West Coast of Scotland Tour anyone?

Post advance news of events you will be attending
KevinB

West Coast of Scotland Tour anyone?

Post by KevinB »

I've been thinking for a while that I may organise a small tour up here around the roads of Argyll. So I am just putting a few feelers out to see how much interest there would be.
The best time of the year for the weather, based on the last few years, is April to June but obviously no guarantees. It is obviously too late to organise for this year so I'd be looking at Spring 2015.

We would be based from our Bed & Breakfast http://www.fascadail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in the Argyll village of Arrochar. other accommodation is available within Arrochar. Maybe make it over two or three days then giving time for those who want to to go off exploring other parts of Scotland later. I'd make a package of it to include accommodation, breakfast and dinner at local pub/restaurants.

We could take in the obligatory distilleries and breweries. The gardens of Argyll are best at that time of year. The historic Rest and Be Thankful Hillclimb is a couple of miles up the road so I'll ask the land owner if we could have a run up that.

http://www.gardens-of-argyll.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.visitscotland.com/destinatio ... yll-isles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ssa.nls.uk/film/2120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a fact, can't guarantee if it is true or not, but Argyll has more coastline than France.

Any takers? you never know, you may need to bring a passport with you by then!
Kevin B
Healey Mk1 1140/10091

Scotland Rep.
Jim A

Re: West Coast of Scotland Tour anyone?

Post by Jim A »

Hi Kevin,

Would be up for that - Car is not currently on the road but am hoping that will happen late this spring / early summer, so by spring 2015 I should have most of the major gremlins sorted :)

We have some friends near Campbeltown - don't know if you were planning to head out that way?...

Jim
JOC Member 10,003
Jensen Interceptor Mk II 123/4228
KevinB

Post by KevinB »

Jim A wrote:Hi Kevin,

Would be up for that - Car is not currently on the road but am hoping that will happen late this spring / early summer, so by spring 2015 I should have most of the major gremlins sorted :)

We have some friends near Campbeltown - don't know if you were planning to head out that way?...

Jim
Hi Jim, looks like it would be a good run for you. It is around a 220 mile round trip from here to Campbeltown so maybe just too far in a day if stops are included. Plenty of time for you to see friends in Campbeltown before or after though. Take the ferry from Campbeltown ferry to Ardrossan. You only need to drive one way then on the Kintyre peninsula.

Kevin
Darren

Post by Darren »

Kevin I'd be very interested depending on the dates, I also have friends in Southend Cambletown and they are due a visit and Ive promised the kids a trip to Tobermoray
Darren Barnes
Early Int. INT203449
541 541/905633
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

Kevin,

Yesterday I was rereading Andrew Tweddle's account of his tour of the Scottish Highlands with Mitch Fraser. I was thinking how wonderful it would be to go Jensening around Scotland. I would be very interested.
Last edited by PaulMcElhinney on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
KevinB

Post by KevinB »

PaulMcElhinney wrote:Kevin,

Yesterday I was rereading Andrew Tweddle's account of his tour of the Scottish Highlands with Mitch Fraser. It was thinking how wonderful it would be to go Jensening around Scotland. I would be very interested.
Something for the diary then Paul.

Kevin
Kevin B
Healey Mk1 1140/10091

Scotland Rep.
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

Yes indeed.
jjorj

Post by jjorj »

Could well be interested provided it doesn't clash with other runs and I can get the car finished in time. Oh and if there is still petrol left after all the Interceptors have been using it up.
George
1960 541R 485/6071
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I might be interested subject to dates and being in the UK at the time.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Kevin
I would certainly be interested, I`ve been on many tours round Scotland since the London to Cape Wrath run in 2007. The roads are usually clear if you keep away from the Honey Pots and there always seems to be plenty of places to visit. I would suggest you set a date as soon as you can before we fill up our diaries with other events, May and June are very popular. Hopefully I can encourage some other members from Cumbria.
Graham.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Sounds like a good idea. Apart from the odd single day business trips to Glasgow, I've never visited Scotland.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Dion

Post by Dion »

Count me in as well. Never been to Scotland, this sounds a good opportunity.
What are your thoughts - a couple of days?
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Have to be more than just a couple of days. It's over 400 miles each way for me, I don't fancy the idea of driving 400 miles only to do the same in the opposite direction only a couple of days later. 4 or 5 days at least including a weekend. Or options for short/long stays.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

Yes I'd like to spend at least 3 days in Scotland.
Darren

Post by Darren »

looks like your onto a winner here Kevin, best get some prospective dates sorted before you jet off on your Jollies :mrgreen:
Darren Barnes
Early Int. INT203449
541 541/905633

Return to “Events”