Kevin Birch's Interceptor

From Bordeaux to Turin - Kevin Birch's Interceptor I
zacmarshall

Kevin Birch's Interceptor

Post by zacmarshall »

This is Kevin Birch's Interceptor.

Bought in Bordeaux and brought back to the UK, Kevin will be using the car to travel to Turin for the Interceptor's 50th Anniversary celebrations.
Along with Kevin and Paul McElhinney the car is now a YouTube star!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF4hBObY5yM

This is Kevin's story:
Basically I have wanted an Interceptor since I was about 6 years old. My mum came home from work with a bandaged finger, and explained that she got it caught in her boss's electric window, which I didn't understand as I thought all car windows wound up with a handle. Anyway move on a couple of months and I had to go to work with her, and she pointed out the green Interceptor, and I just fell in love.

Roll on 40 years and the yearning was still there, but now I was in a position to be able to buy one, albeit one at the bottom end of the price range, and struggled to find one within my budget. I then saw an advert for 115/3067, the advert went something like this; "MK1 Interceptor for sale, good running order, older restoration, on its holidays in France, but a UK registered car with 6 weeks MOT left, open to sensible offers, give it a go, you may get lucky".

I gave a low but reasonable offer, stating I could make a quick sale, hoping this would clinch it, but fully expecting him to tell me where to go. This was early July 2014, and I then got an e-mail back stating that if I could complete by the end of July, I had a deal.

By 23rd July it was on my drive after doing a 1400 mile round trip to Bordeaux in my Range Rover & trailer.

The car was pressed into service for its first show 4 weeks later in Wolverhampton town centre and I have not looked back.

It has had several local newspaper entries, advertising events, appeared on telly recently, promoting the history of West Bromwich, and even taken part in a corporate video to celebrate the company's 40th birthday.

Originally white with a blue interior, it has since been changed to dark metallic blue with a dark red interior. The last owner had started restoring the interior, after a previous owner had painted it white with what appeared to be 2-pack car paint. I finished restoring it, complete with replacing the veneer and finishing it off with an 8 track stereo and Voxson speakers.

It is has spent the past 5 months being checked over and worked on, for the 50th anniversary trip to Turin, and now am getting excited as well as nervous at what I (and my son Dan) have let ourselves in for.

As bought in France ready for the journey home

At Calais being dragged back to the UK

In good company at the site of the Interceptor pub in West Brom

Being filmed as part of a company birthday celebration.

Some other photos

C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
shaun

Re: Kevin Birch's Interceptor

Post by shaun »

Nice one Kevin.

Car looks good.

Yours is one of four Mark Ones on the trip to Turin. It will be good to get almost the whole history of Interceptors and FF's together. Just missing a Coupe and an S4.

See you soon.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

It's very handy having my erstwhile schoolfriend Kevin on my doorstep. Whenever I've needed an Interceptor for a media obligation he's always very willing. She's a very presentable old girl. Mind you when finances allow I'd repaint her white, with that red interior she'd look the nuts.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
SRS2000

Post by SRS2000 »

Had the pleasure of meeting Kevin and his fantastic MK1 at Crich what a great combo - well deserved.
Attachments
Crich April 2016
Crich April 2016
DSC_0089.JPG (240.34 KiB) Viewed 6243 times
Interceptor MK1 115/2937 (1968) YBP 5G (Genghis)
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

You can tell from the pictures Kevin loves his Interceptor. And rightly so.

Good luck on the Turin trip Kevin - and to all those accompanying you.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Kevin, take no notice of that Paul; he's got no taste. Dark blue with red interior is a lovely combination and it should stay that way. :wink:
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

I've just looked at a photo of my ex-wife, I'm afraid Stephen's right.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Thanks all for your comments, I'm really chuffed that my car has been chosen for car of the month.

If and when funds allow, I will get her resprayed, but which way to go. I do like the present colour scheme, although, I would like to return it back to white with a blue interior, even though I don't like white Interceptors, Eddie's Old English White/cream MK2 being the exception, as I love that car. Until then I will just enjoy driving and using it with all its little blemishes, and having a massive smile on my face whilst I'm doing it.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Martin K

Post by Martin K »

Kevin Birch wrote:Thanks all for your comments, I'm really chuffed that my car has been chosen for car of the month.

If and when funds allow, I will get her resprayed, but which way to go. I do like the present colour scheme, although, I would like to return it back to white with a blue interior, even though I don't like white Interceptors, Eddie's Old English White/cream MK2 being the exception, as I love that car. Until then I will just enjoy driving and using it with all its little blemishes, and having a massive smile on my face whilst I'm doing it.
Hi Kevin. When we met on Saturday last I didn't realize I was in the presence of a "Car of the Month" man! :D Lovely to meet you and your car - Hope you really enjoy Turin.
Martin Kennedy

1969 FF Mk1 119/098 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWEc85hC6Q
1970 Lotus Elan S4 DHC
JOC Member 10029
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Top car, top man, well deserved car of the month.
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
interjen

Post by interjen »

Well done Kevin, and well deserved. Your car behaved herself impeccably on the trip to Turin (and back) and I'm sure I'm right in saying the bond between you and her will be even greater. Its a very bold thing to drive your car 1000 miles from home knowing you have it all to do again, a big ask. We thought she look great, its difficult to change colours after a car has established history with the club as you almost have to start again, however whatever colour you decide upon you know that underneath beats the heart of a good reliable car.
Simon.
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
1922 Aveling and Porter Steam Roller (Sally)
GPZ900R
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

Nice to see the car in better health than when i saw it, as it was local to me, and the interior was interesting..
the red suits it well..
1968 Interceptor Mk 1 115/3012
1971 FF MK 2 127/284

Return to “May 2016”