International Weekend 2021

Post advance news of events you will be attending
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: International Weekend 2021

Post by Chris_R »

There is no reliable predictions for what will happen. There is much speculation.
As at today, just about all of Europe is on the UK's "amber" list which means 10 days isolation on arrival in the UK, plus 2 Covid tests. The Government has said it will review the lists every 3 weeks.
The next change will be in about 3 weeks time, expected to be announced on or around 24th June to take effect a week or so later. These dates are not confirmed either. It may be unfortunately that the International will have much less "Inter" than we would wish.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Stuartjensen wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:12 pm Hi Kees and all

It is very hard to predict, Greater Manchester and Lancashire have just gone into more restrictions. (The politicians say NOT new lockdown, but it feels like it!)

We are proceeding with planning a great weekend, celebrating the club's 50th and we do have some time in hand.

And Kees, I know the entertainment we have booked for the dinner dance will meet with your approval :D

Happily many members also seem to be ready for freedom and bookings are buoyant :D :D

So again I ask what plans are there to celebrate the JOC 50th ??
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

colin7673 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 am

It is very hard to predict, Greater Manchester and Lancashire have just gone into more restrictions. (The politicians say NOT new lockdown, but it feels like it!)

We are proceeding with planning a great weekend, celebrating the club's 50th and we do have some time in hand.

And Kees, I know the entertainment we have booked for the dinner dance will meet with your approval :D

Happily many members also seem to be ready for freedom and bookings are buoyant :D :D

I believe Stuart answered your question by stating "We are proceeding with planning a great weekend, celebrating the club's 50th ".
"Proceeding with planning the weekend" suggests they are still planning the weekend, so I'm not sure how much more Stuart can offer until it is planned!
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
kees

Post by kees »

Our own International will face similar problems for people from the UK. We have a final date to firmly book the number of rooms at the hotel. If there is no certainty of the possibility to travel without restrictions at that time there may be precious little UK "content" which is usually around 50%.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Martin R wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:22 am
colin7673 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 am

I believe Stuart answered your question by stating "We are proceeding with planning a great weekend, celebrating the club's 50th ".
"Proceeding with planning the weekend" suggests they are still planning the weekend, so I'm not sure how much more Stuart can offer until it is planned!
If only Stuart could have answered in the first instance.. but it would have been nice to have some sort of idea as well, A teaser say to increase and encourage interest
Stuartjensen
JOC International Weekend Organiser

Post by Stuartjensen »

Hi All (and especially Colin)

This is where we are at as I write, but you will appreciate it is all dependent on whatever regulation are in force on the date!

The club is going to celebrate our 50th anniversary throughout the year as far as we are able and Raj is of course well on with this in terms of regalia as you might expect. The International Weekend will of course be an important part of this, but not the only opportunity to mark our half century.

Friday:
The usual catching up with friends as we arrive. We will have a meal which will accommodate differing arrival times; normally this would be a buffet which may not be allowed and we are exploring a hybrid between this and table service. The bar will be open but we may have to observe social distancing, thus we are arranging for a larger area and table service to accommodate.

Saturday:
Optional The club will participate in the Air Show at Abingdon, a planned drive from Wroughton and a cavalcade beside the runway then the opportunity to stay in the club area and watch the show. There are several other activities within a reasonable drive, we are holding off any arrangements at this stage until we know what is open and under what restrictions.

Dinner dance. The dinner will be served as per normal, as I write there is no clarity on the distancing which will be mandated. It may be rather than a table normally for 10 could accommodate 4 singles or 3 bubbles for example.
We have an after dinner speaker who both works in classic car restoration and is entertaining. I will keep his identity confidential at present as we are finalising arrangements. We have a group of vocalists who are flexible and can entertain us whilst we watch, facilitate dancing or a bit of both depending what uncle Boris allows.

Every year I am contacted asking if the dress code in Black Tie; it is not and never has been. About half the men chose DJs (Smokings Kees) and of course John from Holland usually manages to dress in a form which defies description! Well done John.

Sunday
Polishing cloths down at 10am and Concours judging starts. Once again we will have the Show & Shine competition for all our cars. We will be entertained by a band playing hits from the period when our Jensens were new, as per the

Goodwood revival we hope members will dress in period and of course there will be prizes.

Lunch will form part of the package, a BBQ if that is allowed and prize giving before we all start to head home.

Throughout the weekend:

• Regalia will be in attendance, set opening hours so that Raj can enjoy as well! Raj has indicated that she is happy to bring merchandise ordered by members to the event to save on postage.
• Benchmarking will be available but booking a slot will be essential.
• Before the event I will invite the traders either to display, sell their wares or both

Of course the weekend can only work if we have help, if anyone is able to manage a stint welcoming in reception, assisting setting up the concourse etc please let me know.

Sorry so much is in the “to be advised” category, sadly these are unprecedented times. I really want an event which reflects our return from an enforced year off as well as the club birthday. Happily the numbers who have booked would indicate I am not alone.
Stuart Allan
Jensen Healey Owner for four decades
Now an SP as well
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Thank you Stuart. It always amazes me why it's so hard to get answers to any questions from the committee.
Stuartjensen

Post by Stuartjensen »

International Weekend Update :D

With the gradual relaxation of restrictions I have liaised with the hotel about our event.

• Bar service has returned! All payments will be by card (or added to room account).
• Self service breakfast will be as normal.
• The restriction on the number of guests (or bubbles) per table at the dinner-dance has gone.
• Staff will wear masks, guests will be encouraged so to do but this will not be compulsory.

Our chair, Shaun, is finalising our planned drive to the Abingdon Airshow. We aim to depart mid-morning and drive parallel with the runway before enjoying the show.

In addition to the concours on Sunday several traders have expressed interest in attending. You might be able to avoid shipping costs by asking goods to be brought to the event. Similarly Raj tells be she would be delighted to bring any regalia orders.

I am delighted at this return to nearly normal after the trials and tribulation of the last 18 months and look forward to seeing as many of you as possible next month. Let’s make the 50th anniversary weekend one to remember!
Stuart Allan
Now an SP as well
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Yay!! 8) :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Helen

Post by Helen »

Great news Stuart. I hope we can now have a bumper turn out for a traditional JOC International Weekend and Concours. A Venetian style Masked Ball might have been an interesting feature but now we will never know! Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

Stuartjensen wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:23 am International Weekend Update :D

Similarly Raj tells be she would be delighted to bring any regalia orders.
Hello everyone,

As quoted above from Stuart and in the recent JOC magazine (issue 278 page 51), I am happy to take order for current items in stock, as well as our clothing. I will need your orders for the clothing no later than 24th Aug 2021, as it will take min of 10 days for the order to be filled by the clothing company. For details of our clothing range please see the following Link https://www.totalclothingshop.co.uk/joc .

For current stocked items including wire diagrams, books, grill badges (anniversary ones as well as JOC one) and regalia items see the Merchandise shop link https://joc.org.uk/shop/. If it is currently shown out of stock please message me as most items I can acquire fairly quickly. Due to size and weight, I will only bring 3 Richard Calver, Jensen Genome but if more than 3 is ordered in advance I will for certain bring this with me for collection.

Payment can be made via cash or PayPal on the day. Bank transfers can be made in advance if you prefer.

PLEASE DO NOT ORDER IT ON LINE IF YOU WILL BE COLLECTING AT THE EVENT OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE CHARGED POSTAGE.

Opening Times:
- Friday (check in day) - 11:00 to 5:30 - Hotel checkin in normally 2/3pm but as most tend to arrive early to be greeted by the welcome committee, I will be at the venue as early as I can be. Times will be confirmed as soon as I know what I am allowed to do at the hotel.
- Saturday (closed - my day off :D )
- Sunday: (check out and final day) 11:00 - to closing.

Please send your order to me at regalia@joc.org.uk

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible...

Keep safe in the mean time.

Regards, Raj
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all
Does anyone know which “traders” will be attending the International this weekend. Might try and save postage if I know who might attending.
Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588 - Now sold
Stuartjensen

Post by Stuartjensen »

Cropredy Bridge are bring 2 cars to display and providing a talk on trim; all advertisers were invited of course.

Other traders may be attending privately of course and our guest speaker comes from the Classic Project Shop at Bicester if that helps?
Stuart Allan
Now an SP as well
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Thanks Stuart. I look forward to hearing from the guest speaker and good of Cropredy for stepping up.

Remember the dress theme - got mine yesterday and it’s not from my wardrobe!!

Kind regards,
Karan
Stuartjensen

Post by Stuartjensen »

OK The final line up, everyone ready for an epic weekend?! :D

Friday
Collect your welcome pack, meet friends old and new, buffet meals served in the Alexandra Suite at 19.30. Bar will be open!
The vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options are of course for those members who requested them.
Please note the hotel is Cash Free, payment may be made by card or to be added to your hotel bill.

Saturday

8-10:30 Breakfast in the restaurant.
10:30 Leave on the planned drive to the Atwell-Wilson Motor Museum, Stockley Lane, Calne SN11 0NF (https://atwellwilson.org.uk); we have withdrawn from our previously carefully arranged visit to the Abingdon Airshow when at the 11th hour further onerous conditions were imposed which made our engagement totally inappropriate for our weekend.
14:00 Optional lunch at The Roebuck in Marlborough (https://www.roebuckmarlborough.co.uk/) where we are promised our own car park.
19:00 Drinks reception in the foyer of the Alexandra Suite, wine station will accept your orders for dinner drinks.
19:30 Dinner in the Alexandra Suite, Jensen Quiz, and illustrated speech delivered by Simeon Cattle from the Classic Project Shop, Bicester and entertainment from the Polka Dots.

Sunday
8-10:30 Breakfast in the restaurant.
10:00 Dusters down and judging begins! In addition to the concours cars a couple of members with interesting Jensens have promised to bring them. Also we will be having the ever popular Show’n’shine for the Jensen cars present. This year we are asking you to dig out 70s fashions and there will be prizes!
Cropredy Bridge Garage are bringing 2 cars to exhibit and their trim expert to talk to us.
We have a marquee for the talk (and shelter if we have inclement weather); from midday the Luke Doherty Band will entertain with music appropriate to the years our cars were built.
12:30 The BBQ will commence service in the courtyard, there is seating in the courtyard and adjacent restaurant. We have had to pre-order food, please remember your tickets (found in your welcome pack)
15:00 Prize giving, (there will be birthday cake!)
16:00 Au revoir!
Attachments
I said there would be cake!
I said there would be cake!
Cake.jpg (179.21 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Stuart Allan
Now an SP as well

Return to “Events”