Spring Break Latest Information

Post advance news of events you will be attending
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Spring Break Latest Information

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi All
It was really gratifying to see the number of members expressing an interest in the Spring Break in Scotland.
We have now homed in on a venue and peripheral events.
As previously posted the Spring Break will (Covid allowing) be held from Friday 30th April to Monday 3rd May.
As you know this is the May weekend so those who wish, can drive home on Monday rather than Sunday afternoon, without a holiday penalty.
This weekend was also selected as the use of salt on the roads should have finished and hopefully the Covid situation may have eased hopefully.

After much telephoning, e-mailing, begging and discussion It has been decided to use the "Atholl Palace Hotel" in Pitlochry.
Due to the numbers interested in attending and the parking required, despite it being a tad on the expensive side, the Atholl Palace was selected for accommodation.
A visit to their web site will give you a good idea as to the quality and ambiance of the hotel.
Unfortunately the hotel is not pet friendly and has no facilities for pets.
The price negotiated for the May weekend whether two of three nights is as follows:-
Double room B&B £209.00/night.
Single room B&B £179.00/night.
Dinner can be reserved for Saturday night at £49.00/head or we could all meet in the bar/restaurant and dine from the menu. Personally I think this could be the best option.
In order to circumvent the need to handle money each participating member will book and pay for their own accommodation by contacting the Atholl Palace directly and telling them that you are a JOC member.
Bookings should be completed at least a month prior to the Spring Break.

On Saturday 1st May we are driving to "Classic Restorations (Scotland) Ltd" at Alyth where we will be given a tour around the facilities, they usually have some interesting vehicles on site. It is an hours run of around 30 scenic miles via Blairgowrie to Alyth and are expected to arrive on site around 10h30. There are several cafes and local hotels for lunch before we return to Pitlochry via a different route. Maps and satnav information will be provided.

On Sunday 2nd May as a more lady (and chocoholics) friendly trip it has been arranged to visit the Highland Chocolatier at Grandtully about 10 miles from Pitlochry. We are expected to arrive around 10h30, to avoid the crowds, and we have a choice of tours including a tasting tour. Of course there is a charge for each type of tour, I shall post a list of options later for members to select from.
For those who wish, about 10 miles north of Pitlochry is the country shopping complex at Bruar, just off the A9.
I have been asked to point out that those participating in the Spring Break could continue on Monday to drive the N500 around the North of Scotland or the NE250 along the East coast, Perth is a good starting point for both runs.
When booking accommodation could members please let me know by e-mail on scotland@joc.org.uk to allow me to maintain a list of participating members so I can pass numbers to Classic Restorations and the Highland Chocolatier.
I hope this post has whetted your appetites for the Spring Break and look forward to seeing everyone, please keep me informed on your participation.
Stay well all.

Regards
Richard
Helen

Re: Spring Break Latest Information

Post by Helen »

This sounds great Richard. Can you just confirm what the room rate covers?
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

I read it as Room rate was Bed and Breakfast. Evening meal extra
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

I read it as the cost being per person, per night, not sure if I misread it or if Richard corrected it.

Speaking to some Thames Valley members last night I wasn't the only one that read it that way.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

According to the hotel website rates are per night, so a double room at £209 per night is £104.50 per person per night

https://www.athollpalace.com/

You can actually book a room for less than that if you go for the Advanced Purchase price, but you pay now and the cost is not refundable if you cancel.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi All
Hope you are all well.
Along with two other members I have now booked my accommodation at the Atholl Palace Hotel for the Spring Break at the end of April, beginning of May.
When booking, the hotel has informed me that, no money will be taken from your card until 28 days before the event. The hotel will take your card details to reserve the room but will then inform you a month prior to the event of the amount to be taken.

Regards
Richard
JOC Scottish Rep
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

Hi Richard,

Thank you for arranging this, Karan and I are all booked now for the 3 nights. Looking forward to it!

For information purpose, when I called the hotel they did not initially know of the booking. I called back after speaking to Richard and told the hotel the following:

The event is not a group booking, but an agreed price arranged for the JOC Members.
The price confirmed is a double room £209 per night or single room £179 per night. This includes Bed and Breakfast (as noted above)
They took my card details and name and have sent me confirmation of the booking. Payment is due 4 weeks from the date of the event.
Hotel contact number is: 01796472400

Hope that helps anyone else that is planning to book.

Raj
Last edited by rmangroo on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Lindsey and I have booked into the hotel for the three nights, mentioned this on the other thread. All subject to work issues :-)

Not sure what we will take up but will be stopping over on the way up on Thursday night in Lakes area I guess and then on the way back haven't made up my mind as it is bank holiday Monday.
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi Clive
Look forward to seeing you.
Got one or two bits to sort out on my Interceptor myself but it should be there.
Please take care and have a Merry Christmas (socially distanced of course) and a Happy New Year.

Regards

Richard
JOC Scotland Rep
Richard_2

Post by Richard_2 »

Hi all,

Just thought that I would let you know that Adam with his Healey and I in my SP have decided to extend the spring break and tour round the north of Scotland. Our programme is as follows:

Monday to John o'Groats staying for 2 nights at the Seaview Hotel - https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/seavie ... en-gb.html
Wednesday to Gairloch / Torridon staying at the Gairloch Hotel - https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/gairlo ... aid=304142
Friday to Stranraer staying at Craignelder Hotel https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/craignelder.en-gb.html
Sunday back home to London

Please feel free to join us for all, or part of the extended trip should you want to.

An overview of the route is shown below:
JOC Spring Break.jpg
JOC Spring Break.jpg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
Richard Fischer
Jensen SP
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Hi

Just tried to book the hotel but was told they would take the money now for advanced booking rate. So I will leave booking till nearer the time.

Dave
RichardGibson
JOC Scotland Rep

Post by RichardGibson »

Hi David

I booked earlier this week and had no problem, give your credit card details but no money to be taken from from the card until 28 days before the event.
Having said this though a couple of members have had a similar issue the first time of calling but on phoning back had no issue and the above applied.
Be firm and if any issues ask them to speak to "Catherine Guthrie", event manager (although strictly speaking this is not an event according to their definition).
I think there seems to be a problem getting the message to the various receptionists.
I will try call them again today.
Keep well.

Regards
Richard
JOC Scotland Rep
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

David Devine wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:48 am Hi

Just tried to book the hotel but was told they would take the money now for advanced booking rate. So I will leave booking till nearer the time.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Try them again. Tell them it is not a group booking and a rate if £209 for a double room was agreed. I had similar problem. If you do want to attend you don’t want to miss put on the rate as it is a bank holiday weekend. I suspect the info is not being passed to to reception/receptionist.

Raj
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Any issues you can get the same rate through Booking.com and that is confirmed online. All the same conditions etc.
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
Richard_2

Post by Richard_2 »

Adam and I have decided that we want to use our cars now that lock down restrictions are easing and so have decided go to Scotland for a spring break. We are going to tour Scotland as described in my earlier post, keeping to the original dates. I have been in touch with the Atholl Palace Hotel and booked rooms. It appears that we should be able to follow our itinerary as long as lock down restrictions are eased as planned.

So there should be a SP and Jensen Healey touring Scotland in early May. I estimate our mileage will be just under 2000 and am really liking forward to the drive. My wife Jenny will be accompanying us.
Richard Fischer
Jensen SP

Return to “Events”