JH 50th event 23rd and 24th July

Post advance news of events you will be attending
Helen

Re: Preliminary notice - JH 50th alternative event planning

Post by Helen »

Hi Rob,
It's a shame there hasn't be a better response to the Isle of Man. I have booked and was hoping for a great weekend but there's still time.

It is always difficult to find a venue. I agree that Gaydon would not be a good idea as there have been so many Jensen events there over the last few years. I am not keen on Blenheim. Ragley Hall, near Evesham is a possibility or to tempt more Dutch owners Burghley House near Stamford is a lovely venue and they are car friendly (there is a TVR gathering next April).

If you need any help please let me know.
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
Peter Heywood

Post by Peter Heywood »

Knebworth?
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

First of all, we can't go to IOM event as Lindsey hates ferries and also we are due to do the NC 500 with 15 other mixed bag classics at the same time so that was out, so sorry for the lack of support that way.

For suggestions then a possible venue in the Blenheim area, could be Eynsham Hall which has accommodation, is closed for renovation but could be willing, but you may have to fight with weddings like any other locations? https://dnahotels.com/2018/05/04/eynsha ... fordshire/ Then you could so a tour that includes Bicester Heritage, Blenheim Palace, Caffeine & machines and of course the greater Cotswolds. It is centrally located (sort of) and easy access to the lovely Europeans.

Clive
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

According to the book Michael Cooper’s Jensen Days published by Ulric Woodhams, photos of the launch of the Healey were taken at Stow School Buckinghamshire. There’s a Stowe School in Buckinghamshire so I assume the book contained a typo. The school and house have a website. Perusing it confirms they ‘do events’.

Historic architecture, beautiful grounds, somewhere different but with a Healey connection and perhaps the opportunity to recreate the brochure shots as part of a wider celebration of the model?

https://www.stowe.co.uk/school

Stu
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

Delphine Gray-Fisk took a group of us in various classics to Stowe School when she had her Jensen S-Type more than 12 years ago as she had some close connection with it. Remember it as a very pleasant setting though we didn’t realise the JH link at the time.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
JHV8

Post by JHV8 »

How about a Peaks District convoy... A57 Sheffield to Glossop. End up at Glossop & District Golf Club for refreshments / lunch?
16 valves but 4 extra pistons.

Rob d'Eca
JH-V8 - 13296
JOC No. 8081

https://www.printwell.london/deca/

kees

Post by kees »

Perfect idea. We could stay at the Portland House Hotel in Derby where we had the International some years ago. Plenty of space, simple but adequate, very reasonable prices, excellent food and staff.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Bob Heydon

Post by Bob Heydon »

Many thanks to everyone who has responded,

Some really good suggestions. I'll keep it going for a few more days in case other comments come in and then look in more details at what's been suggested.

Thanks again everyone,
Rob Heydon
J-H and GT Registrar
JH MK1 11988
JH Mk2 16813
1950 LE Vellocette Mk1
JOC 2059
TJG

Post by TJG »

Some great suggestions coming up here. Loving the idea of Caffine & Machine & Bicester Heritage. For a restorer to visit in that area we could ask Hightone Restorations, they did my car and have a good track record of Jensens. There is a nice hotel to stay in right opposite (Hopcroft Holt) or Heythorpe Park is lovely too, it is closed for refurb now but will be open by the summer, it has the most fabulous grounds. I can thoroughly recommend a Saturday trip to The Classic Motor Hub, always fascinating to look around for an hour or two. The car museum at Bourton on the Water isn't huge but is charming but we would need to check parking. They have some parking outside for visiting clubs by arrangement but not a huge amount. One further thought, I wonder if Martin Robey Engineering would do us a factory visit? I’ve had a sneaky look around there and it is fascinating.
Peter Heywood

Post by Peter Heywood »

TJG wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:28 am Some great suggestions coming up here. Loving the idea of Caffine & Machine & Bicester Heritage. For a restorer to visit in that area we could ask Hightone Restorations, they did my car and have a good track record of Jensens. There is a nice hotel to stay in right opposite (Hopcroft Holt) or Heythorpe Park is lovely too, it is closed for refurb now but will be open by the summer, it has the most fabulous grounds. I can thoroughly recommend a Saturday trip to The Classic Motor Hub, always fascinating to look around for an hour or two. The car museum at Bourton on the Water isn't huge but is charming but we would need to check parking. They have some parking outside for visiting clubs by arrangement but not a huge amount. One further thought, I wonder if Martin Robey Engineering would do us a factory visit? I’ve had a sneaky look around there and it is fascinating.
Yes please
Bob Heydon

Post by Bob Heydon »

Great suggestions and thank you to everyone for contributing.

I'm going to work along the line of organising a gathering in the Cotswolds sometime mid to end of July, early August. I need to have some idea of who wants to attend and whether you want just a single 'Healey Day' or make it a weekend with Friday and Saturday nights stop over in a hotel, or hotels.

I have someone who has kindly volunteered to organise a driving route. Ideas put forward so far are meeting or starting at Caffineandmachine near to Gaydon, a tour of a Classic Car Restorers and a gathering at Blenhein Palace or Stowe House.

Please let me know who would like to partake and if you have any further suggestions of where to visit.

Many thanks,
Rob Heydon
J-H and GT Registrar
JH MK1 11988
JH Mk2 16813
1950 LE Vellocette Mk1
JOC 2059
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Hi Bob

Jan & I would be up for a weekend in a hotel and touring around.

Dave
Peter Heywood

Post by Peter Heywood »

Those dates neatly miss our other events and the venues look great fun.
Pete & Lynda
TJG

Post by TJG »

I live in the Cotswolds so would be very interested in attending.
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Sounds like a plan is coming together very well now. It will depend on which weekend and if it is a weekend or just a day before Lindsey and I can commit due to work and other commitments already in the diary.
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer

Return to “Events”