Interceptor mk111 series 4. Confused on updates

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
bashford1

Interceptor mk111 series 4. Confused on updates

Post by bashford1 »

Hi,
I’m still looking to buy the right interceptor for me, but now confused on models. It appeared the interceptor Mk111 series 4 was introduced in October 1973 but there seems to be lots of 1974 Mk111’s that do not have the series 4 updates.(Different doors, bonnet, sealed rear quarter lights, even an updated engine (don’t know how you can tell that?) and front spoiler?(not sure about the latter). How does this work. Any help appreciated thanks anyone?
Signed confused Brett Ashford
Thank You Brett
1974 MK 3 Interceptor ‪2240/9844 ‬
https://youtu.be/6tIHdaRxdHU
zacmarshall

Re: Interceptor mk111 series 4. Confused on updates

Post by zacmarshall »

Hi Brett

Sounds like you are getting confused between an Interceptor 3 series 4 (i.e. mark 3 with a series 4 engine) and a 80s / 90s Interceptor Series 4, which were the Interceptors built by Jensen Parts and Service / Jensen Car Company.

Have a look at the article on the club website by Mike Billmore
https://joc.org.uk/jensen-models/the-je ... terceptor/
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
schumijoe
BIG RED CARD & 2 YELLOWS
BIG RED CARD & 2 YELLOWS

Post by schumijoe »

don't forget the interceptor mk111 series 5 with the series 5 engine very much later(I have one) but some of the very last models had these engines. Richard Calver has all the info
Joe
INTERCEPTOR 111 2240/1**4(the last 1976 saloon)
bashford1

Post by bashford1 »

Hi Zac,
We used to see each other at that pub in alcester at the regular car meet when I had my FF. what are you driving now?
I am actually thinking of the final mk111’s which were loosely referred to as a MK111 series 4. But I can’t find much about them.
Im looking at a late sept 1974 mk111 tomorrow LPN 63N which has some of those attributes.
I’ve found some older info on the car on the net and on this site but it’s appearing that it’s a slightly upgraded Mk111 with Louvred bonnet.
Nice to hear from you and missed you at the recent NEC car show
Brett
Thank You Brett
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

https://www.classicfixers.co.uk/bodywork

Brett - On the assumption that you meant LPB 63N, see workshop projects video at the bottom of the web page. You may have seen this already as part of your investigation!
bashford1

Post by bashford1 »

Hi,
I did indeed mean LPB 63N. I didn’t find that video but I think it would have been the one showing it’s restoration for great escape cars. Thanks but I had seen that one.
I put a question on the “cars for sale” section as it seemed a more appropriate place to ask about this particular car and any recent knowledge of it since leaving the hands of great escape cars.
Still not sure of the changes made and when that marked a series 4 mk111. Interesting that there appears yet another small upgrade of the Mk111 in the form of the series 5
Thanks Brett
Thank You Brett
Grant

Post by Grant »

I've certainly never heard of a "Series 5"model, I don't think there is such a thing is there?Image
After the Series 3, there was Series 3 with Series 4 upgrades and I believe you could choose whatever spec you chose, whether you wanted the Later 5.9 Engine in your fitment or not, but Series 4 dash etc was the most noticeable Series 4 upgrade that you would notice...Then the actual Series 4 cars had different exterior door handles, front Spoiler, Recaro Seats, a 5.9 Engine and some other upgrades too, as far as I know there was only 1 RHD Series 4 Interceptor built that Tim Sp on here owns.Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
bashford1

Post by bashford1 »

Hi well I’m not sure how to respond because I bought the car. And less than advertised too. Body and interior in my opinion very good. Clunky diff (not UJ’s) engine and auto box seem ok but I won’t really know for a while.air con obviously doesn’t work. There’s some funny stuff going on in the engine bay and the PO seemed to love gaffa tape and fibreglass loft insulation.
Thank you all for the help. I will put my limited inspection on you tube in due course for a laugh.
Thanks again
Brett.
Thank You Brett
bashford1

Post by bashford1 »

Hi Grant,
Richard Carver wrote about a Mk111 series 4 and 5 so I’m not sure. Here is the Link. I have louvred bonnet and electric mirrors but not the wooden dash but who knows

https://www.richardcalver.com/article_intser4.htm

Thanks Brett.
Thank You Brett
Grant

Post by Grant »

bashford1 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:09 pm Hi Grant,
Richard Carver wrote about a Mk111 series 4 and 5 so I’m not sure. Here is the Link. https://www.richardcalver.com/article_intser4.htm
Thanks Brett.
Thanks Brett, interesting readImage, but I am still none the wiser reallyImage, because as I read it it seems that the Mk3 with Series 4 upgrades Richard is referring to them as Series 4 and then the Series 5 must have been the ones that JP&S were making and yet have always been referred to as Series 4, and I thought they had badges on to say that, but maybe they haven'tImage, so for Me "Mr Densil" it's as clear as MudImage, hopefully Richard may pop along and try to explain to me/us or just me as it's probably only me that doesn't understand or haven't listened properly like I always told at school..to busy being the clown of the classImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Richard Calver

Post by Richard Calver »

Long term readers of the literature would know that Ocker Jackson has been (and still is) my mentor on all things Jensen. He was banned from this forum a long time ago on account of some problems with language. Not that he has any problems with language himself, being as voluble as he is and prone to delivering an earful on occasion, particularly after imbibing one or two of his favourite refreshments.

I understand Ocker very well, although others appear not to appreciate his wisdom or wit or in fact his vast store of knowledge on all things Jensen.

Having read some of the preceding posts, Ocker was moved to provide me with an expletive laden guide to the apparent problem of interpretation of the various Interceptor series. As he is unable to post directly, I shall attempt to reinterpret his comments for our readership.

First, as Ocker suggests, get a flamin' book. There are some voluminous works which, although they appear over my name, are in point of established fact co-authored by Ocker. I don't mind admitting this, and people who own those books will have noticed that he does get a credit in one or two of them, but unfortunately it remains a sore point in our relationship that he does not receive any greater exposure or indeed much of the credit he deserves.

As he correctly points out, a reader of one of the aforesaid flamin' books would know that an Interceptor III Series 4 is a 1974 model year car with a 4-series engine. He goes on to express bewilderment that certain bar professionals, even after reading the facts in their native language, seem unable to appreciate the substance of what is being said. As an example, he refers to a bit of explanatory language from my website which, despite having first been published about 30 years ago, seems not to have flamin' well sunk in. The text, which could have been drafted by Ocker himself, reads:

"Interceptors of this vintage are generally referred to as the Interceptor III Series 4, so named for their Chrysler 4-series engines (1974 model year). In fact, the term is applied generically even where this engine is not fitted so a certain amount of confusion can pertain. For example, some of the last of the J-series cars actually have 4C engines fitted, presumably because the supply of 3C engines was running out before the production line was geared up to build the 1974 model cars. Although the bulk of the Series 4 cars have 4C engines, the first nine cars made for Japan were given the older 3C units while the last examples have Series 5 engines (for the 1975 Chrysler model year). On Interceptors, there are also some oddball variants described variously as 4T/75, 4T4C and 4T5C engines. These are surplus 1974 engines modified by the factory to pass the 1975 Federal emissions specification. Exactly what was done to them is now hard to say but, whatever you have under the bonnet of a (non-Japanese) Series 4 car, a 1974 or 75 Chrysler workshop manual will cover it."

Ocker was alive and driving (and drinking) throughout the period in which the various Chrysler V8 engine types were used in Jensen cars. He points out that there is a simple and logical progression in the naming of these engines which carries over into the Jensen literature, referred to by Ocker as the sort of flamin' stuff that these bar professionals ought to be flamin' well reading.

To Ocker (and to me) it seems obvious when speaking of a D-series engine that we are referring to a 1968 model year engine, and thus an Interceptor or FF of the first variation, or that when we speak of a J-series we are talking about a 1973 Interceptor III. For ease of reference, Ocker has kindly provided a guide to the engine series used in the Interceptors and FFs. I reproduce it in full for the benefit of those who Ocker says need to absorb and flamin' well remember it.

1965 A-series
1966 B-series
1967 C-series
1968 D-series
1969 E-series
1970 F-series
1971 G-series
1972 H-series
1973 J-series
1974 4-series
1975 5-series

Being a pedant when it suits, Ocker did remind me that at least one of the late Interceptors got a 6-series engine. He does not know why that was the case but assumes it had something to do with the supply problems facing Jensen during the period of receivership, hence the possibility that the odd 6-series engine did make it through to the late production. As an avid reader of the literature, Ocker has not uncovered any reference to a Jensen model designation of Series 6, so I think we can safely rule that out.

As to the confusion between Series 4 and 4-series and S4 and so on, Ocker points out that things are perfectly flamin' simple. The Jensen Interceptor III was made from 1971 to 1976. A Jensen Interceptor III Series 4 is a 1974 model with a 4-series engine. Although he himself admits to being guilty of referring to cars loosely as Series IIIs or Series 4s, he suggests that people always try to use the correct terminology, unless they are sure they are not talking to a complete flamin' idiot who can't cop the flamin' gist of what is being flamin' said. He asked if I was with him on this and I told him I was.

As to the use of the term S4, Ocker points out that this is reserved exclusively for the Interceptor of the 1980s. The badges on this car say INTERCEPTOR S4, not INTERCEPTOR SERIES 4. Ocker suggests that anyone using the term S4 as an abbreviation when talking about the cars of the 1970s ought to be flamin' well shot, or at least banned from the flamin' forum for talking flamin' rot. In this respect, I note that Ocker covers himself in the well known website referred to above when he writes:

"the 1980s production 360ci Interceptor S4 (not to be confused with the 440ci Interceptor III Series 4)."

This has probably dragged on for longer than it should have done but I think it is important to have the correct position on record, not only for the edification of readers generally but also as a way of recognizing Ocker's pivotal role in getting to the nub of Jensen history.

Thank you Ocker, and I hope this helps in some way.
JOC member 3551
Canberra, Oz
4¼ Litre H4/9103
http://www.richardcalver.com
tfmuch@bigpond.com
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I think you nailed it Richard (& Ocker) - totally clear and hopefully will mean we can all sleep soundly in the knowledge that we know what Interceptor or FF we have. 8)
All of the books are terrific by the way and, they should all belong in the libraries of everyone who is even vaguely interested in Jensen.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
sespie

Post by sespie »

I, for one, am very pleased to hear that Ocker is alive and kicking. I was worried the COVID might've got him.
Simon
1974 Interceptor III
1973 Lotus Europa Special
1979 Rover 3500
Grant

Post by Grant »

ImageGreat stuff RichardMan, thank you so much for taking the time to explain, and to Ocker for passing this ImageFlamin'Imageinformation onto
your goodselfImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Thank you Richard, for posting, clearly Ocker is passionate about the brand. We should take the time to learn more. I know I'm guilty of not knowing as much as I should, but I also know that there's worse than me. Some comfort 😜😂
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion”