Dave Pearce's Interceptor III

How to restore an Interceptor and win the President's cup
zacmarshall

Dave Pearce's Interceptor III

Post by zacmarshall »

This must be one of the best known cars on the club forum. Dave Pearce (DPP on the forum) bought 128/4430 as a restoration project in September 2011, he then shared the restoration of the car with us on the forum. I think Dave's restoration has served as a fine example to us all and also acted as an inspiration to many. Dave now runs the North West area of the club along with Dave Robins and Paul Tootill

Dave won the the club's top concours award, the President's Cup, with the car at this years International
(photo by Nic Cooper)

See the September 2014 magazine (issue 235) for the full concours results.

The car was also featured on the front page of the August 2014 magazine (issue 236)

This is the car as bought, as with many Interceptors it didn't look too bad :roll:

To see many more photos and details of the restoration see the topic on the forum here:
http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12458

The topic is one of the longest members car's topics, running to 17 pages
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
zacmarshall

Re: Dave Pearce's Interceptor III

Post by zacmarshall »

A couple of photos by David Wright of Dave's car at Hampton Court Palace today

C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Arcnewal

Post by Arcnewal »

Absolutely stunning, it's lovely to see one restored more or less back to how it was when it left the factory.
DPP

Post by DPP »

I do like old cars to feel like old cars so try to keep them close to how they left the factory, lucky for me that although this car had suffered over the years it had not been modified apart from some additional wiring for a fan override and the removal of the Learjet which had been kept and was in the boot.

I didn't know at the time but buying an old car to play with has considerably changed my life, since buying the car I have met lots of other great Jensen owners some of whom have become close friends.
I have also decided to change my everyday car from a modern Audi to an old Vauxhall which is very basic but always makes me smile when driving to work.

The restoration soon moved from building a solid reliable car to becoming obsessed with the details as my OCD crept in, but even so I wasn't prepared for the amount of attention the car received at the International this year as I only see the bits Im not happy with some of which have been sorted out and some I will attend to over the winter.

I had a great time at Hampton Court Concours over the weekend, on the Saturday I drove through the grounds in a convoy of very expensive cars where the most common cars were Astons, Ferraris and Maseratis which had arrived on covered trailers and transporters mixed in with my Jensen driven 250 miles the day before as it was an early start.
This was an amazing convoy to be part of an the sound of the cars was unforgettable. We had a nice spot to park up on Saturday with the palace across from the car.

On Sunday we attended again to meet up with the South Downs area who were putting on a club display and made us feel very welcome, this was another great day with the bonus of some sun.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

I have to say when I see a superficially nice Jensen taken completely apart, I sometimes wonder whether it will ever see the light of day again, and if it does, whether the finished article does the owner and marque proud.

No worries with you Dave. An awesome effort and outcome. Congratulations.

Stuart

Return to “September 2014”