Polly Walton's Interceptor

Turin or Bust
zacmarshall

Polly Walton's Interceptor

Post by zacmarshall »

This is Polly Walton's Interceptor III on display as part of the 50th Anniversary celebrations at the Museo Nazionale dell'Automobile in Turin.

You may notice the number plate; although not clear in the picture it is a Maine, US plate.

Polly's husband bought the car in California when it was a year old. He passed away a number of years ago and Polly now keeps the car in Maine, using it when she is there in the Summer.

Polly saw the details of the trip in the magazine and decided that it would be wonderful to ship the car over and join us. The car was delayed by US customs so missed the boat it was supposed to be on, unfortunately the car was left on the dockside in the salt spray waiting for the next boat. When the car eventually arrived in England, Shaun and Bill Smith took Polly down to pick the car up, when Polly saw the car she was almost in tears, some surface rust came through and the car looked terrible. It looked a bit better when Bill Smith asked someone that was pressure washing their imported truck to give it a once over.

Polly had got the car serviced and checked over before it was shipped. Alan Smith and Bill then worked on the car for two days sorting out various issues they found including brake hoses and other things.

Polly wasn't confident driving in the UK so I drove down to Folkestone for the eurotunnel. There would have been 3 of us in Bill's SP so me going with Polly has worked out rather well. I have continued to drive so Polly can enjoy being a tourist and enjoy the views.

Despite the problems found with the car and the way it looks it drives very well. Other than an issue with indicator / instrument fuse it got here OK. The garage in the States were supposed to sort the windows out but didn't, I think it is the switch so Andy Brooks has sent one to the hotel at Turin. The window works intermittently, it has come down on the approach to each toll and will normally work again afterwards, apart from when we came through the tolls near Turin and it wouldn't go back up. It then started pouring with rain....

You may recognise the view if you were on the club's Spring Weekend

It fits! Ready for the off

At St Omer

On the banks of Lake Geneva at Chateau Chillon

Chateau Chillon in the background

In the Alps

As we used the Swiss motorways we had to buy a Vignette (pass), I wonder how any Interceptors in the US will have one stuck in the window :-)
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Kevin Birch

Re: Polly Walton's Interceptor

Post by Kevin Birch »

Well chosen Zac, as this is the furthest travelled Interceptor on the tour. Well done to Polly for being brave enough to ship it over, and take part, a truly lovely lady.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Ramdog

Post by Ramdog »

Good choice Zac,
we have nothing but admiration for Polly, she's a delightful lady, a joy to talk to, and I hugely respect her commitment in shipping her lovely car over to Europe and then driving it to Torino. What spirit!
Mk II Interceptor 123/3627
JOC Member 10012
My real name is Simon
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Polly driving on the test track at the top of the Lingotto Fiat factory.
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Polly was presented with an anniversary radiator badge for coming the furthest to Turin.

The gentelman behind Polly is Alfredo, a former work colleague of Chris who has acted as translator. He has been worth his weight in gold.
JOC Member No. 5061
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

What an absolute joy to read this! Polly, you should be so proud to have done this splendid trip!
Truly inspirational - safe travels!! :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
interjen

Post by interjen »

I would like to echo what Kevin and Simon have said, Polly is one of life's truly lovely people, when talking to Alison at the celebration meal in Turin she was telling her of all the charities she is associated with including children and animals. We enjoyed our chats with her during the week, she said "to do this trip with you guys is a true inspiration" I don't think she stopped smiling! (we will always call a toilet a "rest room" now)
Safe journey back to the states Polly, well done for achieving your dream and thank you for helping to make the trip so special. We are missing you already.
Simon and Alison. X
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
1922 Aveling and Porter Steam Roller (Sally)
GPZ900R

Return to “June 2016”