Tyre Urban Myths? or fact!

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
TimA

Tyre Urban Myths? or fact!

Post by TimA »

Hi

I hope the truly international and wideranging experience of the most wise members of this forum (flattery off) can assist with a topic raised today.

Does any country have an age limit for tyres in use?

In Germany is is true you cannot repair punctured tyres?

Also in Germany is it true that if you replace one tyre on an axle , you must also replace the other?

Has the requirement that only a make size ect of tyre specified in the vehicles type approval can be fitted to a car?

If any of our members across the channel or further afield for that matter know I would be obliged for the information.

Thanks

Tim
JOC 9164

541/R/3714319
Steve Prince

Re: Tyre Urban Myths? or fact!

Post by Steve Prince »

So what is your specific application? Clearly you have one in mind.
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Tim

As far as I know that's not the case in the UK. However, now that date marks are now on tyres, my local garage believes that in the not to distant future, those they 'know best' will start legislating that part of the MoT will be no tyres over 7 / 10 years.

I presume that's what you had in mind :D

Steve
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

TimA wrote:Hi

I hope the truly international and wideranging experience of the most wise members of this forum (flattery off) can assist with a topic raised today.

Also in Germany is it true that if you replace one tyre on an axle , you must also replace the other?

Has the requirement that only a make size ect of tyre specified in the vehicles type approval can be fitted to a car?

If any of our members across the channel or further afield for that matter know I would be obliged for the information.

Thanks

Tim
Hi Tim,

I can give you the following answers

In Germany you can repair low speed indexed tyres only, tyres that are indexed over 200 KMH must be discarded if damaged.

In Germany you do not have to buy 2 new tyres if one is damaged, but you cannot mix your tyres on the axles, i.e you cant have Goodyear and Conti on the same axle, the tyres must be exactly the same in all measurements and speed index.

It used to be like that, for eg on my old Lancia Thema I could only put on 195/15 Tyres from Pirelli on, if I put ones from Goodyear on then I would loose my insurance, things have now changed so that you dont have type/make specific listings but you still cant put any tyre on a car it still has to have the measurements that are listed in the docs, my Grand Espace can for example take 16,17,18 or 19 inch tyres starting at 215/60 and going up to 245/45, but they all have to be indexed for high speed (over 210KMH).

It is not always due to speed when getting the tyres sorted but about load carrying and the forces excerted on the tyre when braking.

Then we also have Winter Tyres which is a whole lot more complicated, as to Tyres and age over here there is no legal limit just that they have to have the correct amount of tread and not be porous, having said that it is not advisable to buy tyres that are over 6 years old,some say 3, you can always tell how old a tyre is by looking at the DOT on the tyre wall (side).

hope this helps.
We Sustain

I don't have many friends, but the ones I do have are scared of me.
Steve Prince

Post by Steve Prince »

TimA wrote:Hi

Thanks

Tim
Again, why ask this?
DaveAK

Post by DaveAK »

Steve Prince wrote:Again, why ask this?
Sounds to me like it was a discussion being held over a few pints down the local, rather than a requirement Tim had for tyres. But of course I could be wrong, and usually I am. :)
72 MkIII Interceptor 133/5613 (440)
71 MkIII Interceptor 133/5546 (383)
55 Nash Metropolitan
JOC Member 9777
Steve Prince

Post by Steve Prince »

DaveAK wrote:
Steve Prince wrote:Again, why ask this?
Sounds to me like it was a discussion being held over a few pints down the local, rather than a requirement Tim had for tyres. But of course I could be wrong, and usually I am. :)
Some tyre sizes are extremely rare and I would have no hesitation fitting 40+ years old tyres, (if still wrapped), to some cars I have worked with.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Estonia:

10 years, in reality nobody checks

you cannot repair punctured tyres?

No, you can

I guess, it`s everywhere?

Offcourse not, otherwise you cant change different rims?

Just for information - winter tires (or M+S) must have since 1.12 till 01.03. Same in Scandinavia.

Tim[/quote]
Love classic cars!
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

Hi Denis,

of course you can repair tyres, its just not allowed to use them over here in Germany if the speed index is over 210KMH

As to the Rims, over here in Germany each rim has to be KBA certifeid and tested by the TüV/MOT etc and then entered in the docs of the cars if it is not a standard size, this is a costly and time consuming job, (as is almost everything over here concerning non-standard parts for cars).

So no you cant just go to the shop and put a set of fancy rims on your car they have to have the legal requirements , if you dont do that your insurance becomes invalid and your car is either impounded or it has the TüV sign scratched off by the police, and believe you me the police over here do look physicaly look at number plates to see if the car has insurance or an MOT and they will stop you anywhere and have the car taken off the road if something is not right.
We Sustain

Per

Post by Per »

Here you can repair simple holes in the thread but damaged sidewall means scrap. Speed rating for summer tyres must be above the manufacturer's rated max speed of the vehicle. No such rule for winter tyres. Load index must be adhered to for all tyres.
Per
Not only English cars these days, an Italian is part of the stable again 8)
Denis

Post by Denis »

Damaged sidewall is impossible to repair, I guess? The speed rating issue is interesting, as the less rated tires have less weight, so, actually if you not gonna exceed the permitted speed they are better. With the 90 km/h speed limit (110 km/h permitted on the motorways in the summer monthes) the speed rating is not the problem.

As I remember, only Germany have no speed limit in the Europe.

Much bigger issue is the nailed tires - being banned in the most of Europe it`s still widely used in the Northern Europe, with the extremely high damage to the enviroment and the roads. 1 day of the driving with nailed tires create turns appr. 500 kg of asphalt to dust.
Love classic cars!
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

Studded tyres, I remeber them well from when I used o work for a Finnish company in Tampere.

I ws picked up at Tampere Airport in the middle of what I would call a bizzard but to the Finns it was a slight flurry by a Taxidriver called Jouni who turned out to be not only the evil twin of Hannu Mikkalla but also crazy as well, he drove me from the airport in a Cirtoen XM V6 Estate all the way into the town centre in record time, slipping and sliding, fishtailing and grinning at me for the whole journey telleing me that the roads aew necer cleared in Tampere because drivers complain about not having fun on the roads and the studs on the tyres waering out too quickly, it really was terrifying and cold, I have never known cold like it before, Norway was cold but compared to Finnland it was sub tropical, it was so cold in Tampere, -50C that you could throw boiling water into the air and it would turn into instant icecrystals and not only that, 3 hours of daylight a day was definately not enough for this mothers son.
We Sustain

Per

Post by Per »

Denis wrote:Damaged sidewall is impossible to repair, I guess? The speed rating issue is interesting, as the less rated tires have less weight, so, actually if you not gonna exceed the permitted speed they are better. With the 90 km/h speed limit (110 km/h permitted on the motorways in the summer monthes) the speed rating is not the problem.

As I remember, only Germany have no speed limit in the Europe.

Much bigger issue is the nailed tires - being banned in the most of Europe it`s still widely used in the Northern Europe, with the extremely high damage to the enviroment and the roads. 1 day of the driving with nailed tires create turns appr. 500 kg of asphalt to dust.
The majority use studless in and around Oslo. But even so it is interesting that fresh research pretty much exhonerates passenger cars regarding the severe wear on roads during winter. Heavy trucks are the big culprit and they do not use studs.
Per
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ff053 wrote:Speed rating for summer tyres must be above the manufacturer's rated max speed of the vehicle. No such rule for winter tyres. Load index must be adhered to for all tyres.
Everyone seams to say this about speed ratings, but I can't find it anywhere.

when I read the legislation it appears to me to say 70mph, or am I misunderstanding this or even reading the wrong bit.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986 ... on/25/made" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mick

Interceptor III 136/9103

Just as I was getting my head together my body falls aparts
Per

Post by Per »

I was referring to Norwegian legislation which may have been altered to suit some EU regulative.
Per

Return to “General Discussion”