Lightweight Interceptor - is this truth?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
RAP72
V8 Lover

Re: Lightweight Interceptor - is this truth?

Post by RAP72 »

Mike

Non taken, :lol: . I don't have the knowledge or expertise to comment on anyone's pride and joy. At a recent meeting we were discussing insurance values and Derek Chapman said my car was way undervalued. He valued mine at 2 1/2 times what i have it insured for. It appears that I have no idea really what my car is worth so I would never feel comfortable, or knowledgable enough, to comment on other owners cars.

All I can do is put others information given, or found, into the website and let others look ( and make their own judgement). I am sure that had I started to comment on the cars I had found as for sale then some of the dealers, and many of the owners, would not have been so forthcoming. In the fullness of time the sales history and new owners comments should become the real history of the car and the marque.

In this case the diatribe attached to this rare and unique lightweight model should speak for itself.

Now if anyone wishes to take over this site, so I can start another, feel free to volunteer. Then I can do one for the FF or 541s.
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

We have been here before.
The L.w 383 six-pack JP@S car still lives & was raced.
The arc has pictures racing early '80's.
Also the J-H racer that had factory sponsorship & mods.
The US car wasn't alone.
So 541-comp history.
CV-8-comp history.
Interceptor-comp history (not when new-not alone)
Interceptor 11-comp history (as above)
Jensen-Healey 1 & 11- almost continuous comp hist from new.

And they say 'if only'!
Rotor-G

Post by Rotor-G »

The engine was last rebuilt by SD Racing, who have a lot experience with these engines.

see http://www.shedevilracing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Geoff
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

The question I have is does it have a sanctioned race series log book with races entered. All race cars start from factory cars if they are deviants of a Factory Built Car. RacerJoe
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Joe Schiavone wrote:The question I have is does it have a sanctioned race series log book with races entered. All race cars start from factory cars if they are deviants of a Factory Built Car. RacerJoe
its a nothing car, yes an original manual car thats it nothing special from the factory at all, has just been heavily modified in later life, and much crap hype to,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

I respectively disagree with Cannonball because I worked with a Pontiac Dealership where the owner ordered a lightweight GTO and raced hard where the trophy’s lined the the show room. I go back to the Sancioned Race Organization Logbook is the key here in the states. One of the key things as far as a truley original racecar is the modifications being correct verses the upgrades to a more modern type. I do agree with Cannonball that this car could have been a strip down model that was never built for racing then at a later date was slowly built up to be something that never was but built to satisfy a urge to own something that never was. The key is is the racing Logbook. Here in the states we have a vintage Sports Car racing Association. In order to race your vintage sports car First you need a Logbook. I know this because I own the only Two Miatas built by Rod Millon built to race in the SCCA World Challange distance series. 6-24 hour races I also was part of a restoration of a 550 Porsche that had a race Logbook and a 1959 Indy Car built and raced from 59 till 64. All Logbook documented by the Logbook entries. RacerJoe
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Joe Schiavone wrote:I do agree with Cannonball that this car could have been a strip down model that was never built for racing ...
Quite agree Joe. Maybe I am being pedantic, but there is no COULD about it. It WAS a perfectly standard production car for the first c20 years of its life.

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
Julian

Post by Julian »

One of Mr Calvers books documents each and every chassis Joe. None record a lightweight racer ex factory.

Someone/s played around later and not (in my opinion) in a good way :)
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Julian wrote:One of Mr Calvers books documents each and every chassis Joe. None record a lightweight racer ex factory.

Someone/s played around later and not (in my opinion) in a good way :)
its a pile of crap
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

I have never heard of someone ordering a car high end with no insulation and vinyl on a luxury car along with manual transmission. These changes would indicate to someone who raced that the intent was there but the owner fell short from completing their dream when they took delivery. Here in the states the car from would be considered a Copa car. A special order car with certain items deleated or added but not the norm. I had a buddy who bought a 67 Pontiac 455 3 speed on the floor painted a 57 Chevy green color. One quart of color left in the trunk. At the Pontiac Dealership :evil: we had a service man with a 72 Lemans Station wagon with a GTO front end from the factory Copa cars are very rare and desirable. I can not imagine driving an Interceptor with no insulation from heat as an everyday driver with no a/c and no power steering. Who knows for sure. RacerJoe
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Joe, it never happened. Jensen never did this. It is something that someone has done long after the car was made by Jensen. The story is a load of bull. Period.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

Joe Schiavone wrote:I have never heard of someone ordering a car high end with no insulation and vinyl on a luxury car along with manual transmission. These changes would indicate to someone who raced that the intent was there but the owner fell short from completing their dream when they took delivery. Here in the states the car from would be considered a Copa car. A special order car with certain items deleated or added but not the norm. I had a buddy who bought a 67 Pontiac 455 3 speed on the floor painted a 57 Chevy green color. One quart of color left in the trunk. At the Pontiac Dealership :evil: we had a service man with a 72 Lemans Station wagon with a GTO front end from the factory Copa cars are very rare and desirable. I can not imagine driving an Interceptor with no insulation from heat as an everyday driver with no a/c and no power steering. Who knows for sure. RacerJoe

Blimey Joe are you winding us up ????? or do you not read the replies ??? this was a bog standard interceptor with 383 and a833 manual transmission, nothing special done to this car at the factory when built,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Guys

Try watching this till the end , can’t wait to see the replies..

John P

https://youtu.be/sQShBQJtgLM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Pymmie wrote:Guys

John P

Tried. Stopped after 10 minutes to do something else; saw there was another half hour of the same to come; didn't bother; got on with life.
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

JamesE wrote:
Pymmie wrote:Guys

John P

Tried. Stopped after 10 minutes to do something else; saw there was another half hour of the same to come; didn't bother; got on with life.
Clicked through to other vids; building bunker and stockpiling food.

Return to “General Discussion”