Southern Area July 16th Meeting cancelled

Post advance news of events you will be attending
EdwardB

Southern Area July 16th Meeting cancelled

Post by EdwardB »

It would have been great to see old Jensen friends, especially after this long lockdown, and it would have been good to get the cars out for a run. Two of our group have completed restorations which I know are ready for an outing and it would have been terrific to see them in the summer sunshine. However, on reflection, I think we may have been both a tad ambitious and a little premature in attempting to organise a Southern Area Meeting for July 16th. Very disappointing, but Phil and I have discussed this and think the only sensible option is to cancel it. It was a carefully weighed decision, but current guidelines and a missive from the TR Register are worth reading.

In England, public gatherings of more than 30 people are still prohibited in law and there are heavy penalties in place for those that ignore the rules. Guidelines in England still urge us to avoid meetings of more than 6 people from different households in an outdoor space and two households indoors.

Even if the Pub is able to reopen, it will be under heavy restrictions to enforce social distancing. Many venues are operating a pre-book only policy and all venues will be required to record the personal details of anyone entering their premises. A few that have opened even since the July 4th easing of restrictions have closed down after testing has shown that customers had the virus.

I received this from the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club as well as the TR Register which is worth perusing in the context of the reputation of the Jensen Owners’ Club both generally and in the present climate:

“At the current time, we are strongly advising our organisers for local groups to continue to cancel all social activities and refrain from road runs or any other meets in groups, until further notice.
Please do NOT drive in groups or convoys. It is important that large groups of classic car owners do not congregate in particular areas, such as parks, or places of natural beauty. Please remember, as a club, we are not only ambassadors for our individual clubs, but also the classic car community as a whole.
At this moment in time, we feel it strikes very much the wrong tone with the public to parade their cars through the streets and country lanes when many people are still in self-isolation within their homes or experiencing hardship or the loss of loved ones. The time will come, soon we hope, but it is not yet.”
JOC Member 10653

1968 Jensen Interceptor 115/2737

1972 Triumph TR6 PI
1967 E-Type Jaguar S1 4.2 OTS
1948 MG TC
shaun

Re: Southern Area July 16th Meeting cancelled

Post by shaun »

Ed,

Taking everything into account, I believe this to be a sensible decision.

Let's just wait and see how things develop over the next few weeks.

I can fully understand the frustrations at not getting out there but better safe than sorry.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822

Return to “Events”