London Classic Car Show 2020 - JOC will not be attending

Post advance news of events you will be attending
shaun

London Classic Car Show 2020 - JOC will not be attending

Post by shaun »

Many of you will no doubt be aware that the London Classic Car Show is moving in 2020 to Olympia.
John Staddon who has organised the Club presence for the past few years at Excel received notification from the organisers that due to space constraints at Olympia, the number of Classic car clubs that can be accommodated has been reduced significantly and the JOC has not made the list of those invited.
Consequently, the Club will not be attending.
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
Pymmie

Re: London Classic Car Show 2020 - JOC will not be attending

Post by Pymmie »

WOW..

That absolutely sucks.

Can’t wait to see the list of the marquees that made it.

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

I second pymmie’s comment. Is there a route to complain. I understand the draw of bigger clubs for the organiser(s) / sponsor but we should not simply accept such side lining. Arghh!!
Karan
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Isn't there another classic car show in London where the club could focus? I want to say Alexandra Palace but probably got that wrong...…...
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I'm not convinced this will be a great loss. This show was a recent newcomer on the scene but in my view the main objective was a showcase for dealers with clubs invited along to give the impression a club event. I feel the organisers were "jumping on the classic car bandwagon". Attendance in 2019 was several thousand lower than in 2018 and I think the organisers were struggling so they are moving to a more easily accessible but smaller event. I think the smaller event at Olympia will be more commercial with dealers occupying proportionately more of the space. I think there are other events that we might look at instead.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

What comparable events have you in mind Chris in terms of visibility?

Karan
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

To add a little to Shaun's post: last year at Excel there were 30 car clubs in attendance, this year at Olympia there will be 10 and they will not be part of the main show but in a separate hall.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I'm not sure what other events Karan, that will need some research and investigation. We probably should look across the spectrum and decide where we should be presenting ourselves and why we should be there. For example, the JOC has not had a stand at the Restoration Show held at the NEC at the end of March - should we? There are lots of Jensen restorations going on, some by individual enthusiasts, others by classic car restorers of which there will inevitably by varying quality and prices so perhaps showing some cars with works going on would be of significant interest to the public and educational to those who are doing a restoration or considering doing one.
The November Classic Car Show at the NEC has been going a long time and is well established as the premier event of the year with a good balance of just about everything for all levels and interests in the classic car world and the results on the JOC stand this year show just why we should be there.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

I went to Silverstone with the Jag club one year. we were allowed to drive around the circuit as it was an anniversary of some kind. possibly 50 years of JOC? at my age I only did one day and left before the rock concert.

https://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/si ... ssic-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlistairT

Post by AlistairT »

Surprise surprise London classic car show lacks wow factor according to this week’s Classic Car Weekly, I’ll update you later when my copy arrives through the door..cheers Alistair
Alistair Thomas
Lancashire
541R

Return to “Events”