black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For building the body of the car were invited the Charlesworth company, though
after the bankruptcy the order was given to Airflow Streamlines and Jensen.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C377298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the early 2000s, the marque was resurrected yet again, producing the Invicta S1,
at the Invicta Car Company factory in Chippenham, Wiltshire,
England owned by Michael Bristow who acquired the brand in 1980.
In April 2012 the company filed for bankruptcy as a result of unpaid debts
and diminishing interest in expensive cars. The company changed its name to Westpoint Car Company
shortly before it was dissolved, ostensibly to save the Invicta brand being linked to another failure.
Last edited by AH1951 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
taximan

Post by taximan »

Jensen were the third company involved in building the bodies, the first went bankrupt.
Donald Healey raced Invicta cars.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Richard Calver's "All the models" tells the story. The JOC Regalia stocks them and they are a must for all Jensen enthusiasts.

An extremely complicated car, all of which have been modified these days.

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
soggykitkat

Post by soggykitkat »

As Shaun said, Donald Healey was one of their racing drivers. That was a link that I was trying to use to get a Wessex Area visit to the factory in Chippenham back in around 2008-2009. Another link is that I took over (for my business) the lease of Unit 9 Westpoint Business Park in April 2012 and am currently sitting in what was the sales office for Invicta cars. Invicta had Units 9 to 12.

Lewi
Interceptor Mk I
115/3484 No name yet

Interceptor MkIII
128/4813 'The ASBO' (it's Losty's really)
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

soggykitkat wrote:As Shaun said, Donald Healey was one of their racing drivers. That was a link that I was trying to use to get a Wessex Area visit to the factory in Chippenham back in around 2008-2009. Another link is that I took over (for my business) the lease of Unit 9 Westpoint Business Park in April 2012 and am currently sitting in what was the sales office for Invicta cars. Invicta had Units 9 to 12.

Lewi
Surely that would be the offices of the resurrected Invicta cars, not the original Invicta Cars?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Keith

Post by Keith »

Chris_R wrote:
soggykitkat wrote:As Shaun said, Donald Healey was one of their racing drivers. That was a link that I was trying to use to get a Wessex Area visit to the factory in Chippenham back in around 2008-2009. Another link is that I took over (for my business) the lease of Unit 9 Westpoint Business Park in April 2012 and am currently sitting in what was the sales office for Invicta cars. Invicta had Units 9 to 12.

Lewi
Surely that would be the offices of the resurrected Invicta cars, not the original Invicta Cars?
That's correct Chris.

Nothing to do with the original Invicta company that this thread is about.

The "new" company was based in Chippenham and started in the early 2000s. One of their engineers was a chap who was with us on the S-V8 project at Redditch and Speke. He left Jensen Motors about 1999/2000 and steadfastly refused to tell us where he was going. Even months later when he would visit and pick our brains he refused to say where he was employed.

It was only later I discovered he was on the Invicta project which (coincidentally!) used the same Ford 4.6 litre alloy V8. No wonder he didn't want to tell us!
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

I do second Mike Williams' comment - get Richard Calver's book "All the Models" !!

He knows all there is to know about Jensen and their connection with other manufacturers.
You will be surprised.
Moreover, the more books are sold the bigger the chance that Ric may publish yet another Jensen book for us to drool over :wink:
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
hmcnd

Post by hmcnd »

I have seen one of these in a local museum,,and it is very imposing !
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

taximan wrote:Jensen were the third company involved in building the bodies, the first went bankrupt.
Donald Healey raced Invicta cars.
Shaun.
Rallye Monte Carlo 1931 - Der Sieger von 1931, Donald Healey, f?hrt ohne Beifahrer in einem Invicta S (? Zwischengas Archiv)

The winner of 1931, donald healey, drives w/o co-driver in his invicta S:

Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

Great pictures Felix, but this is no Invicta Black Prince, which is what this topic was about :wink:
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
Keith

Post by Keith »

Han Kamp wrote:Great pictures Felix, but this is no Invicta Black Prince, which is what this topic was about :wink:
But definitely a Jensen connection with Donald Healey at the wheel?

:shock:
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Han Kamp wrote:Great pictures Felix, but this is no Invicta Black Prince, which is what this topic was about :wink:
that's true- sorry. I stumbled upon the second picture by accident and remembered this post. I was quite fascinated by the photo...
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Keith

Post by Keith »

And a great photo it is Felix. Thanks for sharing!
Per

Post by Per »

Low chassis S type, nick named "the flat iron".
Per
Not only English cars these days, an Italian is part of the stable again 8)

Return to “General Discussion”