Dutch HJGH Autumn weekend 2020

Post advance news of events you will be attending
kees

Re: Dutch HJGH Autumn weekend 2020

Post by kees »

Best to do Rotterdam Europoort (1hr 15m) as that will leave you enough time for the lunch on Sunday as last check-in is at 19:00.
In Zeebrugge (min. 2hrs driving) that is 17:00 which could be a tad tight.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Or Clive eurotunnel
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Helen

Post by Helen »

Not booked yet Clive but, as Kees says Rotterdam is better (you can avoid the Belgian traffic) and the boats are nicer! I shall be liaising with Stuart and Gill Allan but I think we will be going out on the Wednesday night.
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Helen wrote:Not booked yet Clive but, as Kees says Rotterdam is better (you can avoid the Belgian traffic) and the boats are nicer! I shall be liaising with Stuart and Gill Allan but I think we will be going out on the Wednesday night.
But then you have the Dutch traffic so best to have a coffee when you get off the boat. When get to Belgium most of the traffic would have gone
kees

Post by kees »

colin7673 wrote:
Helen wrote:Not booked yet Clive but, as Kees says Rotterdam is better (you can avoid the Belgian traffic) and the boats are nicer! I shall be liaising with Stuart and Gill Allan but I think we will be going out on the Wednesday night.
But then you have the Dutch traffic so best to have a coffee when you get off the boat. When get to Belgium most of the traffic would have gone
Dutch traffic on a Sunday is negligible!!
J-H MkII, 1974
jjorj

Post by jjorj »

Advantage of Dover Calais is lots of sailings or trains, and not weather dependant on the Tunnel.

George
1960 541R 485/6071
kees

Post by kees »

Easy from Kent but if you have to travel from North of London there is that nightmare of the M25.

However last summer I travelled from Dover to Luton Airport planning to take the M25 with the predictable hold-ups showing on my satnav and than changed my mind to go straight on to the A20 through the Blackwall tunnel A12-A10 on to the North Circular A406 and up to the M1 near Edgeware. No problem whatsoever!!
Relived old memories when I was living in Wood Green two blocks away from the North Circular.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
kees

Post by kees »

colin7673 wrote:
On weekdays avoid the areas Rotterdam/Den Haag/Amsterdam/Utrecht/Breda/Eindhoven or A2/A4/A12/A13/A15/A16/A27/A58 between 06:00-09:00 and 15:30-19:00, expect multiple delays, not a lot different from the M25!
So coming of the ferry in Hoek van Holland or Rotterdam Europoort take your time before setting of further inland although these ports are fairly desolate places. Generally there are no big problems in the weekends.

From the French/Belgian ferries it is more or less the same story with most difficulties around Antwerp/Gent/Brussels or N31/A10/A18/R0/A3.
J-H MkII, 1974
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

My plan is to head South from Calais towards Arras and then head East towards Namur and Liege.

According to most of the route planners it is only 15 miles further and should take only take 20 mins more with hopefully a lot less traffic.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Toby

Post by Toby »

Steve Payne wrote:My plan is to head South from Calais towards Arras and then head East towards Namur and Liege.

According to most of the route planners it is only 15 miles further and should take only take 20 mins more with hopefully a lot less traffic.

Steve
That may be the route we take as Brussels always seems congested
1973 Interceptor III
1997 Daimler X308 Super Eight
1937 Ford Model 10 CX
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Toby wrote:
Steve Payne wrote:My plan is to head South from Calais towards Arras and then head East towards Namur and Liege.

Steve
That may be the route we take as Brussels always seems congested
you may also take the route via Dunkerque, Bruges, Antwerp, Hasselt to head for Liege, but anyway you'll end up in some traffic jam
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Kees,

I know this event is still 5 months away, but how's Nederlands getting on with this virus, in your option, at the moment does it look like this event will still be on?

Haven't booked train just yet.
kees

Post by kees »

Hi Colin,
It seems the Covid-19 virus is slowing down in the NL but we have not reached the peak of intensive care patients yet. This is expected in a few weeks time. At the moment we have to stay at home until the 28th of April after which the situation will be evaluated by the authorities. I think the situation in the UK is running behind about 2 or 3 weeks compared to mainland Europe.
We will wait with our decision on the Autumn weekend until the end of June as at that time we can still cancel the hotel without charges. We will try to postpone that date to late July if the hotel cooperates.
However, we have good hope we will be over this virus in time to enjoy the Autumn weekend in September.
Regarding Dover/Folkstone-Calais/Dunquerque there are so many possibilities that booking far in advance is not really necessary in my view. Probably a lot less people will be travelling.
J-H MkII, 1974
hmcnd

Post by hmcnd »

An interesting post , Kees. It could be quite prophetic when you conclude by saying not many people may be travelling September time. It is perhaps worthwhile taking a moment to assess where we all are at the moment. Lockdown or quarantine is just a way of slowing the spread of the disease so the numbers of the sick can be , hopefully, reduced at any one time so as not to overwhelm the healthcare services. One day, the politicians will have to decide when to relax the rules and make a judgement call on the pros and cons of doing so. When that day happens will we all rush out , and behave as if nothing has happened; a cure or a vaccine is, we are told , a long way in the future, or perhaps some, maybe a few, perhaps more, will think deeply as to how they wish to proceed with their lives,and reevaluate their priorities and look at risk differently. Older people and those with underlying conditions will remain older and with underlying conditions. Just because government will say travel is allowed again, may not mean that the status quo will return,and therefore, with this post coming to its point, some members may wish to reconsider their travel to Holland later in the year. If cancellation without financial loss is possible now , or in the next few days, some may wish to do so, and I would venture to suggest, should be given the opportunity of doing so. Just because the event might be able to go ahead might not mean that those who were to attend might still want to.Perhaps the situation might well be ,that not many people will want to travel in Setpember.
jjorj

Post by jjorj »

Hi Kees,

I for one am very happy with your response and think it much better to be measured and take time rather than cancel outright as many seem to have done. There is always the hope it will dissappear as quickly as it arrived. It is always good to have something to look forward to in 2020 and if it needs cancelling nearer the time then so be it but at least have hope for now.

Keep safe, George
1960 541R 485/6071

Return to “Events”