White Interceptor/FF's

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
SimonJ

White Interceptor/FF's

Post by SimonJ »

Why are white Interceptor/FF's less desirable than all other colours? or so it seems to a first time buyer!
interjen

Post by interjen »

Hello Simonj, ARE white Interceptors and FFs less desirable? Isn't personal preference taking over here?

Simon Holloway
Lincs and S Humberside area group.
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
1922 Aveling and Porter Steam Roller (Sally)
GPZ900R
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

Hi Simon - that's what I am trying to find out! Personally I have no preference - yet! Perhaps the question to ask is how many owners have had their cars re-sprayed white?
drdave490
V8 Lover

Post by drdave490 »

Mk 1 Interceptor 115/3297, currently registered WLK 917G, and now owned by Peter Male in Stourbridge, used to be Stratosphere Blue. About 12-15 years ago, it was painted Ford Diamond white with twin blue 'American racing' style stripes.

I bought the car in about 1998 from a guy called Dave Fisher, who did this work, and his comment was that as he and his brother had replaced all the wheel arches, painting the car white helped cover the slightly iffy fit of the panels! I eventually puffed some white primer over the stripes on the bonnet and tailgate area, but left the ones on the roof. Then I sold the car to Peter, and it can apparently still be seen around the West Midlands in this unusual 'striped roof' colour scheme.

I've subsequently discovered some archive pics of the car in Stratosphere Blue, and it was a bit ropey then. The work done to the car obviously ensured its continued survival.

Dave Richards
Classic & Sports Car
Johnfromholland

Post by Johnfromholland »

One of my neighbours ordered a new Volkswagen Passat via a leasecompagnie, in the colour white.
Two weeks later the leasecompagnie gave him a call and offer to change the colour to (for free) AND gave him a refund of xxx‚¬ 700,-
Leasecompagnies don't like white cars, my neighbour neither, but he knew the trick..... smart guy 8) In about two months he will have a brand new metalic blue car deliverred.
1chw

Post by 1chw »

It is interesting that even the boys in blue don't like their cars in white anymore. I have read somewhere that they have found they get much better resale value (and possibly cheaper initial cost?) with silver - which is why you now see a lot of silver police cars covered in hi-vi vinyls.

On the other hand, both my parents (who are generally concidered by all who know them to have very good taste) have always preferred white cars and bought several white cars new, including (in my fathers case) two Jensens interceptors :!: (he had some money then!) Before you ask, he told me he threw out all his records for these some time ago :( .
Charles Wheaton,
Interceptor Mk III, '73
136/8512
Peter Rothery

white interceptor/FF

Post by Peter Rothery »

A dealer once told me that he didn't like white Jensens because after they have been out in the rain they show up the rust streaks on the A posts (from the door hinges and check straps) amongst various other places!!

On the other hand a light colour will mask ripples in panels far better than a dark colour.
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

With Colours I guess it goes in trends, as Charles says, even police cars aren’t White any more!!
In Cambridgeshire they are silver or even black, thus echoing the market ( even the police need to sell them after they have finished with them )"¦

At the time of production Crystal Blue was the most popular colour for FF’s followed by White then mist grey
With the Interceptor 1 white was the 4th most popular colour with Crystal Blue being number 1 again..
With MK II’s a nd IIIs its still 5th & 4h most popular respectively

However cars in white often get repainted in silver / blue combinations these days
Thus making white cars SEEM less sellable,

However that White FF that didn’t sell on Ebay looked great in white..

I think Ginger Bakers MK 1 FF looked fab in white!!! Although he did respray it silver later on in its life!!
1968 Interceptor Mk 1 115/3012
1971 FF MK 2 127/284
Ole H Sanne

Post by Ole H Sanne »

I am now speaking of peronal taste, but i think Intercptors, especially Conv looks less posh in white.
As well i think Jensen had some awefull color combi's, thinking of the appel greens etc...

anyway, i have showed some friends here in singapore and melbourne pictures of how my Jensen Convertible back home in Norway looks like and they all say nice car, but white doesnt suit it at all.

refering to the white one in the snow in the book.
Best
Ole
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Simon,
As an owner of a white Interceptor (with a black vinyl roof) I would say that they are more labour intensive as they show up every little mark much more than other colours. Most trips out start with a wash and dry or at least a going over with a chamois, however if you're prepared for that extra input the reward is that they do look very stylish and you can always start up a sideline in weddings!
If you're considering buying a white one pay even more attention than ever to the condition of the bodywork as rust on a white car looks horrendous.
The Polar Bear is feeling a bit persecuted by this posting and I'm thinking of starting a splinter group, "The White Jensens Owners Club".
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

....which reminds me of that old chestnut, "Why don't polar bears eat penguins?"
Job lot of Christmas crackers anyone?
Peter Burton
V8 Lover

white interceptor/ff

Post by Peter Burton »

Hi all,
Before I grew up and went in for proper V8s I restored a couple of Rover P6 V8s. One was white with black leathercloth roof and the other one of the last specially made 44 in metallic grey with brown leathercloth roof (the only metallic P6 ever produced and, boy was it a smart looker).
Now; when at any rally with both cars side by side the white car always produced a pleased reaction, but the metallic car was usually ignored.
So you pays your money and takes your choice.
All the best, Peter.
ps. My Inti is dark metallic green and Joe Public love the colour, but wouldn't own a green car themselves. Personally I say if you like the colour - buy the car, but maybe not a brown 'un, until it's back in fashion again.
Peter Burton
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Dave C wrote:....which reminds me of that old chestnut, "Why don't polar bears eat penguins?"
Because they can't get the wrappers off!

Cheers, Martin. :lol: :lol:
Timterceptor

Post by Timterceptor »

I read somewhere that all polar bears are left handed, maybe this explains their problems unwrapping those pesky penguins???
Tim Mealing
Interceptor III: 136/8060
JOC Member 8793

Return to “General Discussion”