Sandwell

Post advance news of events you will be attending
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Sandwell

Post by VFK44 »

[EDIT July 31st - this show IS BACK ON Sunday 25 August and Monday 26 August 2013. Scroll to end of topic for latest news!]

I've just removed the Interceptor Day at Sandwell from the list of shows we support (on the main JOC site). Does anyone local know if this is likely to be back in 2014? I remember there was a fuss about the sponsors pulling out and council taking over, or vice versa.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
zacmarshall

Re: Sandwell

Post by zacmarshall »

Sandwell is the same weekend as the Ludlow car show / beer / food festival, Steve Johnson used to organise Sandwell but now organises Ludlow.

Steve Zacarolli (Zac2) is the midlands area rep but has been at Ludlow, maybe someone else want to take on Sandwell?
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I've just looked on the Council website and they promise:
The ever-popular Sandwell Show is once again taking place over the August Bank Holiday(AUG 25/26) on the showground at Sandwell Valley.

And this year there will be a display of historic vehicles that have particular connections with Sandwell and the Black Country.
I wonder which vehicles that could mean? :wink:
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Darren

Post by Darren »

I think you would make a great event organiser Stephen and I'll give you all the backing you need :lol:
Darren Barnes
Early Int. INT203449
541 541/905633
Keith

Post by Keith »

Darren wrote:I think you would make a great event organiser Stephen and I'll give you all the backing you need :lol:

I second that!
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I thought it was usually earlier:

Sandwell Council cabinet member for neighbourhood services Councillor Ian Jones said: “The Vintage Car show has not been cancelled or scrapped.

“Because of the extremely wet weather we have experienced in recent months we could not guarantee that the showground would be dry enough to stage the event at its normal time in May.

“It has now been decided to move it and stage it as part of the highly successful Sandwell Show over the August Bank Holiday when the ground should be much dryer and firmer.

However, because a lot of the exhibitors tend to be signed up to other shows throughout the year, this year’s car show will be smaller but it will go ahead.”
Stephen, Epping, Essex
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

We're not the only ones needing help.
Organisers of a big Sandwell community event are looking for volunteers.
The Sandwell Horticultural and Midland Leek Show is part of the August Bank Holiday fun at the Sandwell Show
Stephen, Epping, Essex
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

I shall have plenty of time on my hands in 2014, I'd be happy to assist in organising a presence at Sandwell. I've got no experience but plenty of enthusiasm and I'm local.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

In 2014, it may well be back to May again. Just for info.
Stephen, Epping, Essex
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

I have just reread this thread and realised that the Sandwell Show has been moved to the August Bank holiday weekend this year, not 2014. Are the club planning a presence at the show? I would be willing to liaise with the organisers and make arrangements if required. Paul Mac.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Thanks Paul. My mother-in-law is seriously ill and we are arranging visits to her in the Isle of Wight throughout July and August and I didn't want any further organisational complications. Plus I still need a job to finance my travelling expenses. :(
Stephen, Epping, Essex
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Paul, speak to Darren Barnes about this is he hasn't already been in touch.

Zac
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Darren

Post by Darren »

Paul you have a PM
Darren Barnes
Early Int. INT203449
541 541/905633
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

After missing each other on several occasions I have today spoken to Tony Potter at Sandwell council. He is organising the Sandwell Show on Sunday 25 August and Monday 26 August 2013. They are inviting a number of car clubs that have a particular Midlands connection to display vehicles this year. They are very eager to have a representation from the Jensen Owners Club. He asked how many cars we'd be able to obtain. I guessed 15-20, he said that that would be fine. He surprised me by saying that the council are willing to make a donation to the club and asked me to suggest a figure??? I said I'd canvass ideas and get back to him.

I appreciate that it's short notice. Can I please canvass the availabilty of owners and cars for those two days? Tony explained that they'd like displays completed for 10am on each day so that they can open gates at 11am. It would be nice to have each model represented.

Where can I get hold of some club paraphernalia to enhance the display, flags, posts/chains etc?
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Put me down for it, I can bring an event shelter although it may be worth having a word with someone area reps and see if the new ones have the club logo (I think Darren Barnes was sorting out some sides with the logo for the new ones). I will have a word with Terry / Lewi and sort out a sail flag.

When Steve Johnston used to organise it a few people would stay over at the Village Hotel in Dudley and have a meal on the Saturday evening, may be worth thinking about that.
JOC Member No. 5061

Return to “Events”