Hi People

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
thmsshaun

Hi People

Post by thmsshaun »

Well just thought I would say hi.

Going to have a good browse through the site. Not got a Jensen but if one came along at the right money what ever that may be then I might consider an interceptor. Wouldnt be looking to do a silly amount of work on it though.

Still its in the early days so going to have a look around and see whats about.

I think I am just getting a thing for big V8 engines :D

Currentlt driving a Mercedes C43 AMG 4.3l V8.

What sort of MPG do you get from these vehicles?
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

more like gpm... :lol:
generally about 12ish. However, as I always argue - performance always costs. A small capacity high revving highly tuned unit will need constant attention and fettling - in the case of large unstressed engines such as Interceptor / CV8 engines, whilst they use a lot of fuel, they are generally extremely reliable units that need little more than oil changes each year. Whats more - teh performance is always there - just flex the big toe and you're away! Servicing the rest of the car is pretty straight forward too- Furthermore 'oily bits' availability is excellent. Go for it!
thmsshaun

Post by thmsshaun »

:D

Thats a bit more frightening than the Merc but still for a weekend toy would be acceptable.

I tend to see as low as 12 round town or if I put my lead lined right boot on but then as good as 30 on a long run.
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

my (383) motor needs a tune - on a long run (180 miles each way) such as when i go the the Goodwood festival of speed (excellent not to be missed event - conversly, personally i think the September Revival is a pile of pants) i achieved 17-18mpg at a relaxed 80ish all the way...traffic jams are however lethal!
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Hi thmsshaun,

I agree with Richie that you should regularly be able to get high teens from an early 383 Interceptor or CV8. If you have a 440, with air conditioning, drive in town a lot and put your foot down hard when not in traffic, then I can see 12 being realistic and have heard of people even claiming 10, but with a car nicely set up and used for weekend pootling through the country, 20 is possible, or was for me anyway.

I guess with limited mileage the insurance would be a lot less than your more modern 'C' class, and that should be more significant than fuel costs. Also bear in mind zero depreciation if maintained properly and free road tax on early cars, and Jensens suddenly seem cheap to run.

Gosh - did I really use of the words 'cheap' and 'Jensen' in the same sentence? Yes, although servicing can be expensive and frequent by modern standards, in many respects they are cheap.
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
thmsshaun

Post by thmsshaun »

No cheap does make sense though.

I am 25 and pay just shy of xxx£1k a year on the C43 using it as my daily car. Renewal is looking at around xxx£800.

An initial quote from Norwich Union classic insurance for the 7.2 Interceptor listed on here was xxx£165 on 1500 miles of xxx£265 on xxx£300. Then the benefit of no depreciation and no tax. Pick up a TD estate insurance xxx£400 max so saving xxx£200 by having an extra car.

Well that how I convinced myself down the pub last night.

Really need to have a drive of one though. There are a couple about I like the look of but are Portsmouth based.
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

try Lancaster insurance on line quote tool - you can play around and vary bits and bobs such as excesses and agreed vals. i was 28 when i bought my Jensen - now 31 and with a xxx£7k agreed val, garaged and 3,000 miles pay xxx£146 fully comp...Fuel aside the Jensen is generally not an expensive car to own and maintain. Thats gone and done it now though hasn't it - stand by for my car to throw a wobbly!
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Try RH Special Car Division on 01277 206911. Fully Comp xxx£120 5k miles with overseas insurance, recovery etc and theft cover on parts dismantled in the garage too! Worth keeping all the old useless spares and cataloging them. After my first years insurance had run out, I decided to try the brokers advertising in the JOC mag. None of them came close to RH, one was xxx£465 and the girl became very stroppy when I laughed at her. I hate Insurance Brokers, they make me so angry I could throw the phone down! :evil:
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Insurance.
It's a necessity.
We 'phoned 'Heritage' and they got us sorted for xxx£165. fully comp, two drivers, 1500 mls per year, and it didn't make difference if the car was garaged or not. a lot depends on the area you live in.

Don't really know the MPG, 12 to 18. depending on where we going and who's following and how much fuel is in the tank, if it's full, who care's let's open her up, if it's under a quater, then steady to the next garage,,, :cry:... then it starts all over again, what fun.... :lol:
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Patric

Post by Patric »

colin7673 wrote:Don't really know the MPG, 12 to 18. depending on where we going and who's following and how much fuel is in the tank, if it's full, who care's let's open her up, if it's under a quater, then steady to the next garage,,, :cry:... then it starts all over again, what fun.... :lol:
That's exactly how I feel about it: who cares? Otherwise we'd all be driving Toyotas!

To be honest in the beginning I thought 'well fuel consumption actually isn't that bad really'. Then I discovered the tank capacity was 92 instead of 72 litres...

Return to “General Discussion”