NEC Classic car show

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

NEC Classic car show

Post by Steve Payne »

In a few weeks the NEC Classic car show will be on, I usually attend but the people who I usually go with have all said they wont be going due to the increasing cases of Covid,

It has got me thinking that maybe I am being to blasé about this and should leave it until next year.

I must admit walking around for the day wearing a facial covering does not sound great even though this is optional at the moment

What is the general consensus of people who usually attend this event?

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Mark1Stu

Re: NEC Classic car show

Post by Mark1Stu »

Hi Steve,

I’m not planning to go anyway, so feel free to ignore my thoughts. However, I would be inclined to not go given the current and increasingly infection rate (Bristol is currently one of the highest in the country at the moment and may be due to false negative testing linked to a lab covering our area, based in Wolverhampton).

My wife’s brother and his partner (Bristol based) are just getting over COVID and have told us it’s been a horrible experience. While they’ve been very careful to avoid crowded spaces etc….they don’t know how they contracted it.

Both have previously been double vaccinated.
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi all

I had intended to visit the Show but accepted that a face mask would be a sensible precaution
The high volume space of the Halls also gives me some comfort - compared to public transport spaces

I have lost a good friend to Covid and know of a number of others that have contracted it but have been fortunate to not be too badly affected

I am anticipating a lower turn out but propose to take a sensible approach

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 owned since September 1978
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Yes there is always a risk. Double Vax?? and got the bug?!! However this is not going to go away. Everyone must plan to live with this covid for the foreseeable future. If you are double vaxxed I find it rather difficult to understand a person could catch it. Not going anywhere for fear of catching "it" will destroy your ability to live your life to it's fullest. In Australia we are opening up at 80% double vax (except for WA which has become a hermit kingdom...politics, politics!) and as elsewhere we still have infections and some deaths. However I think all countries (except Russia) have ever so quietly decided to live or die on their feet and open up rather than an economic catastrophy which will plague the world for another hundred years. Eventually all virus' die out as will this one. In medieval times the Black Death wiped out near half the population of UK and Europe but as a positive it ended serfdom and set the world (known) on a better course. If double vaxxed get out there and cover up if you want to but wringing hands over mostly urban myths will not help.Go to the bloody NEC and to hell with it!!. Must go as have developed a nasty cold on the chest...nothing to worry about. Kenny38 :D
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I'm not planning on going to the NEC show, as entering a potentially crowded space with lots of people from across the UK (& beyond) is a risk too far for me.
In part, as the following week, I am booked to fly to Australia and I simply can't take the risk of testing positive and having to cancel.
The vaccine definitely lowers the risk of serious illness or death hugely.
Although I'm triple vaccinated, therefore the risk is extremely low, these vaccines are known not to be 100% effective.
The first time I went out to the cinema (last week) I got my first ever "ping" via the NHS app a few days later.
This means I must have been within 6 feet (2m) for a period of more than 20 minutes, of a person who tested positive shortly after visiting the cinema.
I don't want to risk going through that stress again!
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
DPP

Post by DPP »

I will be going and helping on the club stand for the 3 days, I have attended this event for many years since my teens and really love the atmosphere of the place and people you meet.

I haven't done as much as normal since everything opened up but think we have to live with this, Ive stayed away from cinemas and concerts or other potentially packed places over the last few months. These were not things I did often though, the one thing I really missed last year was the NEC. I just hope they dont bring in more regulations as soon as the kids return to school next week.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Is that what those many annoying "pings" are for? They keep pinging on my phone....I never answer my phone as there maybe some one there. Kenny38
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

kenny38 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:42 am Is that what those many annoying "pings" are for? They keep pinging on my phone....I never answer my phone as there maybe some one there. Kenny38
I don't believe the UK NHS app will "ping" you in Australia plus, being in Australia, you're unlikely to have been sat within 2 metres of someone in the UK, for 15 or more minutes, who subsequently tested Covid positive...
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
LLClassiques

Post by LLClassiques »

Sadly I am unable to attend the NEC Show.

I caught covid at the beginning of October, which wasn’t very nice. I am also 14 week’s pregnant, so I have been advised by my medical team to ‘shield’ as much as I can now for the next six months.

Thank you to everyone that has continued to support the JOC stand and represent us. Please stay safe.

Leah Guilliard-Watts
JOC EDITOR
JOC Magazine Editor
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Dear Leah. Hope you get over this, As you are young it will be quicker. Hope the baby arrives safely and brings plenty of joy to you. Kenny38
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Congratulations first, (then commiserations). Excellent news, Leah.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

Hi

Just a note from our instructions as exhibitors.

It may not make much difference to those that choose not to attend but for us that are attending and helping out on the stand - we are required to show proof of COVID Status on entry to the NEC. We will all be issued with vaccine wristbands . Each wristband will be valid for 48 hours. Not sure if this will be check throughout the venue but for sure it will be need to be worn on entry each time.

As for the General public the NEC Website says: https://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/safety-measures

Like Martin said he got ping just going to the cinema (seems to be a common theme) so for sure someone will get ping from the show... I (not the NEC) recommend you wear a mask or at least bring one if attending, it is not 100% but there is no harm in wearing it if you can. Come see me at the stand if you do attend, I will have free Jensen ones to hand out to anyone that wants one (while stock last of course).

Raj
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

Dear Mangaroo. I note that you have some more Jensen masks. My sister in law took mine as "To good for you" as she drank another few glasses of my fine collector wines. Speaking of whines can I have another one? I will of course pay. I know you may not remember but we will always have Clacton on Sea. Kenny38.
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

O dear Kenny38,

What are you like... I'll e-mail you. Raj :D
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Having waited until the last moment, Covid levels seem to be reasonable enough for me to attend on Friday and Saturday (overnight stay at the Ibis). Happy to help out on the stand if required.

Stephen
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “General Discussion”