Jensen Tour of Southern Ireland - September 2018

Post advance news of events you will be attending
Clive Bishop

Jensen Tour of Southern Ireland - September 2018

Post by Clive Bishop »

As previously promised, the dates for the tour have now been fixed and the itinerary is as follows:

Departing Pembrokeshire to Ireland on the 06th September 2018.

Return from Dublin to Holyhead on the 17th September 2018

This means it is a 12 day tour at a relaxed pace for you to make decisions of where and when to stop between places on the "Wild Atlantic Way" but with the following inclusive items:

Package Includes:

Ferry crossing from Pembrokeshire to Rosslare
1 nights Half Board accommodation at the Brandon House Hotel, New Ross
Guided tour of Waterford Crystal
1 nights bed and breakfast at the Rochestown Park Hotel, Cork.
Coach transfers to Midleton Distillery for a private guided tour and tasting followed by dinner at the Ferrit & Lee Restaurant and coach transfers back to the hotel.
1 nights half board accommodation at The Maritime Hotel, Bantry
1 nights half board accommodation at the Kenmare Bay Hotel
1 nights bed and breakfast at The Brehon, Killarney - evening free to enjoy this busy nightlife town and its restaurants
Ferry crossing across The Shannon river
1 nights half board accommodation at The Falls hotel, Ennistymon
Visit to the Cliff of Moher visitor centre and Tower.
2 nights half board accommodation at the Galway Bay Hotel Salthills, Galway - option to do more of the Wild Atlantic Way or explore Galway City
Tullamore distillery tour and tasting
3 nights bed and breakfast at the Royal Marine Hotel, Dun Laoghaire for Dublin ****
Return coach transport for dinner at Johnny Foxes with evening Irish celebration !
Guinness Storehouse tour and tasting in the Gravity Bar and engraved glass, including transport from the hotel to the Guinness Storehouse.
Dinner at the Royal St George Yacht Club as arranged by Martin Kennedy
Entrance to Powercourt Gardens and Waterfall
Ferry crossing from Dublin Port to Holyhead.
Wild Atlantic Way route map for each day
Wild Atlantic Way guide book.
Tour memento
Support vehicle with spares, fuel etc also for extra luggage for those that take a Jensen Healey, 541 etc.

*** Dublin has a number of major EU events next May, June and September along with the all Ireland sports finals. Car parking space is also limited at hotels, hence the decision to move south out of the city

Half board in the hotels includes: Full Irish Breakfast and a choice three course evening meal
All hotels are four star and have guaranteed, allocated parking for the group.

Pricing is:

JOC Club Members (UK, EU)

Twin share - car and room: GB£1550.00 per person
Single person per car and room: GB£1970.00 per person

Non Members

Twin share - car and room: GB£1600.00 per person
Single person per car and room: GB£2020.00 per person

Price is based upon 12 cars / 24 persons - adjustments for final numbers will be made for the balance payment.

Other pricing combinations possible with shared cars / rooms, but these will be priced on request and subject to availability if more than two persons per room.

Prices are calculated using the current (September 2017) average Euro rate and so the final balance payable in June of 2018 will reflect the exchange rate at that time as provided by the JOC bank.

Not Included

Upgrade to Club Class on the Irish sea crossing - £32.00 return per person.
Parking whilst not at the hotels.
Any road tolls
Items of a personal nature
Drinks unless otherwise stated in the final itinerary
Any additional food other than what will be stated in the final itinerary
Car insurance cover
Personal travel insurance - recommended to cover cancelation due to illness etc
Petrol !! Although whilst in Ireland you will probably do no more than 1300 miles, assuming you don't get lost.

The package will be a complete tour package including the above items and will adhere to the UK / EU package travel regulations and so there will be a booking form with term and conditions provided to book on this tour. This will be available second week of October along with a dedicated website for the tour high lights and hotel details.

It is open to members of the JOC UK and similar clubs in Europe. Plus for those that are on the forum that would like to join with your Jensen's but are not members, then you are also welcome - please see pricing above

It is hoped that some owners in Ireland will be able to join us for parts or all of the trip to add character and localised guidance whilst we are on the route, input has already been given by Martin Kennedy & Justin in Limerick.

I am also hoping to secure some sponsors for the trip which along with on going negotiations with some suppliers and with the Euro rate dropping against the pound means that the final pricing will be reduced for all.

Ireland is never a cheap option and with the current exchange rates this has not helped either price wise, however for a 12 days inclusive programme all operated at net tour operator rates (no profit ), I hope that you see the value as even if I stripped it all out and just had B&B at the hotels, all the extras would cost you a lot more (visits, meals etc) than the overall cost show above.

I look forward to hearing from you and will contact all those that have already shown advance interest.
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
hmcnd

Re: Jensen Tour of Southern Ireland - September 2018

Post by hmcnd »

This sounds like a great trip. I am awaiting confirmation of when the Dutch weekend will be next year, hoping it can be combined with the weekend in Switzerland. We could not do all three, so I will have to remain non committed to this at the moment
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Well what I have seen / interpreted is that:

Dutch weekend - 28 - 30 September 2018?

Swiss Event - 04-08 October 2018

We will probably do the Dutch weekend as well, like we did last year in Volendam.

I know it I difficult to fit it all in, but that is why we have put the Irish tour into the beginning of September and also done it as a inclusive as possible programme so that all major components are included without the need for ferry. extra hotels, evening meals etc.

As ever, people can make a choice of what they want to do and how far they want to drive etc.
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

That's a fine tour package you've put together Clive. You and Lyndsey have been busy, that's for sure.

I can imagine it's easy to underestimate how much time is expended on general organisation and sorting out of the fine detail. So many thanks from us all for making the effort and offering such a great opportunity to us Jensenites.

Still trying to fund one restoration too many....or we'd be at the front of this tour!

Stuart
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

[quote="Mark1StuStill trying to fund one restoration too many....or we'd be at the front of this tour!

Stuart[/quote]

Its a year away and so all you need to do is drop a few Volvos and a Mk 3, that'll leave you the choice of 2 to lead with
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

:lol:

Mint Volvo 360GLT going to a new home on Thursday (I politely refused to sell it to the buyer 18months ago....then agreed to sell (without realising it was the same person) when he contacted me again recently :oops:

51,000 mile Volvo 240GLT Saloon I've owned for 4 years nearly finished and then up for sale. Volvo C70 coupe to be detailed next Monday (which gives me the option to sell that if necessary).....and I've just taxed my 61,000 mile Volvo 240GLT estate which has been languishing in a lock up for 18 months.....which I expect to see me out! :D

I'm working on it Clive. Honest!
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

I see you have kept the best Volvo for yourself.
kees

Post by kees »

Clive, a very comprehensive package for a very reasonable price. This will be a beautiful and spectacular tour. Last year we did the Wild Atlantic Way from Killarney to Sligo, this year from Sligo to the Giants Causeway. In the previous 45 years we must have done all the roads from the Wild Atlantic Way in the South from Waterford up to Killarney and then some during our yearly+ visits to Ireland. In the near future we will do the East coast.
Be aware that some roads are at best single track only and grow grass in the middle. It is why we rented the smallest car available.
Kees Oudesluijs
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

kees wrote:Clive, a very comprehensive package for a very reasonable price. This will be a beautiful and spectacular tour. Last year we did the Wild Atlantic Way from Killarney to Sligo, this year from Sligo to the Giants Causeway. In the previous 45 years we must have done all the roads from the Wild Atlantic Way in the South from Waterford up to Killarney and then some during our yearly+ visits to Ireland. In the near future we will do the East coast.
Be aware that some roads are at best single track only and grow grass in the middle. It is why we rented the smallest car available.
Kees Oudesluijs
Hi Kees,

Thank you for your comments and I have ben assured that the main WAW route is now weed free and useable as more vehicles use it in the high season which stops the week before we go.

If this tour is successful then in 2020 (which when you say it sounds a long time away) then I will plan for the Northern sector - Galway to Dublin around the North and down the East.

Lets hope many will want to experience this route for its scenery and not so much for any distance driving.
kees

Post by kees »

Hello Clive,

The main Wild Atlantic Way is fine. It is the smaller roads of the WAW to the very coastline and points of interest that can be tricky. Not really something to worry about though, you just have to drive carefully and slowly. Some locals drive like maniacs.
The scenery is spectacular and the driving mostly very entertaining although there are a few short boring sections following main roads, mainly in the Northern part.
In all (over 2 years) it took us 9 days to travel along the WAW from Killarney/Tralee to the Giants causeway and we did not even visit every POI as it is easy to miss some of the smaller access roads. Plenty of suitable hotels along the way.

A very nice hotel fairly near the Giants Causeway to keep in mind is the Royal Court Hotel
( royalcourthotel.co.uk ) just East of Portrush, nice staff, excellent food and rooms but weirdly with paper napkins and table cloth at dinner!!
Very good and safe parking.

Spectacular views over the beach and Atlantic Ocean and near a famous golf course.

Cheers,
Kees Oudesluijs
Last edited by kees on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
jpmf

Post by jpmf »

Took a blast to Connemara on Sunday, between dodging sheep, hire cars in the middle of the road, and visitors who don't look right first before crossing the road :shock: I remembered to take a few pics.

Forgot how rough the roads are, plenty of dips and humps, the suspension got a good workout (mind you we weren't hanging about :lol: ).

Joyce Country:

A trio of Triumphs:

Kilary Harbour:

Justin

CV8 104/2010
1967 TR4A
1976 Reliant Scimitar GTE Se6 https://www.flickr.com/photos/147918531@N04/
1972 TR6 restoration https://www.flickr.com/photos/147918531 ... 2947056502
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

I would like to ascertain the numbers of people interested in going on this tour as I need to make a decision if it is viable and people are interested enough to commit deposits etc in January / February.

It seems a long way of but with a tour of this complexity we need to keep on top of things timing wise for all 26 + component suppliers of this tour.

Once a administrative decision is made in early December the booking forms will be available and also there will be, if this tour is going ahead a web page with all the itinerary and links to the places you will be staying and visiting.

I realise that the popular Swiss and Dutch trips are later in the month and that this next year there is also the JOC Le Mans trip so a lot to choose from, hence why I am asking for an early show of hands.

Regards

Clive
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Just to say because I was away I have missed the publishing of this tour in the next edition of the club magazine. So sorry but I will have a booking form done by the end of the week and the bookings will be open immediately. I will also put up a small website where you can see the planned itinerary as it is quite extensive in its content. Its not ready yet but http://www.jensenirishtour.com will be where it will be located.

I know lots is going on next year but for this one I have had to wait until certain club processes are in place to safe guard the club and you all that would like to go - similar to booking a holiday with a travel agent etc, so I am sorry for the delay.
To advance register then by all means post a message below , PM me or email me at Wessex@joc.org.uk
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Website now live !!! http://www.jensenirishtour.com I will add more pictures in a gallery over time - but the best thing would be to come along and see for yourself.
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Could I have a show of hands for those interested in going on this tour. Thank you for those that have said they have changed their plans and are now heading off to Switzerland but I need to update the suppliers soon as to potential numbers.

Like I have posted all the details are on the website listed above.

Many thanks

Return to “Events”