58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

colin7673
now normal...

Norway, 2019

Post by colin7673 »

Because of the success of the last trip to Norway in 2011. it has been said that those that went on this trip would like to travel there again, but this time go further up in the Norwegian country side. Looking at July 2019
But at the moment there is no direct route from the UK to Norway so the options are as follows,
1, Ferry from UK To Holland then Ferry to Norway.
2, Ferry from UK to Holland, then drive via Germany, Denmark then Fast Ferry to Norway.
3 Just drive all the way from UK making stops along the way.

On return we could travel the same way back, or we can catch an overnight Ferry from Bergen, Norway to a port in Denmark, then drive to Hamburg, over night there, then to Holland Ferry back to UK.

On the way I would try to make it a leisure-able journey, by staying two nights in Hamburg, one day for sightseeing, then somewhere nice in Denmark for over night, thus giving the journey to Oslo Norway more relaxed, Hirtsals to Larvik Fast Ferry, 3.5 hours, then 1H.40m drive to Oslo. Two nights in Oslo, one day sightseeing, then start to travel north for some of the most impressive views to be seen.
Norway has been describe as Scotland on steroids,, and it totally is.

I would like to know if anybody would be Interested in the adventure, then I can start making inquiries about cost.
On this trip the old saying is true, the more the merrier and I am sure we would get another great greeting from the Norwiagians and like last time they would be more than happy to help and join in the fun.
The type of hotels I would be looking at would be 3 star +, as long as each room has a shower and at least a sink.... and the type of parking available.
It would be great if we could stay in same hotel in Oslo as we did last time. Amazing.

Some members have already shown Interest.

Anybody else ?
Attachments
IMG_3881.jpg
IMG_3881.jpg (213.76 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Martin R

Re: Norway, 2019

Post by Martin R »

Much as I'd love to, I just can't commit to another big trip within 12 months of rather too much travel this year, including nearly 3 weeks in the USA!
Additionally, July and August tend to be my busiest UK months these days.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Colin, there is still a direct ferry service from Immingham to Brevik with DFDS but it is commercial only as due to some regulation they cannot take leisure fare paying passengers through Immingham. You might like to enquire if it is possible to ship the cars commercially direct to Norway much as you did to the US with particpants flying over and picking up the cars on arrival. Also ferries still run to Esjberg and Gothenberg, again commercial only.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Helen

Post by Helen »

Very interested Colin. We missed out on Oslo last time so it would be good to go back. At least we know about the tunnels now!
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I should add, the last time we went, 2011, it was a BRILLIANT trip and one I'd love to repeat.
To anyone vaguely considering it, I'd say do it!
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Chris_R wrote:Colin, there is still a direct ferry service from Immingham to Brevik with DFDS but it is commercial only as due to some regulation they cannot take leisure fare paying passengers through Immingham. You might like to enquire if it is possible to ship the cars commercially direct to Norway much as you did to the US with particpants flying over and picking up the cars on arrival. Also ferries still run to Esjberg and Gothenberg, again commercial only.
Thank you Chris, I have looked at these but by transporting the cars this way will involve extras cost, IE air fair
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

We are interested. Although, We have some plans for July - when would you need to know 100%.
Karan
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

colin7673 wrote:
Chris_R wrote:Colin, there is still a direct ferry service from Immingham to Brevik with DFDS but it is commercial only as due to some regulation they cannot take leisure fare paying passengers through Immingham. You might like to enquire if it is possible to ship the cars commercially direct to Norway much as you did to the US with particpants flying over and picking up the cars on arrival. Also ferries still run to Esjberg and Gothenberg, again commercial only.
Thank you Chris, I have looked at these but by transporting the cars this way will involve extras cost, IE air fair
That's true Colin, but you'd save on petrol costs of not driving approx 1,300 miles and also you'd save on the cabin costs on the Ferry to Holland (assuming overnight crossing) and also time taken to get yourselves to Norway. It was just a suggestion.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
hmcnd

Post by hmcnd »

Certainly interested,,,look forward to further detail in due course
brendan

Post by brendan »

Hi Colin
Did it last time would love to do,it again
8926 136/8195 BJM 639
ManRo

Post by ManRo »

Hi Colin,

I wouldn't miss the rain at Bergen, not for love nor money. Thus I’m interested

Horst
Horst

Jensen Interceptor Convertible / 23111398 (JI 440)
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Sounds very interesting, one further cost for us to consider is car insurance, as Norway is not in the EU, we may not be covered by our present insurers, and with Brexit looming, I'm sure the costs will only go up, whether they need to or not.
Out of interest how expensive is Norway, is it comparable with Switzerland, or more/less expensive, as this year's Swiss trip may be a bench mark as to whether I could afford it.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Kevin Birch wrote:Sounds very interesting, one further cost for us to consider is car insurance, as Norway is not in the EU, we may not be covered by our present insurers.
Kevin, Switzerland is not in the EU either but you have told you Insurance company you are planning to travel there and I'm sure you will have breakdown and recovery cover, just in case, so it will be just the same for Norway. Also I believe their is still border control
Kevin Birch wrote: Out of interest how expensive is Norway, is it comparable with Switzerland, or more/less expensive, as this year's Swiss trip may be a bench mark as to whether I could afford it.
I can not give you an answer to this question as I never have been to Switzerland, always driven around the country and never in, but have been told Switzerland can be expensive. We was told this about Norway, but also told the further north in Norway you go the cheaper it is. Some things are very expensive in Norway like Whiskey, but other things are reasonable, we found last time we went, we did the city tour, if you was willing to look you could find things that were cheaper, but most of the time the cost was reasonable, for where you are.
The trick is not too always compare to prices at home, but don't always eat in the first restaurant you come across.
Really need someone to answer this question that has been to both countries.
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Thank you for all replies, but will be putting this trip 'on hold' until our government ant the Europeans can agree on something. re Drivers Licence & Passports.
kees

Post by kees »

Prices in Norway, Sweden and Denmark are very reasonable and comparable to the UK, Holland, Belgium, Germany etc. Just alcoholic beverages are a bit more expensive but beer not all that much compared to the UK.
I can recommend driving from Calais/Dunkerque/Oostende or Rotterdam/Hoek van Holland all the way up to Denmark taking the toll bridge to Copenhagen and the toll bridge or short ferry (Helsingor) to Sweden and then along the coast towards Norway via Gothenburg etc. avoiding the motorways amap.
A very nice place to stay in Denmark is the Brødremenighedens Hotel in the amazing historic and charming town of Cristiansfeld. I stayed there last summer when repatriating a car for the ANWB (the Dutch AA). Safe public parking area next to the hotel. I think around 20-25 rooms, 3 star, disabled facilities, adequate rooms, not overly luxurious, exceptionally good restaurant, very clean and perfect friendly service.
I would be very interested in participating, question is: is Anne Marie up to this?
There will be no problem with passports and I presume no problems with insurance but may be some extra costs with some UK/IRL insurers. On the Continent drivers are usually automatically covered in at least all European countries, not only EU.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977

Return to “Events”