JH 50th event 23rd and 24th July

Post advance news of events you will be attending
Bob Heydon

JH 50th event 23rd and 24th July

Post by Bob Heydon »

The Isle of Man Festival of motoring 50th Anniversary event for the Jensen-Healey has had a slow take up of participants and to date only two or three owners have confirmed interest in the event. As an alternative I'm in the initial stages of planning an event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Jensen-Healey.

To attract the most owners I think it should be Midlands based and probably not mixed in with another event that could take the focus away. Initial thoughts are for the event to be held over a weekend (Friday and Saturday night stay) with a drive out together on the Saturday and then a drive to a NT / Stately home on the Sunday for more of a formal gathering. That way those that wish to attend on just the Sunday can, without hotel costs etc. The Saturday drive out could be for example to a museum or to a classic car restorers.

If this event was well publicised it should attract Jensen-Healey owners that are not JOC members and there are a fair number of them.

What I'm after are either some suggestions based on an event outlined above or any alternative ideas for an event. Anyone with a recommendation for a hotel in the Midlands area? Suggestions for a drive-out on the Saturday and good place to hold the gathering on the Sunday.

Many thanks,
Rob Heydon
J-H and GT Registrar
JH MK1 11988
JH Mk2 16813
1950 LE Vellocette Mk1
JOC 2059
David Davies

Re: Preliminary notice - JH 50th alternative event planning

Post by David Davies »

Would Gaydon be a candidate for the Sunday event, per the 541 60th? A high profile motoring venue that helps to draw in the classic car press, great museum to look at too. Have you ever done anything with one of the Lotus club? Just a thought.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

Mallory Park or Silverstone for a little on track action? They are 5 time SCCA group D winners after all?
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

Peter Heywood

Post by Peter Heywood »

I'm interested Rob,
The isle of Man was not what we wanted to do. All the suggestions seem OK.
Pete Heywood
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

David Davies wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:27 pm Would Gaydon be a candidate for the Sunday event, per the 541 60th? A high profile motoring venue that helps to draw in the classic car press, great museum to look at too. Have you ever done anything with one of the Lotus club? Just a thought.
On July 4th this year there was a major meeting at Gaydon for any Healey related cars, i.e. Austin Healeys, Healeys and Jensen-Healeys. There was a good turnout of JOC members.
It might be seen as repetitive to return the following year.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

Fine, I was unaware of that VFK44. I was just making a suggestion. Why don’t you and others help Rob with positive suggestions instead??

I think the racing circuit venues suggested may be very good though I have no idea what they are like for a club anniversary meeting venue. I went round Silverstone in a Lagonda Rapide once with a group, enjoying the extreme 60s body roll and squealing tyres.
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I am trying to be positive, but I live in the South and know little about Midlands pubs or venues. I do know about Gaydon, and working with another club, as I attended that meeting. It might be suitable for a general club meet, as it would be novel to many members, but for Healey owners it could lack anniversary magic after this year's similar event.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

I think it’s up to Rob and the Healey owners (and of course the learned committee) to consider that rather than for you to pre-judge?
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Quite right. I'm out of this conversation.
Stephen, Epping, Essex
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Hi Rob

We could look at going to this exhibition in Warwick but it only runs till May. Parking may be a problem though for a lot of cars.

https://heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk/ne ... -into-2021

Dave
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

One of the stops / points of meeting could be Caffeine & Machine which is close to Gaydon and very popular with car enthusiasts.

https://caffeineandmachine.com/

Maybe they might be willing to do something for the 50th over a weekend time to also encourage others to visit.

Do we have a period when this is being looked at for as we couldn't go to Isle of man as we are doing the NC500 in the Interceptor at the same time
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
Peter Heywood

Post by Peter Heywood »

To Dave,
Do you have any more info on the Warwick exhibition? Where did you read that it was only on till May? My Sprite owning friend had not heard of it. I thought I might meet him there.

I chickened out of the Gaydon event. I will go at sometime. All the suggestions seem OK.

Pete
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Hi Peter

The Warwick exhibition is on for a year and it started last May, it was originally 6 months and extended.. I just searched on line for a Healey connection and found it.

Dave
kees

Post by kees »

There may well be some EU interest in an alternative event somewhere mid UK, the Isle of Man being a bit to ambitious for some. There are plenty of J-Hs around. In the Netherlands alone there are ca. 65 registered, however not all are in driving condition.
I would also be interested as the Isle of Man event clashes with a UCC reunion in Ireland and a wedding in France.

Just checked this morning (18-12-'21) and there are actually a few more, about 75.
Not bad considering 8-12 were sold new, depending on the source.
Last edited by kees on Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

Rob

A couple of other thoughts for the JH 50th which may or may not already be in the pot:

- Bicester Heritage - high profile classic car venue, lots of space, track (with permission) for JH procession and possible spectacular drone photos and/or video for JOC website/mag and classic car press. Have I dreamt it or does the apprentice scheme have some link there which would be an added benefit? Maybe some foolhardy owners would allow non-JH owners a gentle drive round the track to reveal the appeal of the JH and GT to the uninitiated? Been round the track in a vintage Riley and had cars mended up there

- Blenheim Palace - Coys used to hold auctions and a customer concours for many years on a nice site near the entrance drive if country house is what’s wanted. Maybe a line up in front of the house could be asked for if you end up there. Bought my current old jalopy at a Coys auction there.

David
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001

Return to “Events”