Grommets

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Grommets

Post by MikeWilliams »

I need some grommets to go through the firewall of my 1938 Jensen, which is plywood faced with alloy both sides, totalling 1/4in thick. I have found one supplier in USA and one in UK (grommets.co.uk), but both have unrealistic minimum quantities - hundreds of each size! Does anyone know of a supplier please?

There are lots of places which sell normal grommets, but these must be for 1/4in thick material.

Mike
(Old Cars Registrar - JOC)
Alan Smith1

Post by Alan Smith1 »

Hello Mike,
I have had this problem and got over it by cutting a normal one in half and sticking the halves into both sides of the hole. As the protection is needed on edges this, I think, would be OK
Cheerio for now, Alan.
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Grommets

Post by MikeWilliams »

Thanks Alan, I am sure you are correct, but if the proper thing is available I'll try to get hold of them first. Good plan 'B' though! Thanks.

Mike
Davenewby

Post by Davenewby »

Hi Mike,
What size grommets do you need? I bought some at an autojumble a while ago that are 1/4 inch deep. I have 2 that are approx 3/4 inside diameter and 1 that is 1 1/4 inside diameter if they are of any use to you.
Come back to me if they will help.
Regards,
Dave Newby :D
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Dave,

I am looking for at least two 1/4 i.d. for bowden cables, one 5/8in i.d. for speedo cable and one 1in i.d for the loom. . . . but any would helo, so yes please!

I am just amazed that they are not available over the counter somewhere.

Mike
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Dave,

Thanks very much for grommets sent - don't have your own e-mail address to hand here at work.

Does anyone live near Brighton and feel able to help please? There is a company called "Grommets Ltd" (that's original), at Unit 2, Hollands Lane Industrial Estate, Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9QY 01273 494400

They have the remainder of the types I need, but have a huge minimum order for postal sales. BUT they have no minimum order for over the counter sales, so does anone live nearby - please? If so please drop me a note off-list.

Thanks,

Mike

Return to “General Discussion”