For idiots only.

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
DaveT
JOC 541 Registrar

Re: For idiots only.

Post by DaveT »

As registrars, we are always very pleased to see an old unloved 541 wreck being put back on the road in greatly improved condition. Well done Derek.

Dave and Jane
Dave Turnage
Colchester

JOC 8674
JOC 541 Registrar
541S, 100/1061
541R, 6002/387 (now in lots of pieces!)
Alvis speed 25 DHC
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

Derek,

I didn't intent to devalue your work nor your car. I know how much work it is to bring back a car to such a standard. I have a C-V8 in my workshop and am doing the same thing.

Last week I got a Mercedes 500 SL, completely nut and bolt restored, the best car I ever had for sale. Nearly EVERYTHING was done, restored, changed on this one (except the leather and the chrome as they were nearly perfect) and you think you're in a brand new car.

https://jensjansen.com/?page_id=3007

Therefore I can not describe it as "original". Cars are repainted, have accidents, broken gearboxes or engines etc. They can't be "original" any more. But that is, what these guys are trying to sell. I will never use that term when advertising cars but will of course explain what has been done and that it is close to original specification and where it differs from that.

Once again, no offense to restorers, just to these marketing and sales people.
In order of appearance:

C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035

(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

felixkk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:05 am
There's a tradition in Japan of rebuilding temples every 20 or so years, interesting concept:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ise-grand-shrine
That's like our old broom, it is 75 years old.

It only had 8 handles changed and 15 brushes over time ...
In order of appearance:

C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035

(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Jens wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:21 am
felixkk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:05 am
There's a tradition in Japan of rebuilding temples every 20 or so years, interesting concept:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ise-grand-shrine
That's like our old broom, it is 75 years old.

It only had 8 handles changed and 15 brushes over time ...
No, they build an exact replica of the broom next to the original one, and then destroy the original one. A different approach to preservation than we have here, but they preserve the soul of the broom without preserving the actual materials.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

An important reason for the twenty year gap is so that the same workers may get the opportunity to work on it three times: once as a callow trainee, again in their 40s when at their prime as builders, and lastly when a wise old man who's seem the process twice before.
Some people might have had similar experiences trying to get a good chrome plating job.
"The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Ah, Stephen. We still had a very good plater here. However due to the toxic nature of chroming he lost his balance and fell into the tank according to his missus. I believe he now works for Marvel Films Ltd and doing well. You would never recognise him apparently. Kenny38
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

He still makes occasional public appearances.
Fantastic-Four-Rise-of-the-Silver-Surfer-681x1024.jpg
Fantastic-Four-Rise-of-the-Silver-Surfer-681x1024.jpg (160.47 KiB) Viewed 365 times
"The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Stephen, nice try but but the new look plater has blue eyes and bigger feet. He is is currently living in the UK and advising Boris on "casting more light" etc. Some readers here may have seen him attending our club committee meetings. He is apparently a close friend now of Chris (I forget number) and has purchased a Hull to Scunthorpe rail season ticket so as to remain one of the people and have an interesting time. Where's Martin R when we need him? kenny38
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Martin R is in Southern California where it never rains.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

There will major floods now that you have said that, Chris. There is a rumour you have won a first div in the pools. Is this correct as I still have some places available in my 25% return office building (nothing over twenty stories) fund based in the Solomon Islands and backed by the entire cabinet. Kenny38
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

I have always wondered at the ability of many members in seeing strange, weird, scarce etc cars in the most boring places. What is it that compells members to enthuse over probably some worthless piece of crap as if a new grandchild? Members respond with enthusiastic written grunts of approval encouraging others to wander up and down the car park at Tesco armed with a camera hoping to find some failed relic to comment on with posted squeals of delight. The same people ,I think, worship at the site of tarps covering rusted out Jensen's. They see beauty. Ah! if only we could see what they see. What a colourful and joyous world we would live in. Kenny38
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Kenny, your views on barn find and tarp dwelling cars are frequently said. Should all cars stored in barns and under tarps be scrapped? If so what about this collection of Delahaye, Hispano-Suiza, Talbot-Lagos and Hotchkiss-Grégoires? Some of them very rare indeed.
French find #1.png
French find #1.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 217 times
French find #2.png
French find #2.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 217 times
French find #3.png
French find #3.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 217 times
French find #4.png
French find #4.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 217 times
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

some worthless piece of crap
someone's gotten off on the wrong foot today...
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
RogerBrotton

Post by RogerBrotton »

Kenny.....If you cannot appreciate the sheer beauty of these 'survivors' ; or the fact that some people with either the talent or money, or both, have the will and patience to restore them to factory fresh....then where is your soul ?
Stick to whatever you do best, mate, but don't decry others willing to save these old-timers for posterity.
Same goes for old Jensens.......or hadn't you noticed ?
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Hi,Chris. The grave yards are full of previous treasures. Sometimes the memories are debatebly reasonable but let them be. Time has passed for these relics and are only now fit for old men remembering the struggles of middle age and now regrets. All these vehicles like ourselves were once proudly driven by life and great expectations but ended up in a home with other old ones awaiting the crusher. My dogs killed another child's rabbit today. Pity, it was rather an exotic one .Kenny38

Return to “General Discussion”