Spring Break clarification

Post advance news of events you will be attending
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Spring Break clarification

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi All
Hope you are all well.
According to my in-box, on my e-mail thin, there seems to be some confusion as to the prices posted for the Spring Break in the Atholl Palace Hotel in Pitlochry.
The prices are:-
Double room at £209 per room per night, this means two people staying in a double room pay £209.00 per night for B&B, you do not pay this price per person.
Single room at £179 per person per night, admittedly not so great.
It is not compulsory to book a three night stay, those who wish to drive home on Sunday afternoon can and the above prices still apply.

By pleading with the hotels and numerous phone calls these prices are a discount from the original prices quoted to me by Atholl Palace of £229.00 & £189 per room per night.
Some of the hotels I spoke to flatly refused a discount and wanted payment in advance with no chance of a cash refund should there be a Covid incident (refunds as vouchers were mentioned).
Remember this is a holiday weekend and hotels are looking to recoup income lost due to the closures caused by the pandemic.

It should be noted that advance payments to hotels for groups such as car clubs have to be done as a contract and deposits of up to 50% paid in advance. I am afraid that as a club member not a paid official I am reluctant to collect and handle other member's cash under any conditions let alone the afore mentioned.
I am sure that as those who have organised such events before, in easier times, have found that accommodation cost is only one aspect to consider. The hotel has to have enough rooms to accommodate the club members, response to the Scottish Spring Break elicited 18 participants most as couples. This alone ruled out two shortlisted hotels. Hotel parking has to be large enough and secure. Location, reviews etc all have to be considered.

Hopefully it will be a great weekend and all will enjoy it, we have some magnificent scenery to drive through and a top notch hotel to stay in.
We also have a drive to a restoration company who are delighted to show us around for free.

Hope this clarifies things, please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards
Richard
JOC Scottish Rep

Return to “Events”