Car of the Month

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
kenny38

Re: Car of the Month

Post by kenny38 »

Rocky, your idea is a good one. It's not much use looking for a car of month if no one is willing to put one up. Aloso with ref. to me, what does manderville mean? Does it mean I don't have to gol olut again and use as an excuse to get that tall,slim, youngish blond woman in tight mole skins and boots with lotsa stars on her shoulders to come back? Kenny38
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

colin7673 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:19 am
KaranMK2 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:11 pm It would be good to get some more engagement going - it stimulate encouragement for all. Very few are actually replying on this post or private messaging me.
Kr
Karan
I think your expecting to much Karan, Its a bit like the articals for the club magazine or getting involved organising activities, people are just happy to read what's going on... You can't always expect things to come to you, sometimes you have to lead.
One can lead a horse to water, but cannot force it to drink...
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

I had no idea how to submit anything until I read this; would it help to put a 'sticky' at the top of the part of the part of the car of ze month website detailing how/where members of the Great Unwashed can submit their humble offerings?

Some of the tales are really interesting.
Chris L
J-H Mk1 11327
GT 30305
Perth, Australia
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Han Kamp wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:18 pm
colin7673 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:19 am
KaranMK2 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:11 pm It would be good to get some more engagement going - it stimulate encouragement for all. Very few are actually replying on this post or private messaging me.
Kr
Karan
I think your expecting to much Karan, Its a bit like the articals for the club magazine or getting involved organising activities, people are just happy to read what's going on... You can't always expect things to come to you, sometimes you have to lead.
One can lead a horse to water, but cannot force it to drink...
Very true, but lead by example...
trouble is, there's an attitude "of not broken don't fix "
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Hi All, I will endeavour to give an update in a few weeks time. Thus far, the post has been been read circa 550 times with 3% replying to the post that comprised of 9 members with multiple postings. Zero suggestion of an entry to date, apart from RockyUSA!!!

Suggestion of cars and thoughts please to my vice chair email address would be most welcomed. It is vicechair@joc.org.uk or or you can PM me as mentioned earlier.

Kind regards
Karan
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

Car of the Month is potentially a very worthwhile slot and in my view should be brought back to life. It's a great opportunity for all Forum members to tell everyone about their cars. I suggest that arrangements are kept very very simple, be non-competitive and involve no extra work for our volunteer club officials.

Any member should be able to post a short article of interest with several pics in the Car of the Month slot. In fact it should be rebadged 'Cars of the Month' as if there are 3 or 5 cars in a month then great. If there are more than that maybe they get posted into the next month's Cars of the Month, which could already be set up. During a year articles would ideally cover all models of cars, including earlier cars, and all conditions. Barn finds, cars needing lots of work are as interesting to me as concours cars. Car histories are also usually fascinating. Also any member actually using their car regularly rather than just going to meetings would be good to hear about. If no articles are forthcoming in a month, maybe the moderators could post a short reminder in General Discussion. I am not sure whether any of this would need the Forum machinery to be tweaked, maybe Zac or Raj will comment.

I don't think there is any need for involvement of Area Reps, who have plenty to organise as it is, or any other club official as in my view it should not be competitive or selective. The Forum moderators may briefly review submissions just as any other post. I would not expect a high level of posts in reply to articles since, as I think Colin has said, most people are just happy to read submissions or articles. Numbers of views would also be unimportant as even if one or two members find an article useful, it has all been worthwhile.

Finally, Leah may find some of the articles worthy of inclusion in the magazine, as a significant proportion of members are not Forum members so may never see Cars of the Month otherwise. In a similar vein, a page or two in the magazine distilling some of the more useful advice and tips given would be useful. The Riley RM Club has a very interesting regular feature 'What's on the Forum', consolidating the more useful posts.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34
Used to own CV8 MkII 104/2229
Used to own CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

David,

Thank you for your thoughtful email. I will give it a few more weeks to get a broad perspective from our members and revert accordingly.

Kind regards
Karan
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

See my comments under Cars of the Month. Richard’s article is a model for how to write one!
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34
Used to own CV8 MkII 104/2229
Used to own CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Any more thoughts from anyone please? PM or email to my vice chair email address if you prefer. Potential sensitivities on posting will need managing.

Kind regards.
Karan
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I suppose for some longer term members, (notice I didn't say old members!) it's easy to forget that although, for example, I think my own FF was once featured, it's probably the best part of ten years ago...Then again, maybe it wasn't even featured?? My mind is playing tricks!
Perhaps some previous cars could be re-visited?
Also, it's often the International or a popular JOC event, or a popular car / owner which seems to inspire car of the month.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Spot on Martin. Feedback as such will hopefully aid in developing a sustainable plan / course of action.

Kr
Karan
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Any more suggestions from anyone please? I have a meeting tonight on the subject?

Kind regards,
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

I'll PM you Karan.

Stu
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Pymmie wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:21 pm I think it would be good for each area rep to try to do a local car each 12-18 months.

It just takes a bit of effort from a few to get this up and running.

John P
Maybe you'd like to be the first John to do this
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion”